Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help switching foods/changing doses

yes protein in itself should not spike blood sugar through digestion

i remember another member saying the same thing with there dog which i thought was quite odd

my jesse is on a lower glycemic protein diet and will spike sometimes and sometimes not . telling me its not tied directly to food producing sugar quickly . i had to add some carbs

the only other alternative is the bodies internal storage of sugar being dumped into the blood stream

i have given my jesse honey with her meal and did not spike

my theory is a highly digestible carb or even sugar can quiet the bodies response to a low glycemic food that it may recognize as not going to do the job

this was my biggest problem with jesses regulation as believing it was a food spike and needed to continue to reduce to a lower glycemic food which had the opposite affect spiking it more

now for a human diabetic this must sound bizarre but carbing up seems to quiet the bodies response and in the end flattens things out . now this is just speculation there is no way to prove where sugar comes from . it all tests the same but for me there is more to this than meets the eye

i think dogs digest there food and process injected insulin quite differently from humans . thats why its difficult to correlate the 2
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

When Daisy was on a higher protein diet, I could not get her anywhere near regulated. She spiked horribly and was running in the 600's. The human endo doctors were telling me "no, give her protein, no carbs, dogs don't eat carbs, they're meat eaters, she'll even out".

Well that didn't work out too well.

After combing this forum and getting advice from the members, I switched her to Novolin N and her food to a low glycemic carb diet that consists of chana dal, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, turkey and chicken, spinach, broccoli, green beans and carrots and WOW!! I actually saw progress!! It took several weeks to adjust but my schnauzer was regulated and evened out!

Every day the human docs ask "How's our patient?" and are quite amazed at Daisy's transformation. Now they're reading up on doggie endocrinology, insulin, dosing and food. One doc said "Ya know, Kimmie, I was reading this article on chromium picolinate and how it can even out a dogs blood sugar. There was this one controlled clinical study done on 100 diabetic dogs..... with Daisy's weight, (gets out calculator) you would dose her at about 20mcg twice daily and sprinkle a little cinnamon on her food. The veterinary article said that's good too."

I asked if he could count that towards his CME's.

Hahaha.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

I had the same problem with my poodle...too much protein. I now feed her Ruby's Stw which has the same ingredients as you posted and I have been able to control her spikes. This forum is a great source of information.

Comment

WHat did you feed Maggie once her pancreatisis starting flaring up? What did you feed her after the nutrisca?
          Mili (7 pound 7 year old yorkie mix- DX August 2016) currently on 4.5 units of Novolin N 2x a day with 1/4 cup Nutrisca (salmon/chickapea) dry and 1/2 hard boiled egg 2x a day, 1/2 tbsp pumpkin, digestic enzymes, tsp coconut oil 2x a day and 1 salmon oil capsule 1x a day ....still unregulated

Comment

When her pancreatitis would flare up, I fed boiled chicken with a few pieces of pasta(plain). When she would eat of course. After Nutrisca, I went to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck and Legume and canned Weruva Paw licking chicken wet food. These were the lowest fat I can could find without potato or rice, which made her sick.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
            X