Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Frodo, the Schnauzer

I definitely am not mad at him. Just the situation.
I'm wondering if we should consider crating him during the day.
Also, I am trying to make an appointment with a different vet, the vet who diagnosed him was kinda a jerk to me and I didn't feel like he was a partner in Frodo's care. What questions should I be asking?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodosFam View Post
I definitely am not mad at him. Just the situation.
I'm wondering if we should consider crating him during the day.
Also, I am trying to make an appointment with a different vet, the vet who diagnosed him was kinda a jerk to me and I didn't feel like he was a partner in Frodo's care. What questions should I be asking?
Not sure about crating, but do not restrict his drinking water. As Jesse Girl mentioned, heavy water drinking is required by an unregulated diabetic to flush the body.

I'd ask if he/she supports home blood testing. Some vets might charge a nominal fee to review your test data, if you ask for their opinion. Be wary if they try to tell you that you MUST switch insulins, and buy foods that they sell. Some may want to do Fructosamine test which basically tells the average blood glucose for over three weeks. I would humor the vet and OK the Fructosamine test once or twice, but not too frequently. If you are home testing, you already have an idea how the blood glucose is doing.

Craig
Old 07-04-2017, 05:00 PM

So a friend of mine has the following two meters. Which one is better?

One touch version
Region prime
Old 07-04-2017, 05:48 PM

I used to have a website saved with questions to ask the vet, but I can't find it right now. This one seemed to have similar questions... http://www.petdiabetes.com/pdorg/diabetes_questions.htm I guess the main thing I wanted was someone that was going to be supportive in my choice to home test Vinny, and also someone that had dealt with this and knew when he/she was out of their depth. In my work, I can't be afraid to call in someone that knows more than I do and I wanted that in a vet for all our pets, but especially Vinny.

This has a lot of good questions besides those as well! 😉
Old 07-04-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
So a friend of mine has the following two meters. Which one is better?

One touch version
Region prime
What's better chocolate or strawberry ice cream? Pretty much personal preference.

I think you mean One Touch Verio. There are many One Touch meters and they are probably all high quality. https://www.onetouch.com/products?fi...ry_tid%5B%5D=5 Some have features that I'd never use, I would just want the basic One Touch Ultra-2. I'd also check the price of the test strips for the specific meter. These test strips may be expensive at local pharmacies, you would need to order online to get a decent price (need to plan ahead not to run out). Although I've never had a problem with my One Touch Ultra-2, it does require one millimicron size blood droplet. No, I can't explain what one millimicron droplet looks like: pretty darn small and I've never had an error not having a large enough sample.

The ReliOn Prime only requires .3 millimicron sized blood drop (1/3 the size droplet the One Touch Ultra-2 requires). Doesn't really matter to me, either need less than a pin head droplet. The ReliOn Prime test strips are the cheapest and can be bought at your local Walmart / Sams Club.

I might suggest the ReliOn Prime solely because of the cheap test strips. You may waste test strips learning how to test Frodo. If you later find that you don't like it, you can always get a different meter and you would only be out a few dollars.

Guess there isn't just one that is perfect in all respects.

Craig
Old 07-05-2017, 12:54 PM

You'll find that your life is going to change somewhat and decisions just need to be made for the benefit of the dog. If cost is a concern get the cheap one and test it against the vet meter so you can calculate your meter's readings.

With his sugar running high, regulating him and getting some control over the next few weeks is paramount, to help avoid things like ketoacidosis or pancreatitis. Be methodical. Consistent feedings and consistent dosage. Let him pee freely. You may have to adjust your schedule to accommodate his needs if possible.

It will get better and easier, with less demand on your time and attention.And you'll feel good about your efforts.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 PM

Tried taking a blood sample today. Epic fail. Couldn't get enough blood. Lol. The dog was very tolerant. It doesn't seem like he drank a lot today so it may have just been because he was a bit dehydrated. He tends not to drink/eat when we aren't home. We've now pulled his food but he still has access to the water....
Old 07-05-2017, 03:19 PM

I epic failed many times.

There's lots of ways of taking a blood sample. Daisy was just not having it on the paw or on her tail. I take a warm washcloth and warm up the inside of her ear near the outer edge, use a little vaseline so the blood will bead up and usually get a nice sample. Sometimes I use a little shaver (great idea Craig!) and shave some of the hair away.

She's such a good sport, she jumps on the bed and puts her head on my lap. I think she actually likes it.

It'll get easier.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 07-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Woot woot! I got it. He will be eating dinner in about 15 minutes. we got 236 on the the relion meter!
He ate only about half of his dinner.
We took another measure right before giving him his shot. 242

Last edited by FrodosFam; 07-05-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Woot woot! I got it. He will be eating dinner in about 15 minutes. we got 236 on the the relion meter!
He ate only about half of his dinner.
We took another measure right before giving him his shot. 242
GREAT WORK FRODO, and you too!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but realize the true number is likely closer to 340ish because the Prime reads dog blood lower than true. A very rough conversion I make when I use the Prime is to divide the meter reading by .72. So, 242 ➗ .72 = 336
This is what I, and a few others do. Others just go by the meter reading, but really aim for the lowest number to be near 100ish.

Again, great work getting readings. I was a disaster for weeks when I started

Craig