Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Default Re: Griffin... New to this and stressed out...

Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
What is his liver issue, and what is the treatment plan? I have a friend with a non diabetic Westie who is throwing off similar #'s. Thanks.
Basically his liver has been damaged because of his diabetes... its a little bit enlarged but seeing that what now appears to be signs of diabetes were taken as something else we arenít sure how long he has had it so his liver has been compromised... itís not bad, itís just taking a little longer to respond to the treatment plan, he was only diagnosed in October and we are now in January so he is going in the right direction and everything else is responding well to treatment itís just this is taking longer than the others... we have also taken out the internal flee treatment he was on which we donít think helped it at all... he has samylin 2 times a day and he has a liver booster shot every 6 weeks to boost the liver function... we are also going to discuss adding milk thistle in as well to help him as well... apparently it is hard to stabilise a liver on a normal healthy dog so it will take longer on a dog with diabetes...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:52 PM
Default Re: Griffin... New to this and stressed out...

What a lovely update about Griffin!

Originally Posted by emz.buckley View Post

Sorry I havenít updated but I have been sick over the holidays, it was lovely, but I hope everyone had a good festive period and a happy new year!

Griffinís result came back and they were good... his cholesterol was down and nearly back to normal, his pancreas is nearly back to normal and one of the liver results had gone down again but the other two had gone up by a couple of points... but the vet was happy with the results, she thinks the liver may take longer to stabilise than she hoped but she is not concerned because his liver points are at 400 and she has seen them at over 2000 so she is happy... and we are relieved, lol!

He has adapted to the new dose well... he has had his moments when he has looked for food or looked at us hopefully but he is getting better at it... he has been very good recently but there are days when he falls back into old habits and it does stress me out because we are working so hard to get things level and he tries to get into things he shouldnít and you just think, I am trying to save your life here stop trying to screw it up! But he is doing ok...

My question is, he is due for his injections this month, do they affect the diabetes? I just want to check before we book him in for them...