Daisy's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Daisy's Story

The dog feeder doesn't "calculate" the food, I do. If her nadir is dropping to 70 3 hours after eating on 3 units and I'm at work, I'm going to drop her insulin to 2.5 and somehow give her something to eat.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

amazing what these dog feeders can do . hope the snack helps
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Somebody on here a few years back used an automatic feeder for a targeted snack and it worked really well. I was always very lucky to have Maggie with me at work every day.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

just wondering how ur Daisy girls doing

thinking adding water dilutes the strength of the stewby causing the insulin to raise her blood sugar

did u get her weight. a weight loss would warrant a decrease!

its been 5 days on 2.5 units. how's her fasting numbers an 1 1\2 hours after feeding and insulin dear☺

there's other medical issues that cause a reduction in insulin. if this is the reason. feeding 4 times a day is good but she needs a blood work done. but not to worry
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

How is Daisy doing? Is she still eating the stewby or have you figured out something else?
            Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
            Diabetes: Aug 2013
            Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
            Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Happy New Year!!!

Daisy is doing really well. I took her off the Stewbie and changed her over to a simple chicken, chana dal and green bean recipe (along with her kibble) and measure each ingredient in grams so I can get an exact amount each meal. I couldn't do that with the Stewbie, I never really knew how much of what she was getting. I also added a dollop of pumpkin for good measure. The food transition went well because the chicken, green beans and chana dal were all in the Stewbie.

She went from spiky highs and lows to a flat curve that lasts until her next meal. Her insulin did go up a little by about 3/4 unit. YAY!!!
              Last edited by Daisydog10; 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM.
              Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

That’s really good news

Good job figuring that out. It sounds nice and simple. Just a few ingredients that you can easily measure and keep consistent.
                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Good job figuring that out. It sounds nice and simple. Just a few ingredients that you can easily measure and keep consistent.
                  I was really doing some calculations on this!!!

Thanks Mike!!

Comment

Great! Love good reports. Nice job.
                    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

yay for daisy

hope things continue to be uneventful thats what i like with jesse
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Good job! It just takes time and persistence until one finds what works the best for their pup!
                        Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
                        10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

I'm just so thankful......

Comment

Working...
                          X