Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:28 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Insulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post
So I took his blood sugar at 5:30 and it was around 200. After insulin, food and a short walk at 7:15 pm (1 hour 15 minutes later) its 678!

Should I maybe lower his insulin dose at night? How can it jump over 400 every night?
Yeah i dont think food can explain a jump like that . It possible the body is struggling with that does for some reason . It could be a cortisol issue . Jesse had i higher fasting for the last couple months and went visit my mom in reno and she is perfect . Its usually the opposite so go figure . If anyone could tell me for sure what is occurring they would be a genius . I have been doing this for over 9 years and its still just an educated guess but i can tell you they can do just fine and live long lives with way less than being perfect
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-26-2019, 05:36 PM

The silly thing is his cortisol is normal. Must be the other hormones playing games. I am glad to hear you have been doing this for 9 years and Jesse is still here and doing good. It is just so frustrating. We are on such a routine and different results almost every day.

I see all the posts with worries about BG going up to the 300's and boy I wish I was there. That's my goal is the high of 300
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:30 PM

433 at 9:30pm
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post
The silly thing is his cortisol is normal. Must be the other hormones playing games. I am glad to hear you have been doing this for 9 years and Jesse is still here and doing good. It is just so frustrating. We are on such a routine and different results almost every day.

I see all the posts with worries about BG going up to the 300's and boy I wish I was there. That's my goal is the high of 300
you will get there some take longer than others but as long as you are seeing some good numbers that will get you through
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-27-2019, 05:31 AM

Going from 678 to the 400ís is good. The big spike after eating could just be his metabolism. Have you ever had his thyroid checked. To ensure there isnít a metabolism issue affecting how food and insulin gets used.
I know he has other issues, but itís good to know whatís normal and what isnít.

What is the dogís weight? Is 13 units too much.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 PM

I have had his thyroid checked but it is a while ago. I will request checking it again.

Yukon weighs 30 pounds. I am wondering if it is too much as well.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 PM

30lbs and hes getting 13 units....somethings not right here
He started at 4
The recommended is .2 x 30 is 6
Has there been any changes in food???
Does he have an infection?
Old 04-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
30lbs and hes getting 13 units....somethings not right here
He started at 4
The recommended is .2 x 30 is 6
Has there been any changes in food???
Does he have an infection?
Letís not get hung up on a ďstartingĒ dosage that frequently is 0.2 units per pound. Itís only a STARTING dosage. Many pups will require MUCH more that the 0.2 units per pound. Test, evaluate and adjust if needed!

Craig
Old 04-28-2019, 01:30 AM

There have been no changes in food and he does not have an infection.
The only thing I can think of is his atypical cushings is interfering with the regulation. I am wondering if I should back it down to 12 and see what happens.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM

if his biggest spike is just after meals, that can be normal for some; dogs and people. Then if sugar comes down, as it should, thatís also normal.

From his latest curve, where does sugar get high again? Or, what kind of wonky does it get?

A curve should show if itís dropping enough to cause a rebound. If thereís no rebound, then Iíd not expect dose is too high. An insulin change might be considered.
If you canít get any improvement over the last while, you have to try something.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.