when a dog won't eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: when a dog won't eat

Wow sardines, never would have thought of that one. I may try that, I also may learn to eat the leftover sardines too huh?

This AM I plan on blending up to a mush the chunks of dog food left in that can, since I think I weaned every part of the "stew" out of it. That should last us a few meals if he goes for it.

I don't think the water with his kibbles will work, not enticing enough smell wise.
    Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritdog6 View Post
      Wow sardines, never would have thought of that one. I may try that, I also may learn to eat the leftover sardines too huh?

This AM I plan on blending up to a mush the chunks of dog food left in that can, since I think I weaned every part of the "stew" out of it. That should last us a few meals if he goes for it.

I don't think the water with his kibbles will work, not enticing enough smell wise.
      Sigh.
      ...one thing I never had any desire to do was to eat the left over sardines....yet I ate my share of dogfood to show her how yummy it was ;-)

Good Luck!

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Eileen I did look at Sardines, but realized there are a lot of choices, sardines in oil, sardines in water, sardine everything!

I ended up buying a grocery store can of dog stew, at least this one has STEW, compared to the higher priced I just tried.

This seems to be working better at least for this AM and yesterdays AM. He is definitely off of homemade chicken (gives you that look of oh that stinks), so I don't put it in any more. He does seem bouncier today too.

And my 15 yr. old cat likes the new dog food too, she sniffed out his plate yesterday and starting eating it in front of him, lol, good, as she is another "competition" factor I need for my side!

Comment

I have this same problem with my dog Spirit, she goes through picky phases.

Try low sodium/light tuna or a bit of low fat or no fat cottage cheese or pumpkin (not pumpkin filling rather the canned stuff you bake with); one last option is carrots - I cook them in low sodium gravy and then strain them and mash some up for a little on top of the dinner spoiler.

They say dogs don't get tired of the same thing over and over but with Spirit I had to clever.

Good luck!
          Spirit Little Bear ~61lbs~ 16 units BID ~Humulin N~

Comment

I thought I would just share this...if your dog has any pancreatitis issues, I wouldn't feed anything in oil. Also, you can buy fresh sardines at the store! I didn't know that - I've only seen them in cans! LOL I'm a City Girl!

Anyway, my dogs absolutely loved them...they ate them whole and raw (back in the day). I'm afraid to feed raw with my dog now because of diabetes - but the jury is still out on that. I know folks feed their dogs carrots with no issues, but I stay away from them due to the higher sugar content. I feed green beans and zucchini - but grind them up as dogs can have problems breaking them down (digestively speaking).

I homecook and always warm up the food because of the smells. The pumpkin is particulary enticing!

Good Luck!

Pam

Comment

Working...
            X