Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Default Frodo, the Schnauzer

We've just been diagnosed. Frodo is a 30 lb schnauzer mix. He's about 7-9 years old (shelter dog).

Thoughts on food? I cannot afford the w/d. I was thinking about the blue wilderness weight management.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Re: New diagnosis

Hi and welcome to the forum!

As far as food goes, the important thing is to find something that Frodo will eat consistently and also that it be low fat(our diabetic dogs are subject to pancreatitis). The Blue Buffalo Weight Management should be ok.

Let us know the insulin type, dose and frequency.

The k9diabetes web site is a good place to start learning about managing Frodo's diabetes...

http://www.k9diabetes.com/
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-03-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: New diagnosis

My Annie was on several of the Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight kibble for several years. Some think higher than average fiber is beneficial for diabetics (higher fiber is probably good for non diabetic humans too, but I wouldn't eat the kibble myself ). After a couple of years, Annie just stopped eating it without drama so I've gone to something else (possibly not as diabetic friendly) that she will eat 98% of the time.

Tell us more about Frodo. What insulin is he on, what is his dosage?

With your permission, I'd like to change the title of your thread to something like "Frodo, the Schnauzer". This would make this really his thread.

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Frodo the Schnauzer Mix: New diagnosis

Right now, 3 units of Novolin N, 2 times a day.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Frodo the Schnauzer Mix: New diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodosFam View Post
Right now, 3 units of Novolin N, 2 times a day.
Sounds like your vet is starting him off with a very low, conservative, dosage. This is a good thing, but keep in mind 3 units is likely VERY low, especially for a Schnauzer. Be sure to have him evaluated every week or so and have his dose adjusted. Every dog is different, but just as an example my 18 pound Annie is on 8 units of Novolin-N.

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Frodo, the Schnauzer

Frodo popped a 400 blood sugar level last week when we brought him in for something else, unrelated.

The hubby and I wanted to see if we could regulate his BS with diet alone (giving him a better diet, trying to prevent him from grabbing food off the counter, and stopping the toddler from "sharing). Today, his BS was 301.

We aren't thrilled with having to do insulin (we both work full time, and we have a toddler so the needles are a little scary).
Old 07-03-2017, 02:38 PM

Making sure you know about getting Novolin-N from Walmart. Walmart sells various Novolin insulins for $25, same insulin goes for $130+ at other pharmacies. Syringes are priced right there also,
Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Making sure you know about getting Novolin-N from Walmart. Walmart sells various Novolin insulins for $25, same insulin goes for $130+ at other pharmacies. Syringes are priced right there also,

That's our plan! A friend mentioned that to me. She is a pharmacist at Sam's Club.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodosFam View Post
Frodo popped a 400 blood sugar level last week when we brought him in for something else, unrelated.

The hubby and I wanted to see if we could regulate his BS with diet alone (giving him a better diet, trying to prevent him from grabbing food off the counter, and stopping the toddler from "sharing). Today, his BS was 301.

We aren't thrilled with having to do insulin (we both work full time, and we have a toddler so the needles are a little scary).
From what I've read, and experienced on this forum, dogs become like a human type-1 diabetic that will require injected insulin. Diet change won't do it . Blood glucose values vary throughout the day so there really isn't much difference between 400 and 301.

To save a little money, and to get him into a better range, you might consider home blood testing. Usually pretty easy once you've done it a few times. Most on the forum home test using either an inexpensive common "human" meter, or a slightly more expensive dog glucose meter (AlphaTrak and PetTest are the most common ones). Take a look at the videos on the main section of k9diabetes website, and on YouTube.

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 03:10 PM

I am thinking about the monitor. Right now, I wouldn't know how to adjust his insulin based on the results. We will see what happens when we go back to the a-hole vet on Monday.