Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Syringes and Injections

Syringes and Injections Posts from the Diabetes Forum about syringes and giving injections

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Shot-time Dilemmas-Your Experiences & Fixes

With the first week of giving injections I had to be firm with Niki, this needed to be done, it did not seem to hurt back then, I think she was playing me and no doubt sick of the vet visits.

I think since Niki put some weight back on the shots are not a problem anymore, she still gets them in the hip area as she sits, but I think she just has had enough of the scruf area, there are no lumpy areas at the scruff, all in all we've come out of our bump in the road.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Andy was on Vetsulin at first with the big 29g syringes. He did not make a fuss at first. I believe he was too sick to care. Then in a couple weeks when he felt good, that all changed.

It was then I was told about using smaller syringes. I started using the 31g short and I also buy the BD brand. Things improved dramatically after that.

Andy is small so I put a towel up in the bathroom sink and lay out a treat. I put him in the sink, he has his treat and then we give the shot. For the most part he is very good about this.

There have been a few times when he decided he was not going to do the shot. I talked firmly to him and in a calm voice let him know that I was in control and this was going to happen. I have even put his head under my arm to let him know I will hold him down if needed. Once I change the tone of my voice he submits immediately.

The truth is, I still get sick at my stomach sometimes. I try not to let him know it!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forloveofandy View Post
Andy was on Vetsulin at first with the big 29g syringes. He did not make a fuss at first. I believe he was too sick to care. Then in a couple weeks when he felt good, that all changed.

It was then I was told about using smaller syringes. I started using the 31g short and I also buy the BD brand. Things improved dramatically after that.

Andy is small so I put a towel up in the bathroom sink and lay out a treat. I put him in the sink, he has his treat and then we give the shot. For the most part he is very good about this.

There have been a few times when he decided he was not going to do the shot. I talked firmly to him and in a calm voice let him know that I was in control and this was going to happen. I have even put his head under my arm to let him know I will hold him down if needed. Once I change the tone of my voice he submits immediately.

The truth is, I still get sick at my stomach sometimes. I try not to let him know it!

I think this describes Oliver to a "T"!!

We are taking him to the vet tommorrow for another BG curve. I want to figure out exactly which u100 short needle BD syringes to purchase. I will be letting the vet know that I am switching AND I understand that I need to multiply his current dosage of Vetsulin x2.5 to administer the correct dosage.

I'm just confused on ALL of these syringes.

Oliver is currently on 4.5 units of Vetsulin using the UltiCare 29g 1/2" needles. I'm not sure if his insulin will be increased this week or not, I'll find out tomorrow. They've been increasing him by .5 units each week, so I would suspect, unless everything is good, we'll be at 5 units 2x per day.

So, my understanding is...4.5 x 2.5 = 11.25 units on a u100 syringe

Now, which u100 syringe do I buy?

It is my intention that after we get the injection process worked out and Oliver quits being such an uncooperative wiggle butt, my next conquest will be to start home BG testing.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Founding Member

It took me awhile to discover this but when Lady would protest having her shot I found that I was holding my breath! I would use my tough voice and start breathing normally. And then the shot would happen!!! Even after 2 1/2 years this can still happen to us...how does she know I'm holding my breath? It amazes me that she is so tuned in to my state of mind and emotional state at any given time.
Jo-Ann & Lady
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 AM

Smile How I made injections work

TO ALL OF YOU WHO'VE BEEN SO HELPFUL:

I had the greatest news Saturday! Madi's blood glucose level is now 140! Everyday, she becomes more "tolerant" of her injections and it is paying off big time.

A week ago, I discovered that placing her on a blanket in the bathroom sink in front of the mirror seemed to be enjoyable for her. We look at each other in the mirror and have a bit of a conversation. I also learned that an acupressure point of calming on dogs is between their eyes, low on the forehead. She loves it when I rotate my finger there and seems to calm down almost immediately! What was once a horrible experience for both of us, has turned out to be our "special time together". She even enjoys the trips to the vet now, basking in their praise at how much she has improved.

Thanks to everyone who guided me through this and Madigan sends one of her special big kisses to all of you!
Closed Thread