My girl Cleo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My girl Cleo

I always said that God was good to spare 2 elderly folks like us and to choose Buddy as the sick little man as he is taking all the poking and prodding like a good little soldier. You may remember their origin and the shape Buddy was in when we took them out of that nasty puppy mill.

On their first visit to the vet the next day, Cleo was diagnosed with a Level 4 heart murmur and a fracture leg, and of course they both have luxated patellas. X-rays uncovered a fracture and we had to wait until after she was spayed and at 9 months she had a femoral head and neck ostectomy on her left back leg. The operation was a success and after almost a year of regular caging and directed physiotherapy, her leg being a little shorter, she always walked with a little limp and she has been on 500 mg of glucosomine and choindritin since. She also had minor surgery for the removal of a small piece of glass that had lodged deep into her pad.

Sunday, we noticed that she was limping a little (right front leg) and since it was bitterly cold, we though it was a touch of arthritis. We thoroughly examined her paws and found nothing. Monday the limping was a little worst and I started giving her Metacam (5mg). Tuesday was really bad and we picked her up to take her outside, pick her up to and down from the couch and managed to get 10mg of Metacam in. We eliminated the morning walk and Ron came back from the afternoon walk with Cleo in his arms since she was struggling too much.

Inasmuch as Buddy is my cool little dude, Cleo is one spunky little girl but she is a holly terror when she is sick or in pain. Buddy has always been her little protector and he freaks out when we pick her up and take her somewhere as he thinks we are taking his sis away from him. He goes close to her with a <how you doing sis< and she snarls.

Today, she seems better… walks a little better and no longer snarls at Buddy. Of course, our little Madonna gives us the <big brown eyes poor little me< looks but the problem is that she hates the metacam. I tried putting some on a kibble, she spat it out. I tried on some cheese, she ate some of it, spat out the rest. One that worked was metacam on her green pepper but only 1 piece. Those twice daily walks are the highlight of their day and we tried a small walk this morning. She was all excited when we put their coats on but, it is back to being bitterly cold and she really wasn’t into it so they were back within 5 minutes.

We think it is either a bad jump off the couch or because she realizes that Buddy is feeling so much better, she has been ambushing him a lot more and running and playing with him.

Is metacam as effective if given in small dosages like we are managing to do with our princess? As opposed to the full 10mg at once. Also I understand that Omega 3 is an anti-inflammatory so I added 1000mg of Omega 3 to her food this morning.

Any suggestion as to what else I should/could be doing? Why is it that I can’t make my posts shorter? Geeez

Louise

Re: Now it's Cleo

I assume you're using the liquid? I believe Metacam comes in tablet form - not sure whether the dosing you would need is readily available.

If she's injured herself, I would rest her for a while - three or four days at least, maybe longer. So not even try to walk her and would lift her up anywhere she needs to go, limit her walking, no rough playing. See if after a day or two of rest she is feeling better.

I know you can't explain it to her, but a week of rest might actually be more palatable to her than a week of Metacam.

Sometimes you can get by with a stroller walk if you could put her into something that would keep her inside. She'd still get the sights and smells but not the wear and tear on a potential injury.

She should see the vet to determine what might be going on with her. And they might be able to give her something like Tramadol... has she taken that before?

Chris couldn't tolerate Tramadol and we haven't used it with Jack because of a potential interaction with his Prozac but it is a pretty good pain reliever... depends on how much you think she's in pain and how much you think she might need anti-inflammatory properties of something like Metacam or the others like Rimadyl.

Maybe Metacam pills if available would be the first thing to look into.

Natalie

Comment

Tks Natalie.

I'll give her today and by tomorrow if she is not showing any more signs of improvement, I'll call the vet and ask about the Metacam (in pills) or tramadol.

We'll omit the walk for Cleo.... oh that should be fun when she sees Buddy leaving with daddy (cause Buddy needs his walks to keep his numbers good).

Louise

Comment

Thanks a bunch Natalie

I didn't want to wait and I just got back from the vet's office to get the Metacam tablets.

They are 1.0mg and he suggested that I start with half the dosage and see how she does on it. If there is no improvement, give her the full tablet.

She has licked her paw so much from the pain that now there is irritation and it looks a little angry so I just cleaned it with saline water and sprayed with Zymox anti bacterial spray.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Your quick reply and tip both greatly appreciated.

Louise

Comment

I don't have anything to add Louise. But hope Cleo is feeling better soon!
          -Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Tks Patty.

The princess is going to be carried around in our arms for a few days and let me tell you, she is just going to lap it all up Maybe the tablets are more effective because she is sleeping soundly now and has stop going after her paw.

Louise

Comment

Originally posted by buddingartist View Post
              ... of course they both have luxated patellas.

Louise
              Just wondering (and because I don't remember), are Cleo and Buddy Yorkies? I'm sure they are small because of your comment.

Izzy is my first Yorkie.

Mary
              Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
              Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
              Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
              Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Hi Mary

They are westies (west highland white terriers).

Louise

Comment

Westies are the cutest things; I was tempted to rescue one of them. Do they have similar issues as Yorkies, which also tend to have luxated patellas?

Mary
                  Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                  Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                  Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                  Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Hi Mary

Westies are an adorable breed and we love them so much and never once regretted taking them out of that nasty puppy mill.

As for the luxated patella, I really can't confirm that and I would suspect that in Buddy and Cleo's case, it was more like the questionable and unethical breeding. When we saw the mother, she was filthy, could hardly walk and didn't look healthy at all. Don't you love those backyard breeders

Only once, did we have to rush Buddy to the vet about the patella. During their walk, his little leg just locked sideways and he was in agonizing pain. When we moved here, Ron would take them for a long walk on the beach every Sunday after the tourists left and sometimes, they would limp a little (mostly Cleo) but I think it was more from her surgery than the luxated patella, but keep in mind that they are now 10+.

I must that Izzie is one cute little thing and she has nothing to envy from the westies from the way you describe her and the behavious she is displaying. Considering all the homes that she has been in, I think she is pretty good

Louise

Comment

I thought I'd provide an update on Cleo.

I followed Natalie's suggestion and got the Metacam tablets immediately and what a difference. I started with 1/2 tablet and she showed some improvement but not enough so I gave her the full tablet, and that for 2 days. Of course, we would pick her up to let her off the couch, or to the backyard for her business. The tablets are a lot more expensive but I will not use the liquid anymore. She is back to normal although she still won't jump in the house from the sunroom and we still have to pick her up. I can live with that as she doesn't seem to be in any pain.

What caused the biggest problem was that she was in so much pain that she was incessant and kept licking and litterally gnawing at her paw and I suspect she bit into her paw and left a big sore. That took a few days of cleaning, disinfecting and treating and we kept the booty on for 2 days. The princess was not happy about that.

We did however witness the most of precious moment. Cleo was carried to the backyard and since she is not used to this, she would just sit there and not know what to do. My darling little man Buddy realized something was different and would just go out and sit right next to her and wait until she moved.

Buddy has always been her little protector and she goes to him for comfort a lot... she also ambushes him and sometimes harasses the crap out of him and even sick and blind, Buddy still is the little protector.

It was absolutely so very very sweet to watch. Yep, I'm a big suck when it comes to my babies.

Louise

Comment

I'm glad she's feeling better even if she's a bit confused.

Jack is a dog of habit so much that it starts to feel almost like a ritual and he doesn't like it when his rituals are upended! We started a habit of letting him hunt for treats in the bedroom right before bed - 6 or 7 stashed in hiding places all over the room and he has to hunt them out. Well, now he won't go to bed until he gets to do his cookie hunt.

What a good friend Buddy is!

Natalie

Comment

Awe that's sooo sweet Louise
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Louise,

How lovely two wee pals that truly love each other

Hugs

Margaret
                            Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Jack is no fool. You want me to go to sleep mommy, then pay up. But can he count?

I know we have to pay up with treats for a lot of little events.....after our meals (for not begging), after their bath (for letting us get them wet), after their walk (cause you owe us) etc. etc.

Louise

Comment

Working...
                              X