Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Question Brownie my Yorkie became an angel August 31, 2017

Brownie is a 12 lb. Yorkie and was well controlled on 5 units of NPN until she got a bladder infection. Now she is free of the infection but has Alpha Trak glucose curve readings in the 600 range after receiving 12 units of insulin twice daily.

Our vet has said that she is probably insulin resistant and we could try Vetsulin. I cannot afford the Vetsulin so I'm hoping for some advise on how to suppress the resistance. So far she isn't showing outward signs of ketoacidosis.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Insulin Resistant After Bladder Infection

hi and welcome

12 units is allot for a small dog . Its possible raising the dose in response to resistance from the infection has led to a dose being to much

I might lower back down to at least 5 units i might even go lower just because that 5 units if given during the infection may have seen a bit of resistance and the 5 units may have been to much without the infection

higher numbers and big swings in sugar after seeing good regulation may point to a dose being to much or some other medical issue coming off fairly stable sugar previously

Home testing can help with determining whats going on but it going to take some work on your part just minimal testing at the vet wont accomplish much.

Now i have not seen much difference between nph and vetsulin on the forum as far as a response from dogs but sometimes a switch can give a reset to the process and once again i would start with a much lower dose

Many times our pull is to give more insulin when we see higher numbers and actually we might be going in the wrong direction especially since you have some history of adequate regulation with a much lower dose
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Thanks Jesse girl,

Brownies reading were coming up as High while we were increasing her dosage. Never a lower number even though I was taking them before meals and 2 -3 readings during the day. When we reached 12 units I actually got a number instead of high, they were consistently 575 - 650.

My vet said she was resistant and that she might have something else going on. The vet would like to do ex-rays and an ultrasound and possibly more testing to rule out cancer or pancreatitis, I can't afford this.

Without seeing any low readings, it seems to me we could go up to 13 or 14 units and we would see lower numbers. What do you think?

If I can't regulate this I will eventually have to euthanize Brownie. Obviously this is not an option I want to make.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:29 PM

How long have the high readings been going on? What is your dog's diet and how often do you feed her? Does she get snacks? Could the food and when/what she eats be partial cause of higher numbers? Is the bladder infection cleared up?

The dose should not be more than the weight of the dog. So, I would not give increase. 12 units for 12 lb dog twice a day seems like an awful lot, but some dogs do require more.

I would certain look at all options before euthanizing. If you're using Alphatrak meter and strips, that can be very costly. I made the switch to Advocate Pettester and strips, which cut down the costs considerably. The meter starter kit was $9.95, and 50 strips are around $18 on Amazon. vs. $55 for alphatrak strips on Amazon.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Last edited by MomofGus; 12-02-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:04 PM

Brownie was diagnosed in March 2016 and was well regulated on 5 units until the October spike. Brownies numbers have been between 384 and Hi (750+) since October 22nd. Most in the 580 - 680 range. She is 12.6 lbs. and her bladder infection is cleared up but her numbers have not. She eats Purina dog chow 1/2 c. twice a day with insulin injections right after eating. She gets treats very rarely. She gets a very small piece of dehydrated liver usually after a difficult glucose test or after nail clipping or hair cut which are stressful for her.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you using real AlphaTrak test strips and verified the code number is set correctly?. Mistakes can happen like messing up the code number.

How is Brownie's urine? Accidents in the house, sticky looking? With true high numbers you are seeing I'd think he would be drinking water / peeing all the time.

Craig
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you using real AlphaTrak test strips and verified the code number is set correctly?. Mistakes can happen like messing up the code number.

How is Brownie's urine? Accidents in the house, sticky looking? With true high numbers you are seeing I'd think he would be drinking water / peeing all the time.

Craig
No problem, I appreciate any response to help out. I am using the Alpha Trak and it's test strips and have verified the code number.

Brownie is drinking alot but is not having accidents unless we leave her alone for an extended period. She is let out multiple times during the day and at around 11 pm, once during the night and again between 7 and 9 am. (Kinda like my husband. lol) She barks to be let out, the dog not the husband.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

This is a tough one I don't think we've seen a pup that actually required more than one unit per pound. Hope someone will come up with some good ideas.

Craig
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM

this is just a thought but I have read posts on dogs getting sick from dehydrated liver treats especially the ones manufactured in Thailand and China. I would stop all treats , do a curve in a week to see if this is the problem.

worth a try

also changing the dog food might help
Old 12-02-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
this is just a thought but I have read posts on dogs getting sick from dehydrated liver treats especially the ones manufactured in Thailand and China. I would stop all treats , do a curve in a week to see if this is the problem.

worth a try

also changing the dog food might help
Thank you. I made the liver treats myself with beef liver from my butcher. After cooking and dehydrating I have kept the treats in the freezer.

Please keep the ideas and comments coming something is going wrong with her glucose so any comments are welcome.