Vader-PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vader-PLEASE HELP !!!!!

I am REALLY struggling with my Vader baby. He is currently having a pretty bad bout of pancreatitis and will not even eat his normal food-which is FreshPet, fresh, refrigerated food. He is barely active. He is drinking only twice a day or so-but drinking a lot when he does.

His numbers have bee all over the place and I just want him to feel better fast! The only thing I can get him to eat is cut up lean read meat. Which I will do forever, if needed!

Vader is 11yo male. He has survived cancer, cataract surgery and has been diabetic since January 2017. This is is 3rd bout of pancreatitis. He has now developed Horner's syndrome in one eye. He gets 18 units of Novalin N twice daily.

Two days ago, he had a seizure while swimming-also a first. Afterward, his glucose was at 188. His doc does not seem to think it is sugar related.

His back end is very wobbly and weak. He has lost a lot of muscle tone in his hind legs. He can still walk and climb stairs though-and will swim if I let him-which now, I won't.

I just ordered a new meter because I do not trust mine, it is too random! I am trying to find recipes to feed him to get him through this and feeling better!

As you can all see-I am frantic and all over the place. He's got me scared to death-he is my heart and I can't stand seeing him this way!

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Re: Vader-PLEASE HELP !!!!!

remember, with pancreatitis, fat is the enemy. Chicken breast has less fat than red meat, and check the fat content of his food on the label. Keep meat intake low and try some low fat fibrous foods like pumpkin or sweet potato or rice or pinto beans, etc.
    If he's prone to pancreatitis, you may have to look for a lower fat food. Sometimes the fresh healthy food is higher in fat than other commercial foods.

Pancreatitis will make them lose their appetite, but it's good to let the pancreas rest and introduce food slowly.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Pancreatitis is a serious condition My jesse went about 10 days without eating and just on IV fluids

Was your dog hospitalized ? How serious was this bout of pancreatitis ? Did your dog receive IV fluids . How long ago did you begin treatment for pancreatitis ?

Healing from pancreatitis can be a long process to where there appetite becomes normal so bring solid food back into the equation is a slow process . You want something easily to digest and low in fat . If your dog is still in pain than he wont want to eat . May need pain medication or to be put on IV fluids

I switched my jesse to one meal a day and a small snack in the hopes to not see any more flare ups with the pancreas and we haven't for 8 years . I cant be sure that was the reason but i believe it helped . Of course its the opposite approach form the medical professionals who believe smaller and more meals are better
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

My Maggie suffered through pancreatitis many times. If you haven’t gotten some meds from your vet, you might want to get something for pain. He is not eating because the digestive process is probably painful. With Maggie, I gave her Pedialyte(not the sugar free kind) when she wasn’t eating. It had sugar but it also had nutrients. With pancreatitis, it is important to worry about healing the inflammation. I never wanted her to eat until she was ready.

I would go with boiled chicken using the broth from boiling it. You can chop or grind it up so it is mushy. Some try to add in some white rice. Maggie did not like rice so we didn’t add it. Also, I got away from the two meals a day and went with four small meals a day. Maggie was a small dog and her stomach acid would go sour if she went 12 hours between meals so I always kept a little something in her system. Otherwise, she would throw up that foamy stuff. Many vets also go with more frequent meals to help with digestion.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you for all of the replies! Yes, he was given IV fluids while at the vet the other day, but not since. He literally just walked up behind me this minute and started drinking! He was also given a shot for pain, and a shot for nausea while there-but both were likely short acting. He cannot take anti-inflammatory drugs. He does not respond well to them at all.

He is on Zantac with his morning food to help with acid issues in between meals. Here's what I ended up doing for food. I made a mixture of cooked ground turkey, green beans and black eyed peas. I added a little parsley for flavor, but that's it! I am giving him about 2 cups at a time. This morning, which is the first time he had it, he didn't finish it all. Left maybe 1/2 cup. I stuck it in the fridge and offered it to him a few hours later-he gladly finished it!

Today, his belly is much less distended and he is moving around more. He is now jumping back up on the couch without needing help. Even his eye seems to look slightly better-but that will take quite some time to return to normal-if it ever does. He does now have pure diarrhea-I am assuming from the pure protein feedings. That's why I added the beans and peas. Hopefully, I will help things firm up a bit!

I will add, through this forum, I found that methyl-B12 would possibly help with his back end weakness. I've had him on it for about two and a half weeks now. I am noticing no difference in his strength though. Needless to say, I discontinued it. I am wondering if it has anything to do with this flare up.

Comment

I do think its possible the pancreatitis can create weakness and possibly to the back legs . My brother had pancreatitis and the pain is quite substantial .

As amy suggested since your dog has and acid problems smaller and more meals maybe appropriate than just 2 big meals . Now that may affect regulation but others have made it work like amy with her maggie

Your dog wasn't on fluids for very long to give the pancreas more of a rest . I think 3 days is kind of the minimum . It does sound like maybe the pancreas is healing a bit but the diarrhea is a concern . The pancreas provides many functions and one of them is to help with digesting food
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
              I do think its possible the pancreatitis can create weakness and possibly to the back legs . My brother had pancreatitis and the pain is quite substantial .

As amy suggested since your dog has and acid problems smaller and more meals maybe appropriate than just 2 big meals . Now that may affect regulation but others have made it work like amy with her maggie

Your dog wasn't on fluids for very long to give the pancreas more of a rest . I think 3 days is kind of the minimum . It does sound like maybe the pancreas is healing a bit but the diarrhea is a concern . The pancreas provides many functions and one of them is to help with digesting food

I am attributing the diarrhea to the fact that he has been eating only protein. I know as a human, if I drink a protein shake, it definitely loosens things up. Now that I've added the beans and peas, I'll definitely be on the lookout to see if/how it affects his stool. If it's not starting to firm up by Monday morning, I'll have to revisit all of it-including the vet.

Comment

Re: Vader-PLEASE HELP !!!!! UPDATE

My new meter came in and I just tested Vader. He ate about 15 minutes ago. He ate 2 cups of homemade food and got 18 units of Novalin N.

His sugar tested at 125!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I'm a little worried that with a full dose of insulin, he'll end up too low! I'm going to retest every hour until bedtime to be sure he's ok.

What are the chances he will drop too low?

Comment

good idea to check to make sure sugar comes up . Not allot of wiggle room with that 125

Many dogs like my jesse will spike up off a lower number and it doesnt have to be low blood sugar but actually pretty normal sugar as you have seen with the 125

depending on what insulin your using may determine when onset is . Jesse uses NPH which doesnt get going for her until 1.5 hours

Comment

Good job with the testing. What is Vader’s weight?

With the pancreatitis and diet change, his insulin requirements have more than likely changed. Further BG testing will show if he will drop lower. Once the pancreatitis is gone and he’s been on his new diet for a week, it would be a good idea to do a 12 hour curve.

In the meantime, keep doing spot tests to see if he’s dropping low.
                    Last edited by MikeMurphy; 05-19-2018, 03:56 PM.
                    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                    Diabetes: Aug 2013
                    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

good idea to check to make sure sugar comes up . Not allot of wiggle room with that 125

Many dogs like my jesse will spike up off a lower number and it doesnt have to be low blood sugar but actually pretty normal sugar as you have seen with the 125

depending on what insulin your using may determine when onset is . Jesse uses NPH which doesnt get going for her until 1.5 hours
                      I just gave him about 1/2 cup more, because he was asking for it. I retested and he is now at 270. So, I think we're golden!!!!!!!!!!! Using Novalin N-so NPH as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
                        Good job with the testing. What is Vader’s weight?

With the pancreatitis and diet change, his insulin requirements have more than likely changed. Further BG testing will show if he will drop lower. Once the pancreatitis is gone and he’s been on his new diet for a week, it would be a good idea to do a 12 hour curve.

In the meantime, keep doing spot tests to see if he’s dropping low.
                        He is 77 pounds right now. I just retested and he's at 270 an hour and fifteen minutes after eating. I also gave him a bit more food. The homemade stuff he's getting is so low in fat and carbs that I don't think it will do much.

Right now, I think we're good!!!!! I am planning on a curve at the end of next week. Having a meter I know I can trust is paramount!!! AlphaTrak all the way!

Comment

278 15 minutes after feeding and just before being shot! He played actively today and is moving around much more quickly. I am really feeling like the homemade food has done something to help him get through this bout!

The mixture I made tonight was lean ground beef, boiled chicken breasts, green beans, black eyed peas, garbanzo beans and cannellini beans. He INHALED it! It's obviously gonna be a bit more expensive than the refrigerated raw food-but I don't care.

On a side note-I also tried to put his old food down in front of him first-the fresh, refrigerated stuff. He ate it-and would have kept going, but I took it up. I'm going to stick with what I'm doing for a few weeks to regulate him and then MAYBE, I'll start to introduce his normal food back in for maybe one meal a day.

Comment

Very positive news and hope it continues and is fully healed

The thing about pancreatitis is if you have seen it once you definitely dont want to see it again if it can be helped

Comment

Very positive news and hope it continues and is fully healed

The thing about pancreatitis is if you have seen it once you definitely don't want to see it again if it can be helped
                              I believe this is his 4th time. This was, by far, the worst. In the past, we've only withheld food to help heal. According to my vet, that is no longer thought to be the best protocol. Int his case, she was right and the food change was imperative to making that happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X