Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

Always the lip -99% results
    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

I am thinking I need a new Vet. I called this morning to touch base about my dog's weekend and I once again asked if I can use a glucose meter to check her levels myself and they once again said no, it will not give me accurate readings.

Comment

So far elbow callouses.
        Ben wgt. 45 lbs. Puggle diagnosed 1/15/14 Hills Science Diet W/D with smaller topper of wet Novalin-N 13 units b.i.d.

Comment

Ginnie has very small thin elbow callouses, but that is where I stick without devise. I am using the Embrace meter and am taking it to the vet with us today to see how it compares. The vet uses Lifetouch. We are having our first curve done today.
          Connie

Ginnie: ACD/Red Heeler 11 yo, Dx: May 2014. Novolin N, Relion Prime meter Food: Pure Basics Chicken,Veggies and Brown Rice(1 can) + 1 cup Pure Basics dry twice daily.

Comment

I test my Lab on her elbow patch with the Alpha Trak 2 lancet. I can test her lip too but she hates it. She doesn't even move when I test her elbow.
            Mia spayed Labrador--Diagnosed 1/20/14, passed away 7/9/15 at age 11.5 from complications of Laryngeal Paralysis. Diabetic, GI issues, Laryngeal Paralysis. She was the sweetest dog in the world.

Comment

I just ask Sammie to sit and she allows me to use a pen lancet to poke the inside of her right lip. Amazingly simple!
              Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

I always test under Gigi's lip and use an Alpha Trak.
                Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

Vinny allows us to test his lip. We switch sides so one side doesn't get too sore. We use an AlphaTrak2.
                  Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Re: Poll: How and Where You Test Your Dog's Blood Sugar

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post

Where you test on your dog
                    Lances used (brand, gauge)
                    Whether you use a lancing device
                    Lancing device brand, model
                    Setting of the lancing device
                    Meter you use
                    Ginnie has very thin elbow callouses which work well for testing. I use Relion 31 gauge lancet in Easy Mini auto device set on 5. We are currently using a Relion Prime meter as this is all we have. I know it's not a good meter, but will alert me to highs and lows so I can get an idea of what is going on. I intend to get One Touch meter as soon as I can do it financially.
                    Connie

Ginnie: ACD/Red Heeler 11 yo, Dx: May 2014. Novolin N, Relion Prime meter Food: Pure Basics Chicken,Veggies and Brown Rice(1 can) + 1 cup Pure Basics dry twice daily.

Comment

Alpha Trak 2 meter, Freestyle Lite test strips (Alpha Trak 2 test strips for curves), carpal pad.

Comment

One touch Verio (Australia) with one touch strips. Base of the tail, clipped
                        Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

Time to find a new vet. That was one of the first questions from my vet when Skipper was diagnosed. "Do you want to test at home? We use AlphaTrak 2 and here is how we do it", etc.

I test the inside of the ear. Vet clipped the hairs for me.
                          Skipper the Schipperke, 8 yrs old | 17#, diagnosed May 17, 2014 | Insulin Novolin N | Food; W/D dry w/minced chicken in mornings, W/D dry at night w/chicken broth | BG meter; AT2

Comment

Alpha trak 2, inside of lip, freestyle lite strips
                            Julie- 2 mini-schnauzers, Ollie 12 yrs: IMHA (10/2011) ITP, diabetes diagnosed 3/12 (drug induced), blind 4/1, VERY successful cataract surgery 5/12, 2x 7 units NPH, semi-regulated, eats Zeal from HK with brown rice added

Comment

Hi all!

I'm new here, and new to diabetes, and this is my first post. Josie is a 28# 9 year old female Cocker Spaniel and we are about a month in to managing this disease.

Her Royal Highness, Madame Josephine Queen Of All She Surveys won't allow a lot of poking and prodding...except ONE spot. Under her lip is near effortless for testing, and injections are easy between her shoulders under the skin. As long as she doesn't get "fed up" with sore lips, we're golden.

Her numbers are all over the place. Last night she hit 76 whatchamacallits. YIKES! This morning before breakfast 486 (calculated for canine)

I'm still trying to establish some semblance of a "curve" instead of a bunch of whackadoodle points on a graph that looks like a "dot to dot" drawing after a darts match.

Wish us luck!
                              Stan

Relion Prime Under Upper Lip several times per day (readings divided by .7)
                              Novolin N NPH Human (12-14 units)
                              Last edited by Josie Cocker; 09-03-2014, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Re: Poll: How and Where You Test Your Dog's Blood Sugar

Hi, new to this forum, my Jack Russell 11 yrs just got diagnosed with diabetes... We are still this first week muddling thru the home testing with a device we got ..true touch it's fir humans but my vet said it works same..having a hard time getting blood thru ear..which is the ONLY place Jujube..will allow is to try...we have to do it several times...surrounding him with toys and distracting him...he is not sleeping at nite, and is very restless..last week he was at 385 and now after a week of 9mg shots he us at 157 so it's going down, but now he has no appetite and we have to really work on finding foods he likes...baby food has been successful, I am hoping he gets better soon ...and this is how it is in the beginning adjustment period...any advice or comments would be appreciate..like I said we are really stressed during this whole thing ..not wanting to make any mistakes with jujube..thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X