Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kramer needs your thoughts and prayers

Originally posted by We Hope View Post
    Kramer sounds like he's done quite a bit of improving! Hope all of you are feeling better too!

Kathy
    Hi Brea,

I do hope Kramer is continuing to improve. Pancreatitis on it's own is enough for a dog to cope with without DKA on top of that! Poor boy.

I'll keep you all in my prayers.
    Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

Just called the vet and they think he's improved from yesterday too. Only time will tell. They're going to monitor him all day, give him his meds at 5 and then we're picking him up again.

My aunt called my mom and I today to tell us that she thinks it is Kramers "time", and I was so annoyed it was all I could do not to grab the phone from my mom and say "THATS NOT YOUR CALL!!!" Its so frustrating....people think that since we go beyond what an average pet owner may do that we're crazy and we're just doing it for our benefit. I'm sure you guys can all sympathize with me. We're treating Kramer and keeping him around because he's still happy and "healthy". When the happiness disappears and he's in pain or suffering, then we'll make the call....but until then...he's not going anywhere. What we choose to spend our money on is OUR choice. And I think we've made a damn good one. UGH.

Sorry...I just had to vent a little there...to people who "get" us.

Breanne and Kramer
      Breanne and Angel Kramer (Rainbow Bridge March 18, 2010)
      Kramer Tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDQatUq6Ms

Comment

Originally posted by KramiesSister View Post
        Just called the vet and they think he's improved from yesterday too. Only time will tell. They're going to monitor him all day, give him his meds at 5 and then we're picking him up again.

My aunt called my mom and I today to tell us that she thinks it is Kramers "time", and I was so annoyed it was all I could do not to grab the phone from my mom and say "THATS NOT YOUR CALL!!!" Its so frustrating....people think that since we go beyond what an average pet owner may do that we're crazy and we're just doing it for our benefit. I'm sure you guys can all sympathize with me. We're treating Kramer and keeping him around because he's still happy and "healthy". When the happiness disappears and he's in pain or suffering, then we'll make the call....but until then...he's not going anywhere. What we choose to spend our money on is OUR choice. And I think we've made a damn good one. UGH.

Breanne and Kramer
        Breanne,

I'm so pleased that Kramer is doing a little better. Another step in the right direction.

I know what you mean about other people's attitude to sick animals. I was telling a nurse (who also has dogs and appears to love them) a couple of weeks ago about Dazzle's problems and she turned round and said "you are going to have her put to sleep aren't you?" I was flabberghasted to be honest - would she expect her human patients to be euthanised if they had the same problems??

We all have to do what we feel is right for our pets and us - but I firmly believe that our animals let us know when they don't want to fight any more and when it is time to let them go.

Some people don't have any clue as to how much veterinary medicine has improved over the past generation - certainly in my lifetime I've seen huge improvements in what we can do for them while still maintaining a good quality of life.

You keep fighting as long as Kramer is willing to fight. You are doing what you know is right for you and him so don't listen to anyone else.
        Jan & Dazzle (Border Collie aged 12 yrs) dx 06th February 2009. Dx Hypothyroid 12th July 2011. 6 units am & 5 units pm for this week - still trying to get her back on track. Soloxine 0.4 mgs once a day.

Comment

Hi Breanne - I just read about poor Kramer. I feel so badly for you and Kramer. But, you have worked as hard as anyone could to keep your boy well.

You know him better than anyone else, so you take your cues from him!

Years ago I developed asthma from my beloved kitty Brandeis. He had to be given away to a new home and I thought I would die. I had to deal with the "he's just a cat" comment as well. What helped me during that time, was keeping this in the back of my mind....."you're just an idiot"....

My well wishes are with you and Kramer.

Comment

We "get" you, Breanne. I get that attitude from those around me....my son is learning how to tell when a pet is ready. If I had Lady euthanized right now it would only be because of money....so many just don't get it. What would I do with the money...spend it on clothes? better furniture? hair color? more make-up? more restaurants?
            Lady wants to be here!! Sounds like Kramer does too!
            Jo-Ann & Lady

Comment

Breanne and Kramer
              I totally get this.... I am with you on this, glad Kramer is better today...

Comment

I'm just starting out with a "sugarkid" and I get this. My prayers for you and Kramer.
                My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Comment

Just checking in on you and Kramer... I assume he's back home with you, tucked into bed with perhaps an IV. The reports earlier in the day gave me much hope.

My aunt called my mom and I today to tell us that she thinks it is Kramers "time", and I was so annoyed it was all I could do not to grab the phone from my mom and say "THATS NOT YOUR CALL!!!"
                  Oh good grief!! When will people learn to keep their silly thoughts to themselves?!?!?!?

My best story is when my cat was diagnosed with diabetes... this was before the internet was such a great tool so it was a very scary time. I was talking to my grandmother on the phone and told her about my cat's diabetes. She said oh, she's old and now she's sick. You should just put her down. So I told grandma that she too was older and not in the best of health so given her logic I guess we would have to do the same to her.

That shut her up....

Hope everyone is sleeping peacefully and that Kramie is continuing to improve.

Natalie

Comment

Kramer will be on his way back to the vet for the day shortly. He got up and walked around the yard this morning, had a few pees and then went back to sleep inside.

He's still pretty weak but its not a huge surprise considering he hasn't eaten since Monday. The vet wants us to try him with some bland food tonight to see if we can't get some energy back into him. I think that well tell us how he's really feeling.

Its still so hard to see him so sick. Especially hard because he's such an affectionate and vocal dog with lots of personality and you wouldn't even know it right now. He's like a different dog.

Here's hoping he perks up tonite and has a bite to eat.

Breanne and Kramer

Comment

• Re: Kramer needs your thoughts and prayers

Kramer will be on his way back to the vet for the day shortly. He got up and walked around the yard this morning, had a few pees and then went back to sleep inside.

He's still pretty weak but its not a huge surprise considering he hasn't eaten since Monday. The vet wants us to try him with some bland food tonight to see if we can't get some energy back into him. I think that well tell us how he's really feeling.

Its still so hard to see him so sick. Especially hard because he's such an affectionate and vocal dog with lots of personality and you wouldn't even know it right now. He's like a different dog.

Here's hoping he perks up tonite and has a bite to eat.

Breanne and Kramer
                      Hi Breanne,
                      Glad to hear you have got Kramer home, there is no place like their own home
                      when they are poorly. If he has not been eating it will take him a wee while to get his energy back.

Do not listen to other people they just do not understand the bond you have with them.I know how you feel as it is a Schnauzer I have and they are so loveable. If it had been left to two of our vets Lucy would have been put to sleep at Xmas but the vet I deal with said "no way" and he has worked with me with her.
                      We think she has a UTI at present I am waiting on the results coming back.

I am so glad Kramer is feeling a bit better and he improves each day I am still
                      saying prayers for him and thinking of you. Breanne you stay positive they are hardy wee dogs.

LOL
                      Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Just got an update from my mom (I had to go back to work today)...she called the vet like she does every day at noon for an update and they said his IV is out and he's ready to come home. They're giving us all of his meds and he ate a little food today so hopefully he'll keep eating and drinking lots for us this weekend.

If I knew how to change the title of the post I would...but I'm not sure how that works.

He's still very very weak and quiet and definitely not himself but somehow he has managed to improve ever so slightly each day.

Now we have to find ourselves some extra strong pancreatic enzymes because just eating extremely low fat food doesn't seem to cut it.

Do any of you guys have suggestions? We used to actually give him raw pancreas with his food because that is supposed to be the best way to go, however it gave him "stinky foot beard" so we went back to prozyme which obviously isn't cutting it. I'm thinking maybe viokase....or we'll just put up with stinky foot beard and give him the pancreas.

Breanne and Kramer

Comment

I am so sorry you and Kramer have to go thru this. I have no answers (I wish I did) but am happy to hear he is well enough to come home, I think that will be better for you and him . I don't think you need to change the title either, if so that's fine but i'm still thinking of Kramer and praying he keeps getting better.

Comment

Glad Kramer is on the mend. Maybe you can feed him some lo fat broth with white chicken. Make it soupy and do maybe 5 small meals a day. Wal Mart has their broth in 32 oz cardboard box. There is no sugar in that. You can split the meals in 1/5's. Did your vet send home any Tramadol for pain and anti nausea meds? That would help
                            Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

• Re: Kramer - Feeling a bit better and going home

Poor little Kramer. I am glad he will be back home and in loving arms again.

I had to laugh at what Nat said to her grandmother. That was FUNNY. It took guts but it was very funny!

And I would just put up with the stink. Whatever it takes to make him better!

Comment

• Re: Kramer - Feeling a bit better and going home

All they sent him home with was some low fat food (royal canin veterinary low fat) which we're going to try but we'll probably switch back to our homecooked but maybe give him smaller more frequent meals so there isn't as much pressure on the pancreas at one time.

And they sent him home with Baytril (an antibiotic).

No Painkillers, no anti-nauseants.

We're feeding him about a tablespoon whenever he wants some. He's eating it slowly and can't really eat more than that.

He's much more alert but still really wobbly. Everytime he stands up and shakes, he falls over. Its actually pretty cute...you can't help but giggle sometimes. But he's definitely trying. Even popping his head up if he hears a squeaker toy.

We're still plugging away. He's sure skinny. Who knows how we'll put weight on him now!

Breanne and Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                X