Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

[QUOTE=k9diabetes;2494]Hi,

To help everyone new to diabetes in their dog, please post what you use(d) for your dog:

Dog's name, breed:Maggie mixed/chow/huskie
    Dog's weight:65 lbs
    Diet:rice/chicken/ground turkey
    Insulin:humulin/70/30
    Number of units per injection and injections per day:10 units/twice/da.
    Brand of BG meter if home testing: reli-on Prime

Just started 1 week ago. Maggie is 10 yrs. old and has lost about 10 lbs. before we found out she had diabetes.. vet gave her antibotic to start with because of a temp. of 104.. He thought she might have pancreatic infection
    instead of diabetes. She has responded well to the insulin and antibotic..
    How will I know if it was an infection and not diabetes. Will the insulin cause a problem if she doesn't have diabetes..

Ed
    Last edited by evp471; 05-05-2013, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Zulu, scottish terrier, female.
      Dog's weight: 18lbs (22 b/4 diabetes
      Diet: royal canin, diabetes.
      Insulin: NPH
      Number of units per injection and injections per day: 6, twice a day
      Brand of BG meter if home testing: alphatrak2

hello, i first and foremost would like to thank everyone who has made this site possible!~ wow!~

zulu is 7 years old, she was diagnosed with diabetes on march 22, 2013

currently nothing is regulated. i have done 7 curves with a wide range. some great, others drop later in the day, 2 low points? we feed every 7 am/pm

i think we might change her food? or again increase the insulin? her number do range between 100 and 300. her average is around 230. i would like it lower. too early to say at this point... i guess i will be reporting back?

again, thanks this place has helped me several times over the last couple of months.
      ~zulu~
      scottish terrier. 8 years old. diagnosed 3/22/13. 8.5units twice a day N. and hills diabetic dry food/scoop of RC wet diabetic wet food/sprinkled with blue mtn limited ingredient.

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Callysto, Rottweiler x chocolate lab
        Dog's weight: 105lbs
        Diet: home cooked, purina smart one, diabetes
        Insulin: Humilin n
        Number of units per injection and injections per day: 18 units u100 needle, twice a day
        Brand of BG meter if home testing: vet says "shouldn't worry". I'm not so sure...

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at this forum since Callysto was diagnosed 9 weeks ago, so I finally figured I best become a member and try to contribute back to all the people who have already made this whole thing seem like it is doable and that my babe will be ok.... Even if it's only emotional support for others until I gain more knowledge and experience myself.

Calysto is 4 years old, she was diagnosed with diabetes on march 22, 2013 as well!

3curves where she went from 10 units to 15 units to 18 units of Humilin n and vet said she is close, but maybe another curve in a few weeks. We may have to wait as I explained in other section of this forum, Callysto started getting sick and vet this she had a pancreas attack. She is coming around as of yesterday.

Comment

Hi our little one is only 5 lbs and her regulation has been tough there are days when she can not have insulin because we can not measure below 1/5 unit.

Diagnosed: 2010
          Insulin: lantus. 0.5 units 2x/day
          Food : Raw meat veggies fruit
          Meter: one touch ultra

We have tried 6 meters, one touch ultra beat out all other on a comparison with her actual blood draw at the vet.

We have been on humulin insulin as well, we have tried every diabetic dog food.

We have found with Misha routine is great but tends to make her go too low after a couple days. Misa has hypoglycemic seizures on occasion making her dosing very officials. She is not blind but has punctane cataracts developing, we use eye drops to control those.

Thank you for accepting us into this group.

Comment

Did you know that you can also purchase the Humulin N in a pen form so that you do not have to draw it? I hadn't seen anyone mention it so I thought I would throw it out there. Now the pen is supposedly only good for 2 weeks (per pharmacy) after it is taken out of the frig as opposed to the 30 days for the vial - although my vet says they are good for a longer time.

Comment

The only complaint I've had with insulin pens in general is that you can't dial in smaller increment changes, like 1/4 or 1/2 units. For a dog that can handle whole unit doses I think it's a great idea.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Anakin, husky mix
                Dog's weight: 33 lbs.
                Diet: Royal Canin Diabetic/ Simply Nourish canned chicken and beef stew
                Insulin: Humulin-N
                Number of units per injection and injections per day: 7 /b.i.d.
                Brand of BG meter if home testing: One Touch Ultra2

Comment

12 year old recently diagnosed lab - 75 lbs - using True Result meter
                  Giving vetsulin
                  venison and sweet potato dry food - Natural Balance

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Buddy, Siberian Husky (Almost 12)
                    Dog's weight: Presently 72lbs. Had gone down to 57!
                    Diet: Nutrisca or chicken with broccoli when Mom (me!) feels like cooking!
                    Insulin: Novolin BID with Novolog PRN
                    Number of units per injection and injections per day: Novolin presently @ 22U BID. Was 16 U BID but last week has been difficult. Novolog is given PRN.
                    Brand of BG meter if home testing: Novomax (BID)
                    Last edited by Robbylee; 07-12-2013, 12:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Vinny, lab
                      Dog's weight: 99.6
                      Diet: Iams Glucose and Weight Control Plus adding green beans, broccoli etc.
                      Insulin: Vetsulin
                      Still regulating, but currently at 18 units 2x's a day
                      Brand of BG meter if home testing: AlphaTrak2
                      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Teddy, cockapoo mix
                        39 lbs.
                        Natural Balance Sweet Potato, Fish
                        Novolin N
                        15 units, 2x day
                        BG monitor - ReliOn Prime and Alpha Trak 2

Teddy was diagnosed 6-12-13, still regulating, numbers still in the 300-500 range.
                        Last edited by maladuca; 08-04-2013, 06:26 AM. Reason: update
                        Margaret; Teddy is a 10 year old 40 lb. cockapoo; relion-Novolin-N 2x - 17 units; Natural balance fish and sweet potato; blind from cataracts and glaucoma

Comment

Tyler, West Highland White Terrier
                          20.5lbs
                          Nutrisca Salmon 1/2 cup 8am & 8pm plus 2 frozen green beans after shot (switched to this from Hills ZD- huge difference in his numbers-way more consistent)
                          Novolin N 7.5u
                          Walmart Relion Prime
                          Gayle & Tyler. 9yr old 20.5lb Westie. Dx 3/13. Diet: 1/2 cup Nutrisca Salmon am & pm with 2 frozen green beans given with shot. Insulin: Novolin N 7.5u am & pm-work in progress!

Comment

Willie 23 lb mini schnauzer. 8cc's of Humulin N 2X a day. Feeding him Nutrisca chicken and chick pea.
                            very finicky eater.

Comment

How accurate is the Relion Prime system I noticed a lot of people are using now

Comment

Originally posted by liferebooted View Post
                                How accurate is the Relion Prime system I noticed a lot of people are using now
                                It seems to read dog blood quite low, but you can run a comparison to either an AlphaTrak, or clinic meter. Hard to beat the 18 cent test strip.

Craig
                                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
                                X