Ruby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ruby

Gee Tara, you sure have your hands full with Ruby. For the longest time, Otis had what seemed like a chronic upset tummy and would regularly wretch and spit up some foamy stuff or a almost clear mucus. This went on for several years ... didn't happen all the time but it was very frequent. We'd get all the "tummy sounds" when this occurred too.

We went through all the drills with various meds you and others have mentioned. All this ceased after Otis went through a pretty long regimin of several strong antibiotics for something unrelated. My guess was he had some kind of bacterial infection in his digestive system which was "playing in the background" and was never addressed until this combo of antibiotics knocked it out. Haven't had the problem since. ... Serendipity????
    Last edited by farrwf; 05-20-2013, 04:32 AM.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Oh Tara - I don't have any words of advice. Just following along and cheering Ruby on. Glad you slept near her last night.

Please provide an update when you can.

Tami, Soaph and Syd
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Thanks Mpollww and Bill.

I am thinking this is probably a pancreatitis attack. If it was just the spitup I might think ulcers upset stomach, ect. But the stuff coming out the back end is nasty and makes me think it involves more then just the stomach.

I am going to touch base with the epi4dogs just incase they have any input and I have an appointment with dr. today at 2:45.

She still has a delayed correction of her hind foot when I turn it under, but I can't tell if it is neurological or if it could just be weakness.

She did spit up more last night around 11pm and what I am reading says to with hold everything 24 hrs. beyond vomiting and then start slowly with water. Then you would go to a bland diet. Not even sure if I could get anything to go down and stay down other then the honest kitchen with regards to the megae.

Not sure her other diseases are up to the long recovery and diet adjustments it might take.

I think I will contact honest kitchen to see if they have a bland diet that might meet those needs.

Tara
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

I have too vivid of an imagination to read much of these but I hope Ruby can start to feel better
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hoping the vet visit helps and things start looking upward, Tara.
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Tara,

Just catching up on some threads, and I am so sorry to hear that Ruby is still not doing well.... hold her close, and I will pray for some resolution at the vet's office and they can tell you what is going on.... and 'fix' it.

Barb
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks guys, not too hopeful. pretty teary. She just vomited again. I think I forgot to mention that the circling has returned. Again only outside and no nystagmus.

Just doesn't seem like she is really in there, sometimes, but not all the time.

If we end up putting her down it probably won't be until tomorrow after the family ( mostly my son Basil) has a chance to process it. I think she feels crummy but isn't in pain. I would have Tyne doctor come to the house as I know when I bring her to the vet's for appt. she worries that she will be left.

....I always told her she would never have to go any place else. Got to go can,t see anymore to type.

Tara
                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

if it is pancreatitis it is a bit of a process to heal. jesse was in hospital for maybe 8 days or longer then she came home and after a couple weeks some of the signs returned with the foamy yellowish vomit . it did break my heart because thinking this was it .

things turned in a better direction so we felt a tad better about the situation but she took a long time to heal .

so if ruby stabilizes and it may take a week to see real progress and with your ability to keep her blood sugar in fairly good range with your bag of tricks there is hope and opportunity to recover. more than likely you will see some antibiotics prescribed .

ruby does have some complex issues and you have managed them well tara as good if not better than a true professional give it a bit of time if ruby says thats what she wants to do .
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

oh Tara, big big hugs to you. you and Ruby have been through so much. You absolutely could not have done one more thing for her whatever happens.

pancreatitis is just a scary thing.

xoxo Judi
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

What to say??? ... We're hoping and praying things break to the upside for you and are with you in spirit.

Bill & Otis
                      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Tara,

My heart is aching for you right now. You've done so much for Ruby and like you've said, she's been a real trooper and has defied so many odds up till this point. What you describe is sounding to have a bit of a neurological component to it. But with so many factors it must be very difficult to try to figure out what may be causing/effecting what at this point.

I was up much later than planned Thursday night. John & I had noticed over the course of the week Rascal cat was not feeling well but Rebecca had not picked up on it. At one point we were uncertain he would make it through the night and had decided to tell her around 9p Thursday night, just in case. She cried and cried. Then stopped long enough to express her concern about not being there to say goodbye if we had to take him to the vet Friday. I was quick to let her know we'd come pick her up from school so she could go with us. She was in the middle of a story telling competition when I picked her up but said a couple of times over the weekend she was glad to have gotten to say goodbye. Our vet was great about explaining the process and we've kept her teacher in the loop and she's been wonderfully supportive too. Having an answer as to what the cause of death was and having been there to say goodbye was much easier for her to grasp than all the uncertainty surrounding Decker's death.

And enough with the negative, grim stuff. I'm still sending prayers and holding out hope that you will get some positive news regarding Ruby. But did want to share since Basil and Rebecca are close in age.
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

such a wonderful supportive place.

thanks Jesse girl for the possible time line on recovery. The thing that scares me most about that is if the bland food that they have to eat, when they start to eat would work with the megae. It doesn't look as though the Honest Kitchen makes anything that would be pancreatitis healing friendly. Honestly I don't know that much about it though.

Just got off the phone with My husband to let him know where my thinking was. For all that he rolls his eyes at all that Ruby entails he does love her. We both started crying. He said I should give her a few days to see because she has bounced back from so much else. I would just hate to have her not eat for god know how long and then feed her and have it not work with the megae.

Goodness, I just had a thought. Sometimes they can feed megae dog's with the meatball method. You make little meatballs out of the food and they swallow them whole. Supposedly they can slip right down the throat that way. I never did it because she had to have the enzymes mixed in and it tended to liquify her food. Now she is taking Creon though so it is given in pill form and I could do meatballs.

Oh what a roller coaster.

I will let you guys know the outcome of the appt. as soon as I can, as I know how much we agonize over each others dogs. I have to go pick up my son after the appt. and then will check in.

Tara
                          Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Aww, I feel so bad for you and Ruby. I sure hope you get some encouraging news from the vet. (((hugs)))

Jake
                            13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                            At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Tara I am so sorry to hear that Ruby is not well. It's awful when they are feeling sick and pancreatitis makes them feel yucky. If I can be of any help with food ideas I am happy to share info. But you seem to have so many other issues with Ruby that I don't know if a normal diet for pancreatitis ( if there is such a thing) would be suitable for her. Thinking of you and Ruby. Hope things improve quickly for you.
                              Anne Marie
                              Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Just quickly we will try something. Will give details later. Not putting down yet.
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Working...
                                X