Sweet Tee has passed - January 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Procedure Used by Vet's to Regulate Dog Diabetes

Another question, is there any point in us continuing to battle regulating with Lantus? We've observed inconsistent numbers while steadily increasing his dosage, maybe I could continue increase the dosage till I get more acceptable readings and attempt to regulate at that dosage? He's currently at 1.1 units per kg, on the high end of what's been seen in studies.

All our readings have been between 270 - 500. Only time we ever observed any reading below 270 was when we first made the switch, while he had the infection, and we were changing dosages frequently.

Thank you!

Comment

thats hard to answer . like i said jesse was on lantus for 3 days and i pulled her off of it so i did not give it enough time to see if it could work . only one dog on the forum that i seen had adequate regulation . now i have seen some dogs do well on levemir

i think its possible any type of insulin could work if you put the time into it . its kind of like the prescription food we know it works but many choose not to use it for there personal reasons and have success with alternative diets not really tried . jesse only has one meal and that works for her

what i do is say i will give it this much time and if i dont see any positive results than we will move on . for me thats no more than a month
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

My thoughts on increasing Lantus dosage is that you'll eventually see better numbers at certain points in the day, but may see low numbers if you're not feeding the dog throughout the day. Lantus doesn't decrease in strength as the day goes on like an NPH, so after the dog's food has metabolized and is gone from his system, the Lantus is still chugging along at full strength, whereas the NPH drops off.
        And that could be even scarier overnight.

I just had a talk with my endocrinologist about Lantus. He wanted to increase my dose but was worried I'd go low overnight. I inject Lantus at bedtime.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Hey guys,

Interesting behaviour from Tee, for the past 5 years he's been eating Hills w/d wet food with some pumpkin. As of this morning, we refuse to eat it, he ate very little this morning and wouldn't touch it this evening. Instead, he happily ate Hill's w/d dry food, the recommended portion of his weight. Everything else with him is normal (activity, drinks water, plays, stool). Couple nights ago, he ate his wet w/d but throw up a small portion of it, maybe 10%, but was fine otherwise.

Is this unusual? Or concern worthy? The vet nurse I spoke to mentioned our pets can do things like this from time to time.

Thanks,
          D

Comment

Pancreatitis is a complication that does show up in diabetic dogs . maybe give a few days to see if its just a little upset belly . If symptoms do deteriorate a vet visit maybe needed

5 years is a very good accomplishment and congrats
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

As our diabetic got older, he would reject a food he’d been eating happliy for a long time. I think it’s pretty common in older dogs.

Comment

It was with great sadness that I write today, our beloved Tee has passed away. We had an amazing run, he lived close to 14 years, 5 plus as a diabetic. We're all deeply saddened by his loss.

I wanted to use this opportunity to sincerely thank each and every one of you that helped us navigate through his illness, without the support and knowledge of you guys, we wouldn't have made it. It is incredible and humbling to know that a random group of people can be soo supportive and helpful.

Our entire family is deeply grateful, THANK YOU! You guys were incredibly instrumental is keeping him with us for as long as we did.

Comment

I am so sorry. RIP Tee. No more shots! xoxo Judi
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

You did such a wonderful job with Tee . Got to live a long happy dogs life with your great care

Comment

So sorry to read about Tee passing. With your help, he lived a long and loving life. Cherish the memories. RIP Tee.
                        Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                        Diabetes: Aug 2013
                        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

• Re: Sweet Tee has passed - January 2019

I'm so sorry to learn of Tee's passing - and apologize for being absent and didn't realize until now that it had happened.

From your first post to the forum back in 2013...

Hello,
                          My dog (7 year old, 18 lbs, mixed breed – Bichon/Yorkie/Poodle) was recently diagnosed with diabetes, blood sugar levels around 450. It’s been quite stressful as he’s absolutely adored by everyone in the family.
                          Obviously he was a cherished member of the family, which is the greatest gift you could give him, followed by five years of managing his diabetes so he could live a normal healthy life.

Sending him a kiss skyward,

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Sweet Tee has passed - January 2019

So sorry to read of Tee's passing. He was well loved.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Working...
                            X