Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Newbie needing help

You are absolutely correct - He is sugar dumping two hours after injection! Two hours after injection this morning, he was 59. I gave him a cookie and took it an hour later and it was 134 and remained around there most of the day until before dinner where he was 291.
Cookies are our friend right now!
Donna and Max the corgi (can I get my collie now???)
Old 10-13-2021, 12:14 PM

you might want to add more food at breakfast and supper

or

start dropping the insulin back tonight one unit

test if you still get that low drop back one more unit.

keep giving cookie until the low stops

dont change food and insulin. just one at a time starting tonight okay?
Old 10-13-2021, 12:41 PM
Founding Member

Its all about experimenting applying an application to a problem . As Mo said one thing at a time which you used the cookie

Like I said you have to catch it before the dump and appears you did

Now this may or may not be a long term solution but continuing just to see if its repeatable would be a good thing to figure out

My theory the action of insulin maybe a bit to strong for dogs . It maybe because of there metabolism or digestion or both . Rebounding is very common
The reason for it is to protect life so it is doing what its suppose to do . It may just do to good a job . This is why it is rare to see a dog have a low blood sugar event unless the dog is heavily overdosed or a medical condition affecting sugar production .

Great work . Its still possible you may have to back the dose down a bit if you cant get that low number up a bit
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 10-13-2021, 02:10 PM

Had a scary day today… For whatever reason, my wifi wasn’t working this morning, so I had to go into the office and no one was here to monitor him… Hubby got out of work about 1:00 and took it then and it was 48. He gave him a cookie and took the dogs for a walk then re-took it and it was 246. I just got home from work and took it and it just said LO. I gave cookies. Hubby retested it 15 minutes later and its 426? How can that happen???? All the while, he’s acting fine??? I’m not trusting this meter at all…
Old 10-13-2021, 05:27 PM

its not the meter its the cookie raising his blood sugar because he,s dropping too low from the 60, now going lower. 48 is dangerously low. keep giving him the cookie when he goes low.

reduce Max,s insulin dose asap

if he starts to get wobbly or pass out rub some karo on his gums

if he still goes low take him to an emergency vet clinic

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 10-13-2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: drop insulin back
Old 10-13-2021, 05:31 PM

drop back one unit of insulin

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 10-13-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:50 AM
Founding Member

Actually the low reading was probably an error more than likely . I seen this on occasion when I did not get enough blood on the strip and had to retest . You would think you would get an error code but that may not occure

In that situation you would like to make another test . I have done many back to back tests with numbers that I was not sure was correct and especially at the low end.

Another factor you dont want to exercise a dog at low levels as it can drop them further as it can speed the action of injected insulin

You do need to get to a dose where you can leave your dog and be confident that he wont go low . 48 is to low and you probably need to reduce the dose

The higher number was probly a dump of sugar off the 48 and maybe exacerbated by the walk

Remember you want to get away from reactionary and move to stability even though sugar level maybe a bit higher . Once you get the lowest level up above a 100 you can hold the dose
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Old 10-14-2021, 04:01 PM

Yeah, I do think it was a misread and I did lower his units back to 6.5...
Here are his numbers today:
Thursday
5:30
Unknown
Breakfast and Insulin
7:00
Resting
9:30
Resting
12:30
Resting
3:30
After Walk
5:30
Unknown
Dinner and Insulin
7:00
Resting

Donna and Max
Old 10-15-2021, 03:17 PM

I think reducing the dose was a mistake... After breakfast we got to 135, but subsequent readings were all high, including 539 just before dinner...

Donna and Max
Old 10-15-2021, 05:08 PM
Founding Member

Its possible even the 6.5 could be to high and all you have is less insulin working to remove excess sugar

You do have a problem with large swings in blood sugar

My jesse went from 70 to 500 in just 4 hours

Now you must remember if the dose is to much its going to take time for the body to recognize this foreign substance is not dangerous to the body

You already sort of proved you do have rebounding with the cookie application

The key is reducing those large swings and nothing has changed that thought to get to more stable blood sugar which is either reducing the dose and or a food application that slows down the dump of sugar . Remember you dont have to see a lower number for a dump it can also occur with a big drop so interrupting that drop can be helpful

Most results do not happen immediately . It takes experimentation with one thing at a time if you have success you continue if not you move onto the next thing

The forum is not able to fix anything all we can do is point you in a possible direction but the work has to be done by you