home cooked meals, snacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home cooked meals, snacks

I have been feeding Maggie eggs,ground turkey, and veggies every meal. Low carb seems to work the best for her. She also gets pumpkin every day and lots of organic chicken
    Broth in her water. She quit drinking just water when diagnosed. When I add 1 T. Broth
    No problem. Veggies we use are carrots, green beans, some broccoli. I quit the brown
    Rice when the numbers started jumping up.
    I have seen diabetic dog treats online. Has anyone had success with them?
    Does anyone make their own treats? I was thinking of making something out of the livers
    From my organic chickens I buy for her broth that I make.

Liver caused my Maggie to spike and was too fatty for her. I used some freeze dried meats or boiled chicken. There are some treats (biscuit type) - I used a brand called Dogchewz - very limited ingredients tiny bones that made very little difference in her sugar. If you test at home, you can try different things and see. I wouldn't limit to things designated as "diabetic" - as that is typically just low a lower fat, low calorie version. Or sometimes it is the same.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Re: home cooked meals, snacks

We make chicken jerky: slice a boneless breast as thin as you can, bake on parchment paper at 250F until done turning every 20-30 minutes until done (dried out) Let cool and slice into strips. Our rescue came to us missing 1/3 of his teeth, but is still able to eat this. Our diabetic guy loved it
      Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Working...
      X