Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: New member Snowball

I think you can say snowballs curve is established with a drop after insulin and food and its a pretty good drop on most occasions

My jesse had a similar problem and it was difficult to figure out what would work. What was problematic was the drop and we needed to solve that to get jesse regulated . I tried different highly digestible carbs and even honey to slow that drop with limited success . I ended up delaying her shot by a half hour to an hour after eating which had limited success

What i ended up doing was splitting her dose half with dinner and the other half 2 hours later which made a big difference . I think the problem with jesse she just could not handle one larger dose . It just was hard on her and its possible her body is not completely comfortable with humane insulin but in smaller doses she was ok . Now this is just a theory of mine what works for jesse may not work for any other dog . She does have a unique routine .

Can you correlate any of the physical symptoms with levels in blood sugar ?
Does snowball feel better when sugar was lower?

There was a small dog on here i think his name was alfie who never had very good regulation but lived a happy dogs life without any physical symptoms that limited him from running around being a dog

How is appetite ? are stools good . You said you picked snowball up and she cried may showing there could be some abdomen pain but also that could be spinal pain

There is a big difference in symptoms of weakness and pain . As I suggested abdomen pain can be a symptom of pancreatitis which is very painful and life threatening not sure if you dog has had it for as long as your dog has showed symptoms . I am not sure a dog could survive with the disease for months on end and not go into crisis but who knows for sure . Some dogs showed minor symptoms and still were diagnosed with pancreatitis . It also would create unstable blood sugar

It appears reductions in the dose keeps levels about the same so i think you have to figure out how to solve whats problematic which is the drop after insulin either by dosing or food or a combination of both . Like i said jesse food had limited success and the variables are difficult to control with just food alone but many have done well just adding something to the diet which helped
jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM

Appetite is very good. She eats like an animal. I can not correlate the weakness with the blood sugar. Earlier this morning she stood up and walked a bit and walked over to her bowl and drank some water. I took her out a little after and I could get her to stand, but she wouldn't go. The problem now is I know she has to pee and poop but she won't do it.

The curve below is when she acted the best I would say. At least till around 1pm. I'd like to be able to get the numbers down more.

Oct 3rd
620am 288
9am 124 3.5 units given at 7am
11:10AM 194
1:19PM 285
4PM 339
6:36PM 398
9PM 374 3.5U given at 7pm
Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM

415 at 1220pm
Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 AM

I got her to pee finally. I think first time since 2:30am last night. I tried to express the bladder as I read about online, but I think she finally just peed to get me to stop that. I then put her on the piece of grass at the office here where she usually poops and she did her usually walking looking for the right spot although I had to pick her up a number of times when she fell over. She finally found the right spot and got some poop out. I'm not sure if it all came out, but a decent amount came out. I noticed it was relatively hard though.

I was thinking, what if I keep her at say 2units for the night injection and bump the morning injection to 2.5u or 3units? As I said above, when teh stuff went down on that day, she was almost like our usual snowball.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Founding Member

very odd and snowball is something i have not seen on the forum with the symptoms you describe maybe some are similar but the overall symptoms in totality seems odd and may point to something outside of diabetes but its possible diabetes may aggravate it

Its possible there is multiple challenges going on . My jesse had 6 challenges to deal with early in her diagnosis but blood work was able to identify 5 of the 6 and treat accordingly .

you have been testing for a while and you should be getting a feel for snowballs pattern and fluctuations it seems fairly predictable which is good

It doesnt seem like you are seeing big thirst and excessive urination which is a sign of high sugar and the body trying to get rid of

You may need a second opinion from another vet on what is happening with physical symptoms you are seeing probably wont get much more help with diabetes that you are all ready doing . I think you have a much better understanding and how to explain to a vet which may give clues on what is going on
jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Sometimes different doses don't work because the body can't adjust to the changes quickly or on a regular basis.
Tried it with my dog, fed 2 different food amounts morning and supper, with 2 different insulin doses, things didn't improve.
Seems the body needs to settle into a consistent dose usually.

Even tho the dose you're suggesting is small, it's significant relative to the dog's size.
Doesn't mean it's not worth a try, just test to gauge reactions.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 8.5 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Maybe i'll try 2 units again tonight and up to 2.5units tomorrow morning and see if it makes any difference. I at least feel better that I got her to pee and got the poop out of her.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:30 PM

369 at 2:30pm
Old 10-15-2018, 02:16 PM

good news with her constipation. hope her pain has subsided and not crying.

her numbers are coming down i wouldnt make any changes and give her tummy a rest.

hope shes up and around more tomorrow eh!!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM

312 at 4:25PM.

She hasn't gotten up much today. She did walk a little around 10am or so and as mentioned at 2:30am last night, but usually she walks much more. I'm hoping to have some luck getting her to pee and poop tonight.