Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Frodo, the Schnauzer

I've got run, but wanted to mention not to put too much emphasis on a single blood test. As I mentioned, the blood glucose varies through the day, maybe by a LOT in the beginning (200+ point range wouldnt be uncommon in the beginning).

Knowing this, making adjustments based on a single reading can be dangerous. Some vets will ask you to bring the dog into the clinic 6 hours after breakfast and the morning injection, thinking 6 hours (mid way between breakfast and dinner) will be the dogs lowest reading. Unfortunately, most dogs haven't read the vet's medical books and don't have their lowest blood Glucose at 6 hours. Again, just my example, but my Annie has her lowest reading around the 11th hour or just prior to the next meal/injection: every dog / situation is different.

Craig

Ps. Being a long "weekend", the forum might be a little slow for that next day or two.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodosFam View Post
I am thinking about the monitor. Right now, I wouldn't know how to adjust his insulin based on the results. We will see what happens when we go back to the a-hole vet on Monday.
The forum can help evaluate your readings. Caution: some vets will tell you not to home test! My answer to them is: "if your human child was diabetic, would you home test the child?" Of course they would!

Amazon, and a few other websites, area great places for supplies.

Got to run!

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 04:26 PM

I would like to add my welcome and echo Craig's advice to home test.

First, the welcome...you have found a really awesome forum filled with people who live this diabetes thing every day. We all know the fear at first finding out and the "I don't know what I'm doing" feelings. The one I think we all have in common is wanting to be the best advocate for our furry critters. The people here want to help, just ask. Even when you don't know what to ask, remember we've all been there.

Second, the echo...after I found this site and began to read (and there's lots to read), I decided we were going to home test Vinny. My husband needed a little convincing, but once I talked him into it, we've never looked back. We have done every curve at home that has been done on Vinny, primarily because I knew one at the vet would never be accurate. Vinny is and always has been awesome about it...some pups aren't. I just never let him know how nervous I was initially! I couldn't begin to tell you how much money we've saved or how many times we've caught him at a really low point. My vet told me he was going to have me teach other clients how to test their pets! This was after he had initially told me that I didn't need to home test Vinny. I didn't listen.

Hang in there. Two full time jobs and a toddler is a handful! Feeding and giving a shot to Frodo twice a day will become automatic. It will just take a little practice!
Mel and her Monster Vinny!
Old 07-03-2017, 05:05 PM

Would it be reasonable to assume that if we were to buy our own meter that it really doesn't matter what lancets we use?
Old 07-03-2017, 05:10 PM

We're just 6 months into this ourselves and I can't say enough about home testing. It's less expensive than going to the vet and have them do it, especially when you're doing curves to figure out correct insulin dosage.

I was overwhelmed at first and pretty scared. But we're into a nice routine now and it takes me about 10 minutes to feed and give an injection in the morning before I go to work. I would be a lot quicker if I didn't piddle around and smash her black-eyed peas up with a fork.

3 units is a very low dose for a 30lb dog. Daisy started off at 27lbs on 3 units and I gradually worked her dosage up until I got her into an acceptable range at 4.9 units. The key is patience. Do a curve, adjust the insulin, let them settle in 5-7 days on the new dose then keep doing that until they're regulated.

You're in very good hands on this forum!!
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 07-03-2017, 05:15 PM

And I would hope to only use the meter for home curves instead of going to the vet and paying out the butt for them to use the same thing.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodosFam View Post
Would it be reasonable to assume that if we were to buy our own meter that it really doesn't matter what lancets we use?
True, any lancet would produce a usable blood sample. There are different types if you plan to use lancing device (a spring loaded "pen" that holds a lancet and when activated pokes the hole). If you have doubts about the lancet and lancet device, I'd ask a pharmacist. Walmart / Sams Club would be a good choice for the first purchase, then compare with Amazon for the best price. Really, lancets are pretty cheap anywhere.

You will have a choice to the gauge (thickness of the "pin") for the lancet. Most humans like the super thin 30, 31 or 33 gauge. These are frequently too thin for our dogs. I'd recommend 26, or 25 gauge for our dogs. Your local pharmacy might not stock these thicker 25 gauge lancets, but you can get them online.

When you shop for a meter, remember the test strips are their money maker . A $20, or free, meter might not actually be better than a $40 meter if the test strips are more expensive. You will be using a lot of test strips. Everyone has their favorite meter (I have 8, because this became a hobby for me ). Get one, and there's no law that says you can't get another if you don't like the first one!

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 PM

I use the ReliOn (Walmart) lancing device (I think I paid a couple bucks) with ReliOn 26 gauge lancets (around $1.68 for 100).

I also use the Alphatrak2 (strips run about $48/50 count) Advocate Pet Test (strips run about $38/50 count) and now that I've been doing this awhile and am getting a feel for it, just got the ReliOn Prime (Walmart human meter, strips run $19.88/100 count) and do a little equation to get pretty close to the Alphatrak2 number. When she goes a little haywire with her blood glucose, I always use the Alphatrak2 to do a curve or confirm extremely high or low numbers.

It's a shame you can't mix and match meters and strips, but like Craig said, that's the moneymaker.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 07-04-2017, 04:56 AM

Where do people typically buy their supplies?
Anyone ever order from adw?
Old 07-04-2017, 05:20 AM

I get the test AT2 strips from ADW or Ebay, whichever is cheaper but I've found Walmart is the cheapest for Novolin, ReliOn syringes and lancets. The Advocate Pettest strips are cheaper on Amazon, sometimes Ebay but you have to watch the expiration dates.

The health dept. in our county gives out free sharps containers and when it's full, you turn it back in and get another one.