Abby's Story - 12.24.1999 to 12.31.2013 - Forever in our hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Abby Diagnosed about 4 weeks ago

what? you didn't want to analyze her poo?

what a relief and a long week for you and Abby. I hope you can take it easy today.

whew. Judi
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Fantastic news Barb! I hope this makes her feel somewhat better.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Great news!

Comment

So pleased for you. Hope she soon perks up again.
          Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
            Thanks everyone for all of your prayers, well wishes and concerns.

Last night, Abby finally passed whatever she had around 10:30, and we had a "POOP" Party. She even took a few laps of water on her own last night.
            This morning she ate, and had a better bowel movement. So, I think whatever it was, went through the intestines. I did not see anything like bones, not that I looked that closely.

Whew... what a tough week.
            Congrats! I know what it's like to know there is something "bad wrong" and not to be able to do much about it.

I know how much relief that 10:30 event was to you , .... oh, and to Abby also!
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

there is nothing more beautiful than poop well maybe just this occasion

congrats to abby on a job well done

you might want to make a note on how much insulin worked with limited or no food good to know
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What was strange with her insulin intake, was that I did drop it down to 4.0 units, instead of her 4.5, and we were a little high. It may have been because of the IV that she was on, as well as forcing some of the baby food on her (it was only turkey or chicken in broth). It may have been enough (I fed about three times a day) to keep her levels in the 100s and 200s. I didn't want to get to low... as this would have just complicated things further.

Today, I increased her back to 4.5 after she ate, and she has had some really steady numbers in the 100's, with a start of 207.

I think I am going to put her back on regular food - such as Wellness Core low fat, and add some raw to it. I keep thinking that I did something to give her this episode, and I don't want a repeat performance. Not sure if I can survive another week like this one.

I agree is is a horrible feeling to feel helpless. I think we all feel like we can control things, as we can with diabetes, but when something else comes along, we want to control it as well.

Yesterday afternoon, every hour, I gave her 1/3 of cup of water in a syringe... pointed at the cheek area (no coughing episodes). I did not get the prilosec as they suggested but a Baby Gas relief formula (thought this may be a little more gentle on the stomach), and it seemed she was a little more interested in food, or at least went over to smell it. I put some dry food that I had and soaked it in water. In addition, I gave her some milk, very little. I also kept offering for her to drink on her own and she would not, but later in the evening she did.

Last night after our successful walk, I did not feed her, but she was hungry today, and very interested. I provided some of her food, as I didn't want to overfeed her. I have been giving her a few more 'boiled chicken' treats, bbecause this doesn't have any affect on her BG's.

She is still sleeping alot, but defintely more 'perky' than she has been all week.
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

oh yes I would go slow with food you did all the wright things I am impressed fingers crossed for better days nice to see the numbers stable after all that
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It is kind of amazing that Abby's blood sugar is hanging tough through all of this. good job!

The raw diet seemed to work so well for her overall health but I can certainly understand your being gun shy now Barb. Good luck and I hope Abby's levels remain steady.

what a week

xoxo, Judi & Jenny
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Abby seems to be on the road of recovery, and seems to be acting normal, but a little sluggish. It has been really hot here, so that could be part of the problem, but we take an early morning walk. She bounces behind me, but not ahead of me.

I have decided to introduce some kibble Wellness Core Low Fat - about 1/4 cup, with 2/3 cup of lightly steamed raw mix of Chicken/Beef Heart (I found our Walmart sells some very strange meat parts) and a variety of veg.... Greenbeans, Cabbage, Broccolli, Sweet Potatoes (I don't find a spike in sugar with SweetPotatoes). What I have been finding is that the dip in her BG after she eats that had been happening, has not happened (probably due to the kibble), and she has some steady numbers throughout the day in the mid 100's. I think I may be happy with this, but I'm still in the testing phase with the food.

Otherwise she seems to be doing well. The IMS called last night to check on Abby, and wanted to know what she passed... I told him Poop! Told him I saved it, if he wanted to analyze it. Seriously, he did seemed concerned for her, especially for her UTI, and possible Cushings.

One thing at a time...one thing at a time...

My neighbor shared a story that her friend took her dog in for a suspicious lookng growth on the toe. Vet stated that she would not get a good biopsy as to the location of the growth on the toe, and suggested taking the toe off (not wait for the biopsy). They did the surgery, and the biopsy came back negative. There was no reason for the surgery.

I need to learn more patience, and take things more slowly

Comment

Originally posted by Poodles View Post
                        It is kind of amazing that Abby's blood sugar is hanging tough through all of this. good job!

The raw diet seemed to work so well for her overall health but I can certainly understand your being gun shy now Barb. Good luck and I hope Abby's levels remain steady.

what a week

xoxo, Judi & Jenny
                        Thanks Judi and Jenny..... your warm wishes, good thoughts, and prayers, pulled us through. I don't want to go through another week like this one.

Comment

Well, I suppose the Clavamox is kicking in. BG levels are rising... but then again, my bottle of insulin is dated 6/21, so it may be losing its strength. Fasting number this am was 387... She stayed in the 200's yesterday.

I think I will up the dose .25 and see where that goes. Life is just a roller coaster

Comment

I'm assuming you'll do a curve before changing the dose, right? - readings at fasting in the morning, then every two hours at least through fasting in the evening?
                            Sun, 24 Jul 2011 06:16:45 (PDT)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Hi Carol,

No, I'm hanging tight on the dosage, after some thought. So, I have not made any changes to her dose, but I did give some pumpkin this afternoon, along with her steamed spinach, partially raw beef, lentils, steamed sweet potatoes. If I make any immediate changes, it is with her food. Also, I have found that one day readings are not always the norm... especially with our crazy week we had last week.

I am learning alot of patience, and a wait and see approach.

So, when you think you know what is going on... you don't. I left her dosage the same. This morning it was 397, reading at 1:30pm was 137, reading before dinner was 208. I gave the same dosage 4.5 and check 2 hrs later 8:00 pm and she is at 67!! Where did that number come from.

I gave a few drops of honey, and 3/4 of a dog treat!!
                              Last edited by Abby's Mom; 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

My Kumbi hit 68 unexpectedly one day - 8 June, 2007! I immediately cut his dose, and phoned my vet. Reason: my vet had told me we wanted to avoid hypo at all costs.

No vets were in when I phoned, so I left a message, and the next morning, raised the dose again, but not as far as it had been before. My vet phoned a bit later, and said I'd done just right.

Abby's numbers look to me as though you might be risking unexpected hypo, just because there's no wiggle-room there. The principles I learned from my vet, and here, too, were to work with the lows, and not to worry too much about the highs, till the LOWS are stable, and high enough to be in a safe area, with some wiggle-room. My understanding is that 100 is as low as you want to see.

I could be misunderstanding, and always, all dogs are different, so my experience might not match yours.

All the same, I feel very concerned. Once you get hypo, it takes days to re-adjust, and it's quite hard on the dog's body.

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:44:29 (PDT)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X