Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:57 PM

Default My M.J. Has Diabete - Just Found Out Today

I am much saddened by news today. Poor M.J. (Muggs Junior) has got diabete. From his all of sudden excessive drinking and peeing, I already suspected that but was not certain. I was going to bring him to the vet last week, but our very trusted vet past away from cancer, I had to search for a new vet that I felt comfortable with.

After a giant vet bill, on the way home. I tried so hard not to cry in the car. Poor little thing sat in the back without knowing what happened.

I am an animal rescuer. I have lots of animals on hand and I have tons of experiences of taking care of sick animals but I have never had one with diabete. I am worried, worry about M.J. worry about the expenses (don't get me wrong, I will spend whatever he needs, but sometimes, with that many animals around, I just don't have it even if I don't eat).

I am hear to listen, to learn from all you guys. All your knowledge is precious to me now. Thanks,
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: My M.J. Has Diabete - Just Found Out Today

Welcome to the forum. I moved your post into "Diabetes Discussion: Your dog" where more folks might see it We generally like to keep a pup in a personal thread so that all the info / history is easy to follow. There may be a short delay from when you post a comment until you see it on the forum until Natalie, the forum owner, approves your membership (I've sent her a message telling her you are here, so she will likely get in-touch with you later today).

Tell us as much as you can about M.J.. What insulin are you using, his weight, starting dosage, food served, really anything at all. We love hearing about the new "kids" on the forum

Craig
Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM

M.J. Born on Jan 16th 2008. Rat Terrier, 18lbs, male, intact.

Humulin: 3 unit twice daily. I went to Walmart pharmacy, they gave me Novolin instead. The Pharmacist says they are the same thing. The syringes the pharmacy sold to me have short needles, 8mm, different from what they've showed me in the vet's office. Not sure if it matters, I know dog skin is thin about 1/3 of human's.

Amoxcillin for 14 days.

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Low Fat Canned Dog Food - this is what I am not sure about.

The vet bill is still about $500, that's after I insisted the vet write prescriptions for the insulin and antibiotics and sent to Publix and Walmart pharmacies. I got antibiotics for free under Publix's programm. Call me frugal, I don't have just one or two dogs. I have a bunch, plus cats, plus horses...

Last edited by Nan's Pups; 03-06-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Hi and welcome to you and MJ!

I know diabetes seems overwhelming but you will become a pro in no time. One thing to consider is testing his blood sugar at home. It can save you money on vet bills and you have better peace of mind about how he is doing.

Prescription food is not a requirement by any means. The food you previously fed may be fine. Just about everyone here feeds a different food - the most important thing is for him to eat without a struggle. What were you feeding before?

What is the amoxicillian for - an infection?

This forum is full of knowledge and experience - there are always people to bounce ideas off of or just vent or cry about diabetes. It can be frustrating but it is totally doable, even on a budget.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan's Pups View Post

Humulin: 3 unit twice daily. I went to Walmart pharmacy, they gave me Novolin instead. The Pharmacist says they are the same thing. The syringes the pharmacy sold to me have short needles, 8mm, different from what they've showed me in the vet's office. Not sure if it matters, I know dog skin is thin about 1/3 of human's.
Novolin-N is what many of us use because of the low cost contract at Walmart. $25 for Novolin-N at Walmart compared to about $100 for Humulin-N at other pharmacies.

I also use the short 8mm syringes (30 unit capacity). Also less expensive at Walmart. These are usually great for our smaller pups because they have unit marks for small dose changes. As you adjust MJ's dosage, you might have to estimate 1/4 units!

As Amy mentioned, home blood testing can be a big help in getting MJ regulated. Probably for the cost of one vet visit you could get a home meter and enough test strips for a month. Many choices for meters, many here use the human One Touch Ultra with good results. For lowest cost, online (Amazon is my friend) shopping can be much less expensive than local stores. The exception would be the Walmart ReliOn Prime meter & test strips which are the same price at the store as on their website.

Here's an article that might be helpful: http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm

Craig
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 PM

Not being pushy, but wanted to show you the One Touch Ultra meter. Less than $20 at Amazon, but probably $75-100 in local stores. Test strips are less expensive online also.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ra%2Caps%2C289

Craig
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 PM

I'll go with the AlphaTrak2

Last edited by Nan's Pups; 03-06-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Talking about meters, what about this in Walmart?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Pri...ingMethod=p13n

I can pick it up tomorrow, don't have to wait for shipping.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 PM

I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm pretty new here too...my pup was diagnosed a month ago. This forum is a life saver. There are folks on here that know everything from what to look for, how to save money, how to get you through the hard days, etc.

It does feel overwhelming at first but I am starting to get into a routine. I test at home using the AlphaTrak.

You might also post the city where you are looking for a vet. There is probably someone on here that knows a good vet in the area.

-Jen
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 PM

The best way to control your pups diabetes is to monitor the blood sugar at home with a glucose meter, glucose strips that match the meter, lancets. 3 units is a good start but a low dose for an 18 lb doggie. Testing will be ideal right now.

Especially taking antibiotics. Wheres the infection.? Why did the vet rx an antibiotic? Medications raise blood sugar good time to home test

All the learning tools are here in the site for you along with videos to show you where and how to test your dog.

This will tell you how much insulin to give your dog.

Its also important to feed your pup whatever he or she will gulp down and enjoy. If they dont eat it dont force it. Obviously they dont like that food. My opinion why add a topper to make them eat. Change their food to anything they will like to eat. I went to my local pet store for info on feeding my diabetic dog.

For now its good not to feed store bought treats till you get more info etc. Ingredients, manufacturer. Lots of veggies for treats.

Its part of the program to walk your dog three times a day. This will bring their blood sugar down and avoid organ problems. Dogs need to be active at least 3 times a day. They need to move wheras cats metabolism dont need walking.

Patients, go slow, monitor test. feed, exercise.
Feed every 12 hours, inject after food