One Touch Ultra VS. Lab work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Touch Ultra VS. Lab work

We took Tee Jay to local young last Thursday... (this time different Vet who was even younger... looked just out of school... I thought the first Vet was young..)

back to story... this young, younger Vet tested Tee Jay for BG.. at same time we Tested with our "One Touch Ultra" for people... Was suprised by the results.. We were told that the "One Touch Ultra" would be very close to accurate for a dog, at numbers below 300.

Well it was not. The One Touch Ultra tested at 134 BG. The Lab work was 184 BG. 50 points off.. we were told that the higher the BG gets, the bigger the difference will be.. So if it's already 50 points off at 134 What could that mean at 300, 400 or more?

Now we are not sure if we should keep useing the OTU. Our Vet in Wis. told us, he tested the BG tester for dogs and found it too was off.

What do you folks use?

Re: One Touch Ultra VS. Lab work

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=18

ACVIM 2008 Abstract

Evaluation of Six Portable Blood Glucose Meters in Dogs.
    T. Cohen, R. Nelson, P. Kass, E. Feldman
    School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis

The purpose of this study was to evaluate six portable blood glucose meters (PBGMs) - AlphaTrak, OneTouch, Elite XL, AccuChek, Precision, Contour - for use in dogs. One hundred fifty-eight venous blood samples were asayed for glucose using all PBGMs in randomized order and by a reference hexokinase method. Results from the PBGMs and reference hexokinase method (HM) were compared.

HM blood glucose concentrations ranged from 41 to 639 mg/dl. There was excellent correlation between PBGMs and HM results (table). Results were consistently low for 4 PBGMs compared with HM results. High and low results were common with the AlphaTrak. The difference in results between PBGMs and HM increased as blood glucose concentrations increased. Difference in results between PBGM and HM were significantly (p<0.0001) less for the AlphaTrak and OneTouch and significantly (p<0.01) higher for the Contour compared with other PBGMs. Problems with correct identification of hypoglycemia (<70 mg/dl), normoglycemia (70-120 mg/dl), and hyperglycemia (>200 mg/dl) varied between PBGMs (table).

Percent Incorrect from Reference Range
    AlphaTrak -- 18
    OneTouch -- 21
    EliteXL -- 45
    AccuChek -- 45
    Precision -- 49
    Contour -- 73

Results of this study support use of the AlphaTrak and OneTouch glucose meters based on significantly closer results with HM.

Comment

I use the OneTouch UltraSmart meter and found it to be off by around 47 points on 3 separate occasions in the mid 100s and mid and higher 200s.

Tested at the lower end, my meter read 37 and the lab 65 - so off by 28 points.

Each time I tested her right lip and compared to their jugular draw analyzed by an in house lab at two separate facilities.

I have also compared testing her right lip vs. left lip as well as her elbow and found a difference of 14 points.

The last time the vet drew blood I tested as I normally do, but she drew blood from a leg vein and sent the sample out of office. Their blood work was 87 points higher. I got 189 which I adjust to 236 and the lab read 276. So I do wonder about some of the variables.

I recently sent out for a Freestyle Lite and it is reading even lower than my OneTouch. I will tell you I'm not crazy about the Freestyle Lite strips as you can't see the blood being sucked up like you can on the OneTouch. Maybe someone can comment on the Alphatrak strips as I believe they are like the Freestyle Lite.

I also have a OneTouch UltraMini for travel and it is 3-5 points lower than my UltraSmart.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Our OneTouch was about 35 points low throughout a wide range of blood sugars. There is this belief that meters all get much farther off at higher ranges of glucose but that was not our experience and we used the OneTouch Ultra for four years.

But it does vary dog to dog. No one can predict how far your meter will be off for your dog. It can even vary between two meters of the same brand.

Comment

The meters will vary, I use the Walmart Relion for my spot checking and when I do a curve or feel something is wrong with Niki I will use the Alphatrac.

The human meters will be off more so when the bg is getting more higher

My readings at the vet (vets alphatrac ) and the Relion meter were off about 25 points, the actual blood sent to lab was about 50 pts higher,

These are reading's 3 hrs after food & shot am fast was 115
          137 Relion meter using capillary blood me testing at vet
          160 Relion meter using blood draw
          187 actual blood done in lab at vets

another time at vet
          the Relion matched the Vets Alphatrac at 202 but blood sent out to a lab was 271, this vet sends the blood out, she agreed with her Alphatrac meter and mentioned transit could of affected the bg figure as well as some other test results I was concerned about.

I have tried a lot of different meters, we all have different views on meters and the ones we prefer. It will be different with each dog.

I would like a bg meter figures to be written in stone, but the human ones will always be off some, the higher the bg the human meter will reflect a more increased figure.

Hope this helps.
          Dolly
          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
          X