Lily - My English Setter became an angel April 24, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lily - My English Setter

Bless your IMS for asking your family to 'give her a chance'.

My neighbor asked me a few weeks back if I knew of anyone looking for a pure bred lab puppy as they we considering trying to re-home their pup. Her name is Daisy and she is 10 months, only a couple of weeks older than our Toby pup. She described Daisy as being skittish and too rough for their older golden dog.

I offered for her to bring her over to meet Toby to try to socialize her. I put Toby in my father in laws yard (right next door) so she could have time to sniff around our yard alone. Daisy was so fearful she could not even bring her in my front gate. She had to take her to the back. She hid behind her owner and snarled at me. I leashed Kinser and brought him out first. She snapped at him. I put him back in the house. She wouldn't go near the fence line to see Toby and Rocky. After about 20 min. I leashed Toby and brought him over. She continued to hide behind her owner. I ran Toby around the yard on his leash. She looked a bit interested but we left her alone. Toby and I ran around some more and she finally dropped her front paws and the butt went up in the air. We let them sniff. She was still scared but showed signs of wanting to play. So I unleashed Toby and they did a few laps chasing each other around the yard. Then she was beat and hid behind her owner again. Was back to being nervous if Toby went near her so I leashed him again.

When I looked at her I noticed her belly fur from her spay was not grown in. She was spayed in march. She was foaming at the mouth. A two minute romp around the yard tired out a 10 month old lab pup. She was fearful and reactive. I started asking questions. Found that she was spayed at her regular vet, which is closer to the Syracuse area. But she was vaccinated locally, at the same animal hospital Decker's original vet owns. She had to carry all 65 pounds of Daisy into the vets because she was so fearful. She asked the vet about the lack of fur re-growth from the spay and was told not to worry about it. She was told try taking her to Petco, etc... to socialize her. Can you imagine - taking a snarling and snapping (fearful and reactive) pup to a place with children who might want to pet a puppy? Thankfully my neighbor didn't feel that was a good idea either.

I recommended she take her back to her normal vet for a second opinion. I recommended she have some blood work run and to ask the vet about the possibility of her having an unbalanced thyroid. She's very young and it would be unlikely, but not impossible.

That first picture of Lily reminds me sooo much of how Decker looked before his hypothyroidism was diagnosed. I think his initial mobility challenges were a result of the low thyroid levels and that when he lost his vision and became so lethargic and fell so often that one of those falls caused his spinal compression injury.

She brought Daisy over a second time and she was able to bring her in the front gate. Daisy still won't let me pet her but she didn't snarl at me this time. She ran with Toby again for about two minutes and then was exhausted and foaming at the mouth again. She's going to try to bring her over once a week to see if there is any behavioral improvement. She made great progress from week one to week two so we are hoping week three is continued improvement. I still hope she takes her back to her original vet to ask some questions though. Having seen first hand the impact of having a low thyroid can have on the life of a dog - no question in my mind it's worth at least exploring the possibility.

I'm so glad you have 'only diabetes' to manage these days!
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

She's such a beauty
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
        Bless your IMS for asking your family to 'give her a chance'.

My neighbor asked me a few weeks back if I knew of anyone looking for a pure bred lab puppy as they we considering trying to re-home their pup. Her name is Daisy and she is 10 months, only a couple of weeks older than our Toby pup. She described Daisy as being skittish and too rough for their older golden dog.

When I looked at her I noticed her belly fur from her spay was not grown in. She was spayed in march. She was foaming at the mouth. A two minute romp around the yard tired out a 10 month old lab pup. She was fearful and reactive. I started asking questions. Found that she was spayed at her regular vet, which is closer to the Syracuse area. But she was vaccinated locally, at the same animal hospital Decker's original vet owns. She had to carry all 65 pounds of Daisy into the vets because she was so fearful. She asked the vet about the lack of fur re-growth from the spay and was told not to worry about it. She was told try taking her to Petco, etc... to socialize her. Can you imagine - taking a snarling and snapping (fearful and reactive) pup to a place with children who might want to pet a puppy? Thankfully my neighbor didn't feel that was a good idea either.

I recommended she take her back to her normal vet for a second opinion. I recommended she have some blood work run and to ask the vet about the possibility of her having an unbalanced thyroid. She's very young and it would be unlikely, but not impossible.

I'm so glad you have 'only diabetes' to manage these days!
        Holli... Your neighbor's Daisy sure displays a lot of the symptoms of a thyroid problem. I hope she follows through with the testing. I wouldn't want to wish hypothyroidism on her pup, but ... If that's what it is, the soloxine meds really do the trick and are so inexpensive.

On another note... I was Googling around last night and found a video of Lily when she was a wee pup still living at the breeder's house. Lily is the pup looking at herself in the window. She was named Violet at the time, but when we met her, we just knew she was more like a Lily.

http://youtu.be/UzpD6qEvDZ0

Also found a video of Lily's big brother Cowboy ...

http://youtu.be/X4Wtn-ugyHY

Mike
        Last edited by MikeMurphy; 06-08-2014, 01:24 PM.
        Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
        Diabetes: Aug 2013
        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Hi everyone. Back for an update on Lily's BG levels.

A month ago, I started trying to figure out why Lily's fasting levels were so high and the rest of the day things looked pretty good. It appeared that she might be getting too much insulin. Reducing her insulin seemed to help for a few days, but then the high fasting levels came back.

This thread suggested to me that a high protein diet can cause high BG levels at fasting ...

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5664

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
          When people start talking really high protein, ultra low carb diets for diabetics, I always feel the need to caution them to be prepared for those numbers to go up. I have noticed they tend to have really high fasting numbers. Too much up and down for me.
          Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
          forbes was always on blue buffalo. i had to go from wilderness to weight control grain free. the protein hiked his numbers the grain free worked for him.
          So, last week I switched her diet from Blue Buffalo Wilderness Healthy Weight (30% protein) to Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free Healthy Weight (20% protein). I also started giving her a teaspoon of Benefiber with each meal.

Did a curve today and the numbers look very flat and no more sky high fasting numbers. I'm gonna increase her from 18 to 19 units and see if I can get her down to more acceptable numbers.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Here's last months curve on the high protein diet and 19 units...

And today's curve on the lower protein diet and 18 units...

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Mike, I found Vinny's numbers on BBW were much higher, not just at fasting. When I thought we had given it a valiant effort, I decided to hit the reset button back to something I knew worked. My plan was, when we got his numbers under control again, to give the BB Freedom a try. Glad to see it has worked for you!

I guess we both have dogs that a little protein goes a long way with!
            Mel
            Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

yes the blood sugar does look quite stable . jesse did not do well on wilderness either .

raising the dose to stable blood sugar but elevated is usually a good choice

any deterioration in the numbers with raising the dose can point to a problem but you do need to give the dose time to settle
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Wow -that is a big difference. The company that makes the food Maggie is on now has a new brand that has higher protein and it is supposed to be "ultra" low glycemic. I got some samples and found her sugar went up quite a bit for what should have been a "better" food. I had to attribute it to the protein. The carb sources were the same.

I have a dog supply store - actually it is a boutique. All the dog food reps come in and tell me how their latest food is a miracle for diabetic dogs. Some of it is as high as 55% protein. I take great joy in breaking down their whole marketing scheme and informing them how little they understand diabetes.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                  On another note... I was Googling around last night and found a video of Lily when she was a wee pup still living at the breeder's house. Lily is the pup looking at herself in the window. She was named Violet at the time, but when we met her, we just knew she was more like a Lily.

http://youtu.be/UzpD6qEvDZ0

Also found a video of Lily's big brother Cowboy ...

http://youtu.be/X4Wtn-ugyHY

Mike

OMG - they are adorable! Curious Lily and roly poly Cowboy! Wonderful that you still have a connection to her brother.
                  Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

• Lily and the Roses

Nothing diabetes related to report. But ... Today we bought some roses and while I was moving them into the backyard, Lily decided to lay down next to them. She looked sooooo cozy, I had to take some pics....

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

jesse likes flowers to
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I love this dog....simply love her.
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Love the pictures!!!!
                          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

• Re: Lily and the Roses

She is just gorgeous and such a lady. Lilly is such an appropriate name
                            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

She's not afraid to stop and smell the roses - both Lily and the roses are beautiful.

We were somewhat near your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Took the kid and four other 10 year old girls to Darien Lake for a very, very belated birthday celebration. Thankfully the weather Gods were on our side and everyone had a great time. Only one coaster kid in the bunch though. We'd planned to take them for pizza & wings on the way home but ended up leaving too late for that. The husband was a Saint and concluded that a group of 10 year old girls can eat more than a football team can - LOL!

Comment

Beautiful. The middle pic is my favorite
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X