Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Default My dog is scared of injections... Help!

My problem is not giving the injection, my problem is my Diesel is scared of the injection. She knows what it is, I've tried the "its ok with a treat" she wines, jumps back. I can't administer the shot without someone holding her. I've tried to do it my self but i can't. She is to squirmy. She was just diagnosed last Saturday. Im at wits ends. Crying about it b/c i can't do it without her freaking out. I've watched so many videos, read discussions, I've even had the "its got to be done" philosophy but she jumps around.

Was anyone else's fur baby this bad? Did they get used to it?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Re: My dog is scared of injections... Help!

Hi and welcome to you and your pup,

I understand exactly what you're going through. My little boy was the poster child for squirming, wriggling, and trembling. Distraction is key. I've melted cheese on a plate, used rescue remedy in his water, dap spray, put him on a leash and stood on the leash, you name it. I still have a dap collar on him, and a small stockpile of them for the next few months

I now use a device called 'inject ease' and it has been amazing for us. He started squirming again last week, but I managed to get him done in less than 5 minutes, compared to the early days of a half hour or more of resistance, followed by a teary phone call to my parents or sister asking for a hugger for Franklin. I now use diced bacon as his after insulin treat. He wants that more than he doesn't want the needle Bribery will get you most places I'm lucky that Franklin is little and can sit on my lap for me to give him his shot.

Relax, take a breath. It DOES get easier. There have been many of us where you are now. Your pup and you will work through this, and soon it will be second nature. My guy now finishes his food and comes to me wanting his bacon. I think he's hoping my feeble mind will give him bacon and forget the needle, though
Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM

I was where you are 6 weeks ago!

Welcome. This is such a great forum with really caring people. I've learned so much in the past few weeks.

What needle size are you using? Inject Ease like Franklin'sMum uses are great for many. I finally settled on the shortest, thinnest BD needle available.

Sophia actually became more scared when someone else held her. For the first 3 or so weeks I'd take her into a room by ourselves, sit on the floor and put her in my lap. I'd talk to her and tell her we had to do this all very calmly. Didn't always work! But it helped.

Throughout the day and when you can, pull Diesel's skin up and poke it with a pen cap or something like that. Get Diesel used to the feeling of pulling skin up and "poking" it. Over 3-4 weeks I'd do this fake test shot at least 6 times a day.

Finally in the past few weeks she curls up in a ball and has found her safe place. Diesel needs to get to that time where she finds her safe place. Treats after always help. I made tiny frozen meat balls for Sophia and that really, really helped.

It does get better. I swear it does. When I made my first post here, I had tears running down my face.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Welcome.
You've probably read these two hints elsewhere, but I'll write them again.

Many here use the very thin 30, or 31, gauge syringe. What size syringe are you using? For some reason it seems some vets sell the thicker 29 gauge syringe.

Cold insulin can sting when injected. Most will prepare the syringe, and then warm it to about body temperature by re-capping and hold the syringe in a closed fist, crossways in the mouth, or even armpit

As Sophia's mom mentioned, practice with a pen for it to be "no big thing".

Remember they can smell fear!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM

What kind of dog is Diesel?

Who is most sacred of the shot: you or your dog? They can really sense your own nerves. So, yes, having that matter of fact, no big deal attitude helps.

Bacon might be key, too. I know I would let you stick me with needles for bacon.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Founding Member

lol at Cebe and bacon

where are you injecting? Jenny went through a spell where she hated and her shot and bit both me and my husband. This from a dog who is usually an angel.

I had been trying different areas of her body but am now only injecting on her scruff area. It is the one area that bothers her the least. I move around as much as I can there.

Jenny had to wear a muzzle for a week or so but hasn't now for a long time. She comes to me after she eats because she know it is shot time but she still tenses her little body because she just doesn't like it.

I also noticed that making sure I am doing the 45 degree angle seems to help.

We have had dogs on the forum who were even worse than yours, honest! Once they figure out there is no getting around it (and that there is a treat involved), they usually accept it a little easier.

Hang in there, you can outlast him! hugs, Judi
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM

I had the same problem with Otis early on and didn't know what to do.

I found that Otis had to be focused on something other than me for us to have a smooth, trouble free injection episode. Here's what works for us:
  • After O has his meal, I prepare a "sampler plate" of some of his treats.
  • I kneel beside him and place the plate in front of him, and have the loaded syringe in my other hand.
  • Once he begins to gobble the treats, I stroke him and gently pinch his coat to get him used to having my hands on him as he's eating.
  • Then I pick my time and gently pinch some skin (he's used to me doing this by now), and inject quickly.
  • He may glance at me briefly, but goes back to his treats quickly.
This drill has worked for us for almost 2 years now, and he's pretty used to it. The trick is ... he's not focused on me during this process, he's focused on his treats.

Even today, if for some reason he's not interested in eating his treats, ... the situation can deteriorate rapidly into a wrestling match. If he's focused on me and knows what's coming ... he will fight to the end.

I always win, only because I'm much bigger ... but, will have an angry Pug glaring at me when we're done.

You'll find what works for you ... everyone eventually does.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 11-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Your dog may be different but we have found that the scruff of the neck is a painless injection site for our mini-schnauzer. I think that is one of the keys. At first we were changing our shot locations since we read the scruff of the neck was an inefficient location for utilizing the insulin. However, all the other areas seemed to hurt -- especially above the ribs -- and that began a pattern inwhich our dog would move away from us and constantly began suspecting some type of pain when we would get near him during shot time.

Once we went back to the scruff of the neck, that settled our dog back down. I figure, if that locale is inefficient in regards to insulin, then that should show up in the insulin curves and we will adjust accordingly.

I found it best if no one held our dog during the injection time -- and the less made of the situation the better. Just do it.
Buddy is a 7 year old miniature Schnauzer who originally weighed 30 pounds and now weighs 21 pounds. He eats 1/4 cup Honest Kitchen Zeal, 3/4 cup baked Alaskan Salmon, 1/4 cup Royal Canin Diabetic, 1/2 cup green bean or broccoli, plus 1 inch banana twice daily and is given 5 units Novolin N twice daily after his meals when he eats at 7 am and 7 pm.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Welcome to you and Diesel. I know what's its like in the beginning we all do so don't despair it will improve even though it's hard to believe it at the moment.

I see that lots of members have already given you great advice and I agree with them the treats are the way to go. It worked for me with cj and you might think you are not nervous but you most probally are and they are so clever they can sense it. So they act up even more! I just put CJ's treat on the sofa in front of him - he runs from the kitchen to the tv room where I give him shot and jumps up on the sofa - and while he eats it I inject him. Sometimes he wriggles a little but usually he does not even know I have done it.

Just find the treat that will distract him and it will be easy peasy!!
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM

thank you for the advice and the warm welcome. I was starting to get discouraged and break down, its only been a week and a half since being diagnosed. My min pin is spoiled rotten too. i decided to bake her home made dog cookies just for shot time only. I also was reading in the forum the other awesome advice about warming the insulin, and instead of making a tent to give the shot i just pull up on the fatty part and "just do it" that has seemed to work best. Much faster, and i ordered an auto inject for those just in case. She did great on her morning shot. No whining, yipping, scream, freaking out.. and she was good this evening too. My fiance still had to hold her, but it worked out like a champ.

I've been using the short needle 31g, and i do get nervous but no shaky, i think its because I'm just thinking to myself "please don't yipe!" i wish i could have had a video rolling. We tried to distract her last night with some wet dog food and the minute i started to pet her and pull up on her skin she ran off the couch so fast before you could say "bobs your uncle" this happened about 3x's and thats when Chad had to hold her, and i had to "just do it" I've been rotating between her sides', scruff of the neck .. SO far today between her back and side i got just a little bit of skin flinching like something was tickling her, but no squirming.. and it worked out perfectly.

Right now I'm only urine testing, the next step i will be trying to check her blood. Is checking the blood glucose the same as urine testing? to test before you give the insulin shot?

I'm a super newbie. My Diesel was just diagnosed with diabetes after taking her into the vet for vomiting, was told she had pankcreatitis .. which then after lab work and a few more test found out she has diabetes.. vet said it was detected early.

Last edited by thirdseasons; 11-27-2012 at 08:21 PM.