Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

Frustrating is an understatement. I thought I was close finally to the right dose. Was getting some good fasting numbers, but not consistently. Mornings were the worst. I slightly increased his evening dose.

Now I'm getting high mornings again, and it doesn't make sense.
I guess I'm going to have to do an overnite curve.

Why does a dose of insulin work sometimes but then not seem to work? Is another slight increase needed?
Riley, 6 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, also has hypothyroid (being treated starting in April), had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 5.5 morning & 8.5 evening units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
Frustrating is an understatement. I thought I was close finally to the right dose. Was getting some good fasting numbers, but not consistently. Mornings were the worst. I slightly increased his evening dose.

Now I'm getting high mornings again, and it doesn't make sense.
I guess I'm going to have to do an overnite curve.

Why does a dose of insulin work sometimes but then not seem to work? Is another slight increase needed?
Boy do I understand. Yesterday I had to give her some R because she was at 598. I lowered the kibble last night and she was at 368 this morning. Kept the kibble at 1/4 cup along with her stewbie, got back from getting the oil changed and checked her and she's at 145 at 1p. Raysaint, I had her regulated until July, then it's been downhill ever since.

I guess do another curve and see where he's at. I could curve Daisy all week and would wind up scratching my head because she's so inconsistent.

Maybe the 3 unit variance? I know Jessegirl said sometimes to lower their dose and it worked with Daisy until she hit 750+. I used the R and now we're right back to 5 units where she was before the 3 750+ days we had.

And I'm right with you on the insulin. It's almost as though sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? I even bought a different batch thinking I may have got a bad bottle. Nope. I'm sure it's our dogs but after a while it makes you wonder.
Daisy- 8 yo Mini Schnauzer; 21.8 lb; dx 1/20/17; 5 units Novolin N every 12 hours; 1 1/4 cup Ruby's Stewbie and a couple small pieces of chicken every 12 hours; 20mcg chromium picolinate, 1/16 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cranberry/d-mannose, 1 tsp vinegar sprinkled over each meal.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:40 PM

hey . depends on the amount of food that meets up with the insulin according to the feed guide of that manufacturer.

raise the dose of insulin. wait 3 days then do a curve. dont keep raising insulin

raise the amount of food. wait 3 days. feed the recommended food amount according to ur dogs weight. do a curve in a a week.

u cant increase food or insulin overnight expecting immediate results even injecting R insulin.

take it slow. dont add food. it

ups the blood sugar

changing food same as changing insulin.

go slow. dont make frequent changes. make a change. wait 3 to 5 days do a curve. be patients. ur doing good
Old 08-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
hey . depends on the amount of food that meets up with the insulin according to the feed guide of that manufacturer.

raise the dose of insulin. wait 3 days then do a curve. dont keep raising insulin

raise the amount of food. wait 3 days. feed the recommended food amount according to ur dogs weight. do a curve in a a week.

u cant increase food or insulin overnight expecting immediate results even injecting R insulin.

take it slow. dont add food. it

ups the blood sugar

changing food same as changing insulin.

go slow. dont make frequent changes. make a change. wait 3 to 5 days do a curve. be patients. ur doing good
Thank you and will do. I think she was doing better when she was eating worms off the sidewalk!!!
Daisy- 8 yo Mini Schnauzer; 21.8 lb; dx 1/20/17; 5 units Novolin N every 12 hours; 1 1/4 cup Ruby's Stewbie and a couple small pieces of chicken every 12 hours; 20mcg chromium picolinate, 1/16 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cranberry/d-mannose, 1 tsp vinegar sprinkled over each meal.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:13 PM

Daisy's fasting numbers have still been in the 500-600's and her nadir as low as 108. I'm doing everything the vet told me to do, but her numbers were still high with crazy swings.

I lowered her dose this morning by 1 full unit and held my breath. Her fasting at dinner was 317.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Founding Member

yes i remember those crazy swings with jesse . there was nobody that could give me an answer why .

just took time and experimenting with different ideas until things finally settled down
jesse-26 lbs - 12 years old - 7 years diabetic - one meal a day partially raw and homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 08-20-2017, 06:38 PM

Might her liver be putting out sugar near the end of each 12 hour period. Once the body feels it needs energy and all food is gone, the liver releases stored sugar.
And the stored sugar is not like carbs which have staying power in the bloodstream. The stored sugar can be countered more readily. That could explain why the insulin can take her from 5-600 down to 108. The insulin can have an easier job with the stored sugar.
If my theory has any merit, possibly a small carb snack a couple hours after nadir might help keep the liver out of it. A couple of small biscuit type snacks like the Medi Treats, which I give my dog after a walk if his sugar was in the low range of normal.
It's the dawn effect but she's having it every 12 hours.
Riley, 6 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, also has hypothyroid (being treated starting in April), had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 5.5 morning & 8.5 evening units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.