Dasani - Miniature Schnauzer - New to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dasani - Miniature Schnauzer - New to this

How lovely to hear that things are going along well.

Natalie

Comment

It's been awhile since I've posted. We are hanging in there. We had to up the Vetsulin dose to 9 units in January and we had been having some high numbers and thought we might be dealing with a UTI. Regular vet sent out for urine culture and put him on Amoxil 250 2Xday for 10 days. No UTI, but finished the antibiotics, as directed. These were finished on 6/30/17. He also sent out for bloodwork and nothing came back remarkably different than what was done in January.

We had a scheduled visit with the Internal Med Vet on 7/5 to review the latest curve and see if he might need a Vetsulin dose change. While we were there she flushed his bladder with a catheter to remove any crystals that were possibly causing him some irritation. On 7/7 he began to have fresh blood on solid stool. I immediately panicked and went to our regular vet on 7/8 with a stool sample. They prescribed Metronidazole 125mg 2x a day for 6 days.

His stool sample came back today negative for parasites. He is still having the blood on the outside of the solid stool. I called the Internal Med Vet, and she thinks it may be a polyp and to continue the Metronidazole for a total of 2 weeks. My regular vet did a rectal exam and said she felt nothing in the way of a polyp or anything. The Internal Med Vet can't see us until 7/24.

I keep reading internet stories about Metronidazole and side effects of nausea and vomiting, etc. I've been so fortunate that Dasani hasn't had any GI stresses and always has wanted to eat, and I'm hoping to keep it that way, if possible.

Do any of you have experience with giving that dosage for 2 weeks? He is 22 pounds. Any thoughts or experience with anything like this?

Thank you so much if you have read this rather lengthy post.
      Dasani, Miniature Schnauzer 13 yrs old - Diagnosed Diabetic 3/21/15 - 22 pounds - 9 units Vetsulin 2X a day - Feed a mix of W/D and Solid Gold Wee Bit. Fish oil pearl supplement twice a day to help with high triglycerides.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee04 View Post
        They prescribed Metronidazole 125mg 2x a day for 6 days.

I keep reading internet stories about Metronidazole and side effects of nausea and vomiting, etc.
        Do any of you have experience with giving that dosage for 2 weeks? He is 22 pounds. Any thoughts or experience with anything like this?

Thank you so much if you have read this rather lengthy post.
        Flagyl is a brand, ... I used to keep it on hand for when / if Otis had diarrhea or bowel issues. I used the 200 mg tabs. I believe the recommended dosage is 10 - 11 mg / #. So the 125 mg x 2 = 250 mg is a "normal" dose for Dasani's weight.
        Last edited by farrwf; 07-10-2017, 03:44 PM.
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
          Flagyl is a brand, ... I used to keep it on hand for when / if Otis had diarrhea or bowel issues. I used the 200 mg tabs. I believe the recommended dosage is 10 - 11 mg / #. So the 125 mg x 2 = 250 mg is a "normal" dose for Dasani's weight.
          farrwf, Thank you, I appreciate the response

I'm always nervous introducing something to the mix in the diabetes world...all the "what if he won't eat", etc.....

The blood on the stool is much less, so I'm hopeful the medication is working and he just has some sort of upset, rather than any other issues.
          Again, thank you
          Dasani, Miniature Schnauzer 13 yrs old - Diagnosed Diabetic 3/21/15 - 22 pounds - 9 units Vetsulin 2X a day - Feed a mix of W/D and Solid Gold Wee Bit. Fish oil pearl supplement twice a day to help with high triglycerides.

Comment

Maggie had a super sensitive stomach/pancreas and she took this medicine many times with no problems. It always worked pretty quickly, too.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
              Maggie had a super sensitive stomach/pancreas and she took this medicine many times with no problems. It always worked pretty quickly, too.
              Hi Amy,
              Thanks for the reply. He is doing much better and yes, seems to have worked pretty fast, but we are going to stay the course and finish all of the prescription, at the advice of the Vet.

It seems to have increased his BG, but it's hopefully just from that and not something else lurking

Hope you are doing well

Comment

It's been almost a year to the date since I've updated this thread, and I always appreciated when someone would come back and update.

Today we had to say goodbye to Dasani. I'm devastated and heartbroken but I'm grateful that we had the opportunity to love this little guy.

For the last couple of weeks he had been struggling with using his right front leg. Dasani has suffered a spinal injury when he was 4 and had to wear shoes on all but this front leg. Two days ago he began to do a bunny hop with the leg when trying to go on our walk and appeared to be in a lot of pain, so I decided to take him in today and see what was wrong. The vet took an x-ray of the leg and a chest x-ray and others. His lungs were full of tumors and it appeared there was tumor growth beginning in his leg.

We are so grateful that he has not had any respiratory symptoms or distress and we determined that those symptoms were coming soon and we didn't want to see him suffer in that way. His favorite thing was to go on a walk and visit all the neighbors and other dogs. He was no longer able to do that and was struggling to get around at all. His appetite was off a little as well. My husband and I decided we had to let him go and not suffer and it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

We have gone this path with two other dogs, but because Dasani had a lot of special needs, we really had bonded with him and it's a strange silence in the house tonight.

I say all this because he has lived with Diabetes since March 2015 and it's not what led to this. With the help of all of you wonderful souls here, we made it through the diabetes trials and I'm so thankful for each of you who give your time to others in this way.

I'll miss my little man forever.

Comment

You did such a wonderful job for your boy and you can really tell because you never complained about the disease . Dogs are funny about that they really dont consider themselves ill they think of its the way things are and deal with it that way

It takes courage to make a decision like this and you gave your boy a gift from the pain that he was surly going to see
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

So sorry that you had to let Dasani go. We get very attached to our diabetic dogs and it’s a hard but loving journey. Thank you for treating him so well.
                    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                    Diabetes: Aug 2013
                    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. So heartbreaking, and more so because of the special bond that comes with sugarbabies. It has been 4 months since I lost my Gus, and it wasn't from diabetes, but cancer from a tumor in his hip that spread very rapidly.

Dasani knows how much you loved him. Hugs to you because I know the pain and heartache all too well. I miss my boy so much and still find myself thinking about him and our routine on a daily basis thinking it's time to feed, test, or be home in time. I still feel his presence.
                      Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
                      10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

I am so sorry. It always breaks my heart to hear when we've lost one of our babies. Sending hugs to you.
                        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. Dasani sounds like he was your once in a lifetime dog, the kind that can never be replaced nor forgotten.
                          Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

So sorry for the loss of your little guy. You took great care of him, which I'm sure he knows and appreciates. There are few relationships which closer than a diabetic pooch and his parent / caretaker.

You have my deepest condolences and Godspeed Dasani.
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

So very sorry to hear about Dasani - you did a great job with him. It is so very hard when you have had to take care of them - you just develop a bond and letting them go is never easy. But, it is the most unselfish thing you can do for them. I hope you can take some comfort in the good memories.

Fly free sweet Dasani!
                              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                              X