Sweet Dutch has passed December 6, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diabetic Rottweiler/Meter & Curves

Whenever Annie would get any new medication, even eye drops, I would specifically ask if they could affect her BG. Then, when I got home, I would Google "(name of medication) diabetes" and see what was printed.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
      How have Dutches numbers been recently? Is he still getting those scary drops or are you snacking him at key times to avoid those?
      I haven't done his curve in a while. The vet gave a prescription for antibiotics and then wants to see him again in a couple weeks. So I'll wait till the day before he goes back to the vet and measure his curve and see what it looks like, then see what the vet says about the bladder infection/insulin/food.

Other then that he hasn't had a problem with lows. I can almost guess where his blood sugar is at based on his behavior making sure its not so high it effects him but not to low ether, & when i can't tell i just test him once. I just tested him once at about 12:30 pm today and his blood sugar was at 258, this was about 2 hours after his snack. Ive been giving him a snack around 10:00 am and pm. just a small .5-1 cup of food. The snacks are keeping him from dropping to low I think. He has been drinking alot of water the past couple days even when his sugar isnt that high Ive been taking him out alot. Do you think this is from the bladder infection?
      Last edited by Timothy; 04-25-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I would think that he might feel the urge to go more often with an infection. Can you see if he is producing a lot of urine or just a little coming out. Just a little urine would indicate an increased urge to go. More volume would indicate it being tied more to the diabetes.

I would be more inclined to think the increased thirst would be to high bgs. Possibly just highs or highs from the infection and antibiotics.

Could you take a bg reading before the snack and then 1/2 hr to an hr. after the snack to get a feel if you are giving just the right amount.

It would be great if you could do a set amount for the snack so you could then better see his trends.

Is he still exercising? Have you been able to see any consistent trends in regards to that?

Tara
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
          Other then that he hasn't had a problem with lows.
          He has been drinking alot of water the past couple days even when his sugar isnt that high Ive been taking him out alot.

Hello Again Timothy,

Just read the above again. Let me preface this with that i am still fairly new to the world of diabetes and not sure where you are with the learning curve, but....
          In thinking he isn't falling too low sometimes, it can be really hard to know without doing a test to see where they are. I remember I got a 29!!! one day when Ruby seemed her perkiest.

If you are spot checking you want to try to keep the timing consistent in regards to his eating/snacking.

The reaction that happens to a dog going too low can happen pretty quickly and therefore may look like an okay reading to you but he may have just shoot up from a low.

Based on his other curves, can you tell when his nadir is (when the insulin is the strongest therefore the bgs are at their lowest). That is a good time to do a spot check, between 6-8 hrs. is a good time to shoot for if you don't know his nadir. All dog's will have different nadir times, Ruby's is typically 10-12 hrs. out.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

Dutch's blood sugar was at 333 before I went to bed last night at midnight but this morning at 6:30 it was at 86! He has to get his insulin shot at 7. It took him a couple minutes to get him to eat.

Comment

I don't have a large dog so I am going from memory here.

If he ate his whole breakfast..... it is recommended with a low to reduce by 1 unit. If he didn't eat his whole meal the reduction would be greater.
              Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

He ate his whole meal but it took him a couple minutes to start eating it he kept walking away from it like he was confused. The past couple days his sugar in the morning has been up in the upper 400's mg/dl and then going down to around 70 mg/dl. I wanted to get an accurate curve before he goes back to the vet now that he is done his antibotic. He gets 30 units every 12 hours.

Comment

I am concerned by you saying he is acting confused and with those swings.....
                  I know I said before that I think he needed a reduction in insulin and was concerned that you were seeing some worrying hypo symptoms.

I hope others come on soon. I know the Rotties can be hard to regulate and I tend to see rebound around every corner, but the confusion you saw in him really worries me.

Will you be with him today?
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

I have to run my son over to school.

You could always give him some extra crackers. Might make him high tonight, but might keep him safer if you are going to be gone.
                    Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Yea I'll be here with him all day. Well when His sugar gets down to around 140 mg/dl he starts to get hungry. The other night it had dropped to around 70md/dl at midnight and he had to go outside. I walked him outside to do his business and he was kind of just walking everywhere and walking in circles. I gave him a pretty good snack and the next morning it was 449 mg/dl.

Comment

With the confusion and the constant lows you're getting, I would definitely lower his dose by a couple of units. With him going so low and spiking back into the 400's I'm sure you're getting som rebound here. How much does Dutch weigh?

Sandy

Comment

115lbs I think.

Comment

I am so relieved you will be home with him.

Keep in mind that I jump to rebound when others think it is just a high, and I don't know your dog's trends. All that said I am really concerned that he may be on too much insulin.

There is a range that dogs are started on and some vets start out on the higher end of the range. With my dog in the beginning it was too much and she bounced all over the place. It wasn't until I backed down on her dose and then gradually went back up that I was able to start working on stabilization.
                            Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Well he ate at 6:30 AM and got his Insulin shot at 7:00 AM. I tested him at 8:00 AM and his sugar is at 58 mg/dl.

Comment

I would give him some corn syrup to stop the drop and a carby treat like a milk bone
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X