Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Default Hello everyone from Canada

let me introduce my diabetic dog Riliey, were from toronto ontario canada. he's 12 years old, male black cockapoo, dx diabetes april 10, 2012, weighs 9.2 kg/20.2 lbs. Riles eats twice a day 3/4 cup of Fromm surf and turf..Then he gets 5 1\2 iu in the am and 6 iu in the pm of novolin ge nph insulin. midway a few fresh green beans cut up. i use the one touch ultra 2 meter and get my strips on kijiji for $30 a 100. we bg test to the l and r of his tail.

its been quit a diabetic journey this past year and have learned alot, seems i never stop learning about diabetes. previously in 2010 he had 2 lumps removed and his teeth cleaned. one more lump has come up. the radiologist says he has bronchitis. he only coughs when he gets bad air. i have asthma so we usually have good quality air indoors.

i joined the group awhile ago but didn t post till now so i could record his weight and post his lab tests . he hasn t had a vet till now.( $500 bill) his lab results are in his profile.
This forum has been a big help as i have visited lots over the past year. hoping to learns lots more.
i need to do a curve soon its been awhile and hopefully get some feedback on his lab test results.

The vet says he's doing great nothing to worry about. his right eye has corneal adema glaucoma? illness? 3rd eyelid. his left has cataract. looks like hes a good candidate for surgery.i see high triglicerides in his lab work and a few other things that might be a problem but not sure as i can t read lab results. i also asked the vet for some fast acting insulin like novolin r to have on hand, but she didn t recommend it.
i also asked she didn t do the frucostamine ($50) 4.7 mmol or the heartworm test (negative) as it was done last year. but she did it anyway. overall i got his lab work done but looking for a new vet next year.
he got his annual vaccinations da2pp plus rabies $107.33. picked up his revolution $109.35 for fleas, ticks etc. i usually inject in his mid back at the 6 hr point once a month.

what caused his diabetes? i don t know. prior to his diabetes i fed him Benefil with basmati rice . when he had his surgey in 2010 he was given hydromorphone 2mg/ml inj, cefazolin 200 mg inj, fentanyl duragesic patch 50 mcg, antirobe 75 mg during surgery. upon drain removal he got tramadol 50 mg. , wound was flushed given baytril 150 mg. he was prescribed prednisone-apo 5 mg tabs (20) to take home and give him. (prednisone was necessary so no lung infection)

so here we are. thanks for being here. any feedback will be welcomed.

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 05-11-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Hello everyone from Canada

Welcome!
Sounds like you have Riliey pretty well under control! Great work!

Craig
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Founding Member

yep it sounds like riley is happy enjoying a dogs life a testament to the care you provide

i do agree with the fast acting insulin even if its not needed for now it can be a nice tool if an illness sets in or numbers just get out of whack for a period of time and you just cant seem to get any relief with nph

i use r and novolog on jesse very small doses but she is a wobblier as far as he numbers and can be quite different from day to day so it has been very useful for her

welcome jump in anytime we enjoy everyone's thoughts just brings more info to the table to help us all
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hi and welcome to you and Riley, even though you've been around awhile

Looks like Riley is doing pretty good. I saw his cholesterol is within normal limits but his triglycerides are a bit higher. I watch to see if it fluctuates on the next lab test. Higher triglycerides can cause some insulin resistance.

Good luck with the next curve! Glad you are able to home test.
Patty
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 PM

Default riliey

Riley is thrashing. Cant get his breath. Trying to get air. Darn keeps moving his mouth alll around. Heads down. Backs is up. Licking he cant do something!

he keeps clicking his jaw like somethings stuck. Hes struggling bad. Hes panting big.

He coughed up a tooth! geez soooo scary. Didnt know how to help him. He's okay now but wow sooo scary. He couldnt get the tooth out. His bg went really high for 2 days. Even the humulin R didnt bring his bg down. Upped his insulin from 5 to 6 today. Geez. He's sitting comfortable right now. What a big tooth he struggled to get out. Sooooo scary.

his bg at 2:44 is 466

gave 6 iu instead of 5 iu at 12

yesterday he was 432 gave 1/2 unit of R

by 2 he was 258.

I think he might have a gum infection .

Waiting for 5:30 to give him some more R with a bit if food see how he is at am fasting

any suggestions welcome.this is soooo scary

mo

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 05-28-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Default Re: riliey

Wow, glad he was able to resolve it.

Is it the entire tooth come loose from the jaw or did part of it break off and some it still left inside? Is the root in the jaw still?

Could have an infection or abcess in the tooth socket or could develop one, depending on whether the tooth broke off or not.

Chris chewed on a large bone too long once and broke off the front face of one of his big back molar type teeth. Would up with some infection up in the root area and had to have it extracted.

Natalie
Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 AM
Founding Member

omg how scary.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 AM

Sorry I don't have any advice to offer but wanted to send well wishes to Riley. And wanted to give a pat on the back to you for being there to help him through. Hoping things get back to normal soon.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 AM

That is scary!! I would load him up and cart him off to the vet if you can!! If he has an infection that could mess with his bg! So sorry Riliey isn't himself!!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Founding Member

oh my . yes i would have him looked at as soon as you can

hope rilley feels better soon