Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Starting Over With Ozzi...Need Advice

I have merged all your posts together. We like to keep to One Dog - One Thread so that any time a question is raised it is easy to go back and read the whole history all in one place.

We all are in the habit of checking any thread with new posts so it is easy to get our attention to a new question in the existing thread.

One thing I wish I could change is allowing individual users to change the subject of their threads. Unfortunately, this software does not allow that.

But if you want to have the subject of Ozzie's thread changed, just let me know either here in your thread or by PM or by email (k9diabetes@gmail.com) and I will change it for you!

Natalie
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

HI there. Just fyi, I use blue buffalo as well. I started with wilderness but it actually raised my dogs BGs. So it could go either way. I would cut 25% as well and see if you have to build back up. Then you will see if the Wilderness is making it go up or down. They make a new food now called longevity. Its white fish, oatmeal, no grain, no corn etc. If wilderness doesn't work out you may want to give it a try.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks Peggy...I will definitely keep that in mind! I checked Ozzi's BG at 8pm tonight prior to feeding and giving insulin and it was 585. I'm really hoping that a dietary change to a low carb food will help his numbers, and am glad to have heard of your experience just in case. I'm going to be feeding him Blue Buffalo Wilderness kibble and canned and keep my fingers crossed! I'll also decrease his NPH from 23u to 17 u twice/day, and we'll see what happens. Thank you again for your input.
Kevin
Old 03-07-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi View Post
Thanks Peggy...I will definitely keep that in mind! I checked Ozzi's BG at 8pm tonight prior to feeding and giving insulin and it was 585. I'm really hoping that a dietary change to a low carb food will help his numbers, and am glad to have heard of your experience just in case. I'm going to be feeding him Blue Buffalo Wilderness kibble and canned and keep my fingers crossed! I'll also decrease his NPH from 23u to 17 u twice/day, and we'll see what happens. Thank you again for your input.
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

What Peggy is telling you about the food will work for you.

I had to change Lucy's food last year I use Burns High Oats which is high in fibre, you can't get it in the USA and this did help Lucy's numbers.

Now I am having to add some protein as the fibre uses the insulin up quickly.
It is getting the right balance, Lucy does not go by the book when it comes to regulation.

You are doing really well I follow all the threads and you have been given a lot of good advice and tips.

Marg
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Marg,

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Today's good news is that Ozzi's fasting blood sugar was 433 at 8am, down from yesterday's fasting of 555 at 6am. I realize it's just one reading, but it's one that is going in the right direction. Ozzi loves his new food, and seems to have adjusted to no treats since he is not begging for them. He always loved the reduced fat cheese, so he is fine with that. Why? I do not know...to me it's tasteless!! LOL This morning I decreased his NPH to 17 units, so we'll see how he does. Visually, he is more comfortable this morning, not panting and not antsy. He is however still drinking more than usual.

I also started looking into a neurologist for his neuropathy...he now has some "dragging" of his back paws when I take him on walks. I'm lucky to be in the Boston area because I have access to Tufts and Angell Memorial. I looked at both web sites and have chosen a neurologist at Angell Memorial based on her expertise and Ozzi's issues. I'm going to wait until Ozzi's sugars are in better control, to not confuse the issue, since his hind leg weakness increases with high blood sugars.

Thanks again for your help and interest,
Kevin
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi View Post
Marg,

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Today's good news is that Ozzi's fasting blood sugar was 433 at 8am, down from yesterday's fasting of 555 at 6am. I realize it's just one reading, but it's one that is going in the right direction. Ozzi loves his new food, and seems to have adjusted to no treats since he is not begging for them. He always loved the reduced fat cheese, so he is fine with that. Why? I do not know...to me it's tasteless!! LOL This morning I decreased his NPH to 17 units, so we'll see how he does. Visually, he is more comfortable this morning, not panting and not antsy. He is however still drinking more than usual.

I also started looking into a neurologist for his neuropathy...he now has some "dragging" of his back paws when I take him on walks. I'm lucky to be in the Boston area because I have access to Tufts and Angell Memorial. I looked at both web sites and have chosen a neurologist at Angell Memorial based on her expertise and Ozzi's issues. I'm going to wait until Ozzi's sugars are in better control, to not confuse the issue, since his hind leg weakness increases with high blood sugars.

Thanks again for your help and interest,
Kevin
Kevin,

Glad Ozzi is feeling a bit better

Yes I agree with you get his blood sugars down a bit, then have your visit with the neurologist.
All the very best

Marg
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Hi everyone!

We've had a busy few days changing foods, starting to readjust Ozzi's insulin, and taking lots of blood sugars!

I posted his glucose curve above, as well as some numbers from spot checks the previous day, this morning's fasting sugar, and our current plan of action.

We decided on changing his food to BB Wilderness on the evening of 3/6/10 because his spot checks were running high on his previous food and 23 u NPH, and he was becoming very symptomatic...increased drinking and urinating and progressively becoming more antsy. Since we made dietary changes, we decreased his insulin about 25% and planned to give him 17 units twice/day. After the first dose, his sugars were very high and symptoms increased even more, so that evening we increased it to 19 units. I was up with him all night, watching him deteriorate in front of my eyes. I was taking him out every 15 minutes or so to urinate. I was worried about DKA, so I watched his ketones, and each reading was thankfully negative.

Given the difficult night and his fasting BG of 464 the next morning, I decided to increase him, and debated between 21 and 23 units. For good or bad, I did go for 23 units, knowing I would be home monitoring him all day. In retrospect, I realize that I increased him too much too quickly, and tried to compensate by giving him only 14 units last night.

This morning's FBS was 357, so I feel better about that compared to previous ones in the high 400's and 500's. So my plan now is to try adjusting him by giving him 19 units twice/day for the next four days, and making a further evaluation on Saturday.

I'm wondering what people think, and if that seems reasonable. Also, I wondered if anyone had thoughts on his curve done yesterday....it looks like he plateaued about 12:30pm, and had a second insulin peak at 3:30pm. I was surprised to see that, and wondered if others have seen it. I'm not concerned about it, and just want to know if I should be!! LOL

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Here is Ozzi's glucose curve. Please see my previous post just before this one for the questions I was wondering about.
Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by ozzi; 04-10-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hey Kevin,
It says the image has been deleted on flickr. Can you reload it?
Patty
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 AM

Arrow Re: Starting Over With Ozzi...Need Advice

Hi Kevin,

How puzzling about the glucose curve data disappearing!

I have an idea for you. Do you have a plain text editor? NotePad, or something like that?

You could type the numbers into that, like this;

Time - Reading
(repeat)

don't forget to show when you gave food and insulin. Here's an example - from my Master Text file on Kumbi, where I keep all his numbers.

READINGS AND EVENTS

06:30 - 16.9 mmol/L = 305 mg/dL
Breakfast: 06:34 1 cup MFF dry, 1 tsp yogurt; 1 tsp MFF canned
Food lure, 07:00: 1 tsp MFF canned
07:01 - 23.6 mmol/L = 425 mg/dL
Insulin - 07:01 - 7.5 iu of Novolin-NPH
Finish breakfast - 07:01 - 3 tbsp MFF canned
09:00 - 20.7 mmol/L = 373 mg/dL
Treat, 09:04: - 1/2 tsp. MFF canned
Walk - 09:55 - 10:30 (35 min) moderate pace, moderate excitement
Three kibbles on return from walk
11:00 - 13.3 mmol/L = 240 mg/dL
Treat - 11:04 - 1/2 tsp MFF canned.
13:01 - 14.1 mmol/L = 264 mg/dL

These are merely typed text! Should be possible to post anywhere - except maybe not on Flickr, which might expect a .JPG!

Well, you could make a screen shot of the typed stuff, but why bother!

I'd be really interested to see Ozzi's curve.

Tue, 9 Mar 2010 07:35:57 (PST)