Grand Lady Snickers passes away April 21, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Lady Snickers passes away April 21, 2019

Snickers, a Skye Terrier mix, was part of a litter of puppies that was left at a shelter in the early winter of 2000 when they were only several weeks old. Shy and reserved she wouldn't even bark for the first month or so. Eventually her true terrier colors emerged and she grew into a beautiful dog.

Fast forward 15 years. She is doing pretty well for her age with some loss of hearing and vision (not cataracts). She tore her acl in 2010 and that slowed her down a little but not too bad. She walks everyday no matter what the weather.

Then in November 2015 she got a uti. She didn't completely recover from that and that's when she got very sick very fast and was diagnosed with diabetes in early December. Her numbers (pretty much everything they tested) were very bad and the vet felt the only way she might recover would be with round the clock care. Unfortunately my vet and does not do overnight supervision so we would have had to go to an emergency clinic for proper care.

He warned us about the costs to treat her and honestly felt that at her age, there was probably another underlying problem, like cancer, that was not diagnosed and we could spend a lot of money and still lose her.

We opted to treat Snickers on an outpatient basis, and honestly I was just hoping to keep her alive long enough for my son to finish his finals and make it home to say goodbye to her. She was vomiting, not eating, had lost a lot of weight and was leaking urine at night. Needless to say there were lots of tears, lots of prayers.

Well, Snickers fooled us all and has recovered quite nicely, with no small thanks to this forum. It's not totally smooth sailing but after a bumpy start her numbers are settling down and we have gone almost a month without another uti.

One of our biggest challenges is getting Snickers to eat, especially on a schedule, especially in the morning. We were given an appetite stimulant to use but I only like to give it to her when she won't eat, not as a default, partly to monitor how she is feeling.

Snickers is currently about 35 lbs, takes 11 units of Novolin N twice a day, and uses a Reli On human meter for testing. I used to feed her a rotation of grain free food (I would change food often as she becomes bored with her food and changing brands did not seem to cause her any distress) but now I suspect those that contain potatoes cause her problems so I'm down to only to varieties at this point - one from Earthborn and one from Natural Balance. She also gets a glucosamine treat, a collagen pill and d-mannose.

Again, I can't stress enough how helpful everyone here has been and how often I've used the links to videos (bg testing here's looking at you). At 15, Snickers has a limited time left and making everything as painless and stress free as possible can only enhance her quality of life. Thank you so much for everything!
    Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Re: Snickers' story

Welcome to the forum! I copied your post from the biography into a fresh thread just for you and Snickers. You seem to be doing great!

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

What a lovely first post!!! And I'm glad you put it in the Stories section as it's a great testament to these dogs' ability to persevere and defy the odds and predictions.

For whatever reason, a lot of dogs don't like to eat in the morning. If it is just too much of a pain to manage, you can give insulin using a different regimen where she would get a small dose of insulin and no food at breakfast - 1/4-1/2 or so of the normal dose - and then a large dose and her full day's calories at dinner time - probably more than she now gets at dinner because she would eat more food at that meal.

Since you're home testing you can work on something like this.

Or, you can offer her breakfast and if she eats give insulin as normal and if she doesn't, give her a small dose.

Only about 1/2 of the insulin given goes to the meal. The rest maintains their basal blood sugar level. So they can have some insulin with no food on board.

Natalie

Comment

Natalie,

Thanks for the response. Friday morning she wouldn't eat anything, even people food so I opted not to give her any insulin. She was at 141 (unadjusted Relion #) and I wasn't going to be around to watch her.

Three hours later she was at 208 so not the end of the world. I gave her 1/4 cup of food but no insulin because I was afraid of it overlapping with her next dose and again, I wasn't going to be around again for several hours after her evening meal and dose.

Glad to know about the basal blood sugar requirements. I was too afraid to dose her and my vet recommended erring on the high side.

Liz
        Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

my jesse is a dog that only gets one meal a day and a small snack

so there are options if its just going to be a fight for the long haul

probably wouldn't get a vet to buy into something like this and would work but it has for jesse 6 years later and doing well

the key to this disease is consistency in the routine you are doing . jesse routine is consistent
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

You usually want to start conservatively - maybe 1/4 of the usual dose. See how that goes and raise it if need be. Our dog could take about half his usual dose without insulin.

Natalie

Comment

Great introduction. Welcome to the best place in the known universe for doggy diabetes information, advice & fellowship!

Looking forward to following Snickers' journey for years to come.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Snickers just threw up all of her breakfast right after she was done with her walk, about an hour after after I gave her 11 units of insulin.

I gave her some chicken and alpo snaps and some other treats. It takes a lot of coaxing to get her to eat dog food so I just wanted to get some food into her as soon as possible. She seems fine but I'm pretty worried about her having all that insulin and not a lot of food.

How worried should I be?

Comment

i might not have given a full dose of insulin without a full meal and a possible upset belly so i would watch blood sugar today and formulate a plane for the second meal if you are still having a problem

my thought with any upset stomach and no desire to eat i would stay away from force feeding and maybe fast a dog for at least one meal

you usually can give a quarter of the normal dose without any food . testing blood sugar is preferred with this method and if blood sugar is at a lower level at fasting it maybe prudent to skip a dose . the more food consumed the more insulin you maybe able to give

hope snickers feel better
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

She ate a full breakfast, then I gave her the dose, then she threw it all up.

She didn't seem like she was feeling bad but I did try a new brand of food this morning. I have no idea if that's what made her sick or if she is just being a dog and happened to throw up.

I know they say to watch for lethargy but she's 15 so she sleeps the vast majority of the day even when she's feeling great.

Comment

oh i see it sounds like the food change maybe the culprit

i give jesse a teaspoon of honey to lick off the spoon when blood sugar is lower but we must remember the affects of pure sugar may only last up to an hour at most and then sugar can start dropping again

i would not hesitate to give some snacks throughout the day if not testing blood sugar . shaking and some panic can be a sign of low blood sugar . severely disorientated maybe on the threshold of a seizure from low sugar

usually lethargy can be a symptom leading up to low blood sugar but it also can be spiking or dropping sugar or lower or higher sugar so thats a difficult symptom to get the full story

Comment

Do you have any of the old food that you could use to mix the new in slowly?
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                          Do you have any of the old food that you could use to mix the new in slowly?
                          Yeah, normally she does not have any problems switching different foods, different brands. Since she was diagnosed we've been using Earthborn and it's worked pretty good but she tires of her food so in the past we always rotated.

Last week we tried Nutri Source which seemed to work really well for her blood glucose but she didn't really like it and it was getting to be an ordeal to get her to eat it. Friday morning she wouldn't eat it at all so today I decided to try a Natural Balance variety. Couldn't tell if it was the food that made her sick or what but I'm reluctant to try it again.

I suspect that foods with potatoes or rice give her problems so that has been the challenge - to find foods without those ingredients. I kept giving her snacks today - these omega 3 treats she has - and her glucose shot up to over 400! Her bg stayed pretty good the first couple of hours after she vomited but after those treats it went up almost 300 points.

I've suspected fish oil as being a problem for her and cut it out for a while. I don't think I'll go back to that either.

Comment

My dog can't eat potatoes or rice either. She likes the taste but those ingredients don't like her.

Nutrisca is a brand you might try with no potato or rice. Dogs seem to like it. I usually don't push brands but finding something with no potato or rice is tough because most can be very high protein.

Is it possible the food was bad? Does it smell funny?
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                              My dog can't eat potatoes or rice either. She likes the taste but those ingredients don't like her.

Nutrisca is a brand you might try with no potato or rice. Dogs seem to like it. I usually don't push brands but finding something with no potato or rice is tough because most can be very high protein.

Is it possible the food was bad? Does it smell funny?
                              I think the food was ok. I'm not even sure that's what caused Snickers to get sick but she wasn't that excited about the food either so I think I will just return it.

I'm thinking about trying Nutrisca but I can't buy it locally so I would have to order it. I usually try to get things locally so I don't have to plan ahead and order or be worried that something will arrive on time. But I really want to be able to rotate food so I think I will give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X