Newly Diagnosed - won't eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Diagnosed - won't eat

Hi everyone, my 6 year old dog Abbey was just diagnosed with diabetes and pancreatitis. Two weeks ago this Tuesday we admitted her to the hospital for a few days and she came home the following Saturday. Unfortunately, she still wasn't eating so she came home with a feeding tube in her nose. Then she started sneezing the tube out of her nose. Now the vet is suggesting a tube through her neck.

I've gotten her to eat a little here and there with the help of an appetite stimulant the hospital gave her. She is usually a picky eater. Also, she was never used to eating twice a day, only at night. I've tried everything: dry food, wet food, a mixture, hamburgers, roast, cold cuts, and different types of food and still nothing consistent enough for the insulin. I've also been told varying things about whether I can give her any if she doesn't eat or less if she eats a little (she's currently on 3 units).

Her personality is finally starting to come back and her bloodwork looks good but still not eating. I'm so afraid to do the tube in her neck because I think it'll mentally set her back. This ordeal has made her seem like she feels as if she's in trouble.

Any advice would be welcome! I'm in the midst of trying to study for the NY bar exam and I find myself unable to focus bc my Abbey isn't well. Thank you!!

Re: Newly Diagnosed - won't eat

Welcome. Eating can be a problem. When my Annie was giving me trouble, I would mix a little baby food (Beechnut Classics Chicken and Chicken Broth was her choice) enough to coat her kibble. This was the tiny jar for about 80 cents at Walmart.

Many say you can give 1/4 the normal insulin dose if they don't eat. Then ½ insulin if they eat ½ their normal meal. Of course its best if the eat the proper meal and prescribed dosage of insulin.

How much does Abbey weigh? Which insulin are you giving? Has she been spayed? Any other medical conditions?

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks Craig!

She's been healthy all her life until about 3 weeks ago. She lost some weight so now she's around 14 lbs. right now she's on be Humidin insulin (probably spelled that wrong). She was spayed back in 2011.

Comment

Weight loss is common. The body needs insulin to allow the cells to accept glucose (food). Once the blood glucose gets into a better range, the weight should return.

3 units is normal starting dosage of Humulin-N for a 14 pounder. The vet will likely adjust the insulin dosage. Just a hint, many here use Novolin-N which is very similar to Humulin-N, but Walmart sells Novolin-N for just $25/bottle. Walmart sells it cheaply to get us in the door to buy other things. Syringes are probably the lowest cost there also.

Btw, until the forum owner (Natalie) approves your membership your posts will be slow to show. One of we moderators will have to approve each post until your approval. I sent Natalie an email, so she will likely approve your membership shortly.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Pancreatitis is a long and painful recovery. Lack of appetite is their body telling them they aren't ready. Maggie's first bout with pancreatitis after her diabetes diagnosis literally took over a month of boiled chicken and homemade broth in small meals. Boiled chicken and broth are magical. Kibble always seemed very hard on their pancreas so you might go with a canned food first. Or soak the kibble. Just think about when you have had the worst stomach virus ever and trying to eat. They can relapse if they are rushed into eating.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah she was pretty sick so I know it's going to be a process. It's just been hard because the hospital is being very strict with eating two full meals and insulin. Any time there's a deviation they want us to bring her in and do a procedure. I guess my frustration is that I can't imagine that every dog or cat that they release from the hospital follows the release plan to the letter. There has to be some grey area. I can see she's making progress but when I go up there I feel discouraged again. I think that I am going to switch back to my vet and proceed from there.

Thankfully she ate last night and I was able to give a full insulin dose. Trying to get her to eat this morning. Fingers crossed she will take the food soon.

Comment

many of us have ended up on our own unique program due to extenuating circumstances . Most due find something that works adequately for there pup

the key is consistency through your own program to be able to duplicate it day in day out

my jesse just gets one meal a day some may feed a larger meal in the evening and a smaller in the morning

some may have 4 small meals in a day

testing blood sugar at home is helpful in this approach

we all usually start with the 12/12 routine and see how it goes most end up on that program and do well but not all for many different reasons

the book is not written the same for all
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Murphy also came down with a mild case of pancreatitis because of his diabetes and I am having problems getting him to eat. Feeding him lean chicken, turkey, or fish along with rice and either sweet potatoes or white potatoes. His BG has been difficult to regulate, I test him in the morning before feeding if it's below 150 I won't give him any insulin until I know he will eat enough and then just half dose, then I test a couple hours later to see if it is ok. If he is below 100 don't give any at all and test again in few hours, if it has gone up enough I will give him some insulin. The issue arises when he won't eat at all and I don't know what to do because nothing works and if his BG is real low then I panic, usually he will eat his lean treats or milk bone biscuit to get it up a little. On top of it he has terrible diarrhea from the pancreatitis and nothing has helped with this, he isn't throwing up at all. Have diabetes and pancreatitis has to be the worse thing possible and it has been really frustrating, all I can say is hang in there like I'm trying to do.

Comment

Took Abbey to her usual vet to get some guidance and he really helped to clear things up. Gave me options for if she doesn't eat other than bring her back to the hospital. He said she's still sick from the pancreatitis so if she doesn't eat maybe just leave her alone. I'm going to give her cerenia for the nausea so hopefully that helps too and he gave me some sticks to test her BG at home (waiting for them to be delivered).

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I've really been feeling so helpless with all of this and it's a comfort to know that I'm not alone. Abbey has come a long way since we had her admitted to the hospital two weeks ago so I'm focusing on the positive and understanding that she just needs time to heal.

Comment

After 4 day stay at DVM's for new D.M. diagnosis and treatment and then taking her back 2 days later (saturday) and yesterday for DVM to watch BG, I cannot get her to eat again this am. She ate good last eve at 7 pm..She barely would eat 4-5 small pieces of chicken breast so gave the 4u NPH @7:40 am.. BG was 372, 415 pre-insulin. I have offered her 5 meals.. DVM's simply repeat what to feed her...What if she is not hungry OR she is sick OR high blood glucose or nausea. Suzie has been to DVM 3X in less than a week. Blood values are reported as improving. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO???
                    Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
                    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Hi Abbeys Mom!

You came to the right place for advice. The people here are amazing and there's so much helpful information!

My own dog Kodi was diagnosed this summer and the vet wanted to give up on her because she wouldn't eat either but thanks to this forum I persevered and now she's doing so much better! Because she wouldn't eat I left her in the vets for a few days hoping they could help but I think it made it worse. The day after she came home she started eating small pieces of chicken and turkey for me mixed with some parmesan cheese just for the smell.

I think that all the poking and prodding and trauma of the vets made it worse. After a few days at home and eating little bits and pieces her appetite started to pick up again. Now she is eating two good size meals a day and she was previously a very picky eater. So don't lose hope she can definitely pull through and get better! Maybe a break from visiting vets for a few days is what she needs, just to be at home getting lots of cuddles! I hope she starts to improve for you!

Comment

When Maggie's pancreatitis would flare up, my vet always said the diabetes "rules" had to go out the window. You just can't make them eat if they aren't feeling like it. Can't blame them, I wouldn't either.

I fed Maggie four times a day. She did not eat full meals - she had two heavier meals 12 hours apart and two heavy "snacks". I found that she did so much better when her digestive system stayed busy but not overwhelmed with two large meals. This was our experience.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                        X