Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lily - My English Setter - Diabetis and Hypothyroidism

Hi All,

I've noticed a couple of recent posts mentioning possible insulin resistance caused by hypothyroidism.

Here are a couple of articles that helped me consider hypothyroidism as the cause of Lily's insulin resistance. Some of it is kind of technical.

The second link is a question and answer with Dr. Dodds.

http://endocrinevet.blogspot.com/201...esistance.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/tailsof...e_in_dogs.html

Ignore the pop-up ads.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeMurphy; 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM.
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

She's a beautiful dog and lucky to have such a great owner

Comment

Re: Lily Update

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say how great this site is! I login every day and always learn something new.

A lot has happened with Lily over the last few weeks. Lily has a new primary vet who is very caring and very knowledgable concerning diabetes and thyroid issues. At our first visit she drew blood for a follow-up full thyroid profile. The results came back and all her tests were normal. The new vet forwards everything to Lily's IMS.

Every time I do BG curve, I email the readings and graph to her new vet.

Now that her BG levels and thyroid issues have been regulated, we have been considering whether she should have cataract surgery. Her IMS and new vet both recommended the same eye vet, so Lily had her initial visit with the Eye vet last week to see if she is a candidate for surgery. Her eyes were a little inflamed from the rapid development of cataracts, so the eye vet put her on two different eye drops.

We just returned from a second visit to the eye vet and everything looked good. Lily is scheduled for cataract surgery on February 20. One of the eye drops has a steroid in it, so I'll have to watch her BG level for any changes.

Here's a couple of pictures taken today. It's zero degrees out there. The snow does not want to stop. We had another foot yesterday.

Mike and Lily
        Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike!
          A late welcome from Vinny and I!! Lily is an absolute beauty! I've only seen red setter's, I never knew there was anything different!!

I had a dog several years ago that had hypothyroidism and it wasn't until we took him to Purdue for an evaluation that we found this out. I can relate to how hard it is to get it right. This same dog had a torn patella tendon and surgery for it when he was about 2 and lymphoma later in life. Until Vinny was diagnosed with diabetes, Ollie was the one who was considered 'our most expensive dog'. Now Vinny is looking like he'll beat that between all the things he chewed up early on and now the vet bills and insulin! Sounds like you can relate with Lily! Don't we love our pets!!?? She is very fortunate to have such an advocate in you.
          Mel
          Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

great update

glad lily is a candidate for surgery and glad you got her in there to take care of the inflammation those are things to keep am eye on .
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh is she pretty!
              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Someone else whose snow comes in feet - so (or snow) much fun - LOL! I swear between delays, snow days, vacation days, half days, etc.. my child has not had a full week of school since some time in October. Our district used their fourth of five snow days yesterday.

Lily looks great - her tail is recovering nicely - and her coat is filling in beautifully! Sounds like all in all she is doing well and that you have a great support system set up for her. Keep up the good work!
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

She is so pretty! Maggie had cataract surgery and it went well but there can be complications so there are no guarantees. Their eyes look really rough after surgery - lots of redness for quite some time and the eye drop regimen is crazy but it is doable.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

what a beautiful girl! please keep us posted on how her surgery goes. I know craig has mentioned that the steroid eye drops did affect his Annie's blood sugar so I'm glad you are watching. Judi
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

She is absolutely beautiful and so glad that she is doing well. I see that her coat has come in quite nicely. Good luck with the surgery in a few weeks.

Barb
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

She is gorgeous. My dog had cataract surgery; no issues; lots and lots of drops! that did raise his BGs. His eyes looked normal the day after with the exception of a bit of squinting that he was doing. The doctors will give you all the watch outs! I'd do it again if presented with the issue. Good luck
                        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Gorgeous coloring! Good luck with surgery and keep us posted. Sounds like you have a collaborative vet which helps so very much!
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Re: Lily - Update

Lily's eye vet and many on this forum have suggested to keep an eye on her BG levels because of the eye drops that she is getting in preparation for cataract surgery.

Since Lily has been on the eye drops, I have been checking her levels every other day around six hours after her morning insulin shot. This is when her readings are lowest. Up until Friday the levels ranged from 105 to 142. Then on Friday it was 363, so I did a curve today.

The results are about 100 over her normal readings for each time interval.

I have to pick up her thyroid meds at the vet on Monday, so I'll run this by her. My guess is that we may have to increase her insulin by one unit and see what happens.

Mike and Lily
                            Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-26-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I had to increase Forbin a few units as well
                              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE that photo of her on the couch!!

Comment

Working...
                                X