Mik is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik: 13 yr old Shih-Tzu

Theophylline was another drug we tried but Chris couldn't tolerate - it increased his already fast heart rate.

I suspect that the PDA he had as a puppy not being repaired for so long damaged Chris' heart when he was young. He wound up at a city pound and we adopted him at about 5-6 months. At first a lot of his weakness was attributed to his being so thin and having so many parasites - fleas, worms, ticks plus kennel cough... once he recovered from most of that, they found the PDA.

He didn't have surgery until he was about 8 months old. At that point, he was so weak from lack of oxygen that we weren't sure he would survivie long enough to have the surgery or survive the surgery. But he did and was like a new dog once that closed up that hole! He felt good, probably for the first time in his life.

He never had much stamina. Some of the cardiac issues were noted back in 2004 when he went to the vet school about his diabetes. But they didn't become pronounced for another year or two.

That's a good question about the Keflex.

Comment

Mak has only one more day of Theophyline 100mg x 2 a day. He really hates the stuff--can't grind it, cut it, quarter it, hide it, nothing gets by Mak once he knows the smell.
      Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Well, after two weeks of perfection, Mik decided to set his own dining hours. He was eating 300 calories in the am, and 350 in the pm, day by day. He got the cal'd Vetsulin, 1/100 or 3 IU and then 3.5 IU. He was doing well, looking good.
        Gaining wt just fine.

Three days ago, he decided not to eat in the am. Nothing. So, he got basal about .5 to .75 IU.

I get home at 2:30 and he's barking for food. I hold off an hour and he gobbles down that 350 calories and then barks for more. I give him another 100 calories, more endless barking, so I cave and give him another 50.

After that, I ignore his barking. He finally gives up.

Little devil was doing so well..
        Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

He was just priming you to think you had this problem licked... so to speak. You know, build up your confidence so he could shatter it again.

He's a senior senior citizen and I guess he's gonna do what he's gonna do!

Glad he ate today.

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
            He's a senior senior citizen and I guess he's gonna do what he's gonna do!

Natalie
            Heh, kinda like me..

Comment

He's joined the 'i hate the 9 to 5 routine' lol. he's on weekend for a few days. eat when you want, sleep when you want. just like a little person
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                Peggy and Forbin, Border Collie/Lab, 86 Lbs, DX 12/08, Vetsulin 21 2x a day
                I feel better that both our dogs seem in the same range: 86 lbs / 42 [21x2] or about ~.5 IU of vetsulin per pound of body wt.

Mik is about 11.5 lbs now, and getting 6 iU per day, or ~.5 iU per lb.

Glad to hear I'm in the same approx range as you. I feel more confidence with info on this board that the vet or the documents inside the Vetsulin pkg.

I do up that 6 per day to 6.5 when he has a huge dinner.

Comment

I do Robert. I'd never be where I am with Forbin without this board. I feel like I know more than the vet sometimes. Its scarey.

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                    I do Robert. I'd never be where I am with Forbin without this board. I feel like I know more than the vet sometimes. Its scarey.
                    Totally agree with both statements. I guess the vet spends 10 minutes with a diabetic pet, but we live with it 24/7. It only makes sense we have more experience with the day to day behavior and varying conditions.

I once asked the vet what to do when Mik refused a single bite. He thought about that a moment and I explained about a basal unit that I learned on this forum.

He said, "That sounds like a good plan."

Scarey
                    Last edited by robertpri; 12-02-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I brought Buddy to my Vet on Saturday and told him about this board. He was extremely impressed with the things I have told him I have learned from this board. Buddy's BG was going a little nuts and Natalie is the one who said she thought it might be his treats. I brought the empty bag to my Vet and he agreed. Although they were mainly made of Duck, they also had brown rice and a fat content of Min. 25%. Natalie also suggested that I wait 15-30 min. to give Buddy his insulin. His BG was 93 this morning and 143 when I got home tonight. I will be doing a curve this weekend to see how it is going. And last week I couldn't keep him out of the 200-300 range. Darn cookies.

Comment

I now follow wife Karen's feeding habits for our pets over 33 years. They NEVER get treats of any kind. Never! No scrapes, no little bits of stuff. It's the vet approved dog food or nothing. Five dogs and three cats have learned this well.

I did not learn it well, and wasted a lot of time with attempting treats, cheerios, baby food, etc., etc. At the time, it was "something" in Mik's belly, but looking back over the months of frustration, I wonder if I should have simply stuck to her method.

All of our pets were healthy, happy, and lived long lives.

Anyway, that's what I do now--good dog food or nothing.

[of course, if the little rascal goes on another hunger strike, I do remember how to force feed baby food--if only to get his Vetsulin.]

Comment

I know if you offered me See's Peanut Brittle bars when I refused to eat my salad, I'd hold out for the peanut brittle. It's worth taking the chance!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                            I know if you offered me See's Peanut Brittle bars when I refused to eat my salad, I'd hold out for the peanut brittle.
                            Natalie
                            Well said. [in my case, it would be chocolate]

Comment

Mik has developed a new game, called "statue". He stands over his food like a statue or stuffed animal and does not move. Finally, I force a small amount of dog food into his mouth and he decides it "might" be okay to eat. Or not.

After a great month, this past week he refuses to eat anything in the am. This am, I just kept after him until he downed 250 calories.

I want to have his BG tested, but his eating habits are now all over the place. I would like to have 2-3 days of consistency before testing.

Comment

Nothing like the dog testing his owner 'again'. He just wants to see if you are serious about following your wife's rules. He's a funny little dog Robert. His antics keep us all entertained.

Comment

Working...
                                X