Angel Mochi December 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help with Mochi

Did your vet have to prescribe the zymox for you?
    No, no rx. I looked for the cortisone free at all the pet stores and they only carried the one with cortisone, so I ordered off of Chewy.com. It came in 2 days.

https://www.chewy.com/zymox-otic-pet...thout/dp/54792
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

With jesses not so good experience when this experience began with diabetes we mostly stayed away from the vet and found natural ways to take care of her problems . We stopped looking for a solution to every problem and let time , the body and some natural processes to take care of difficulties . With the thought of immune problems from the disease i worried to even go to a place where jesse could catch something . Stayed away from vaccines ( yes i guess you can call her a fugitive )

I thought constant intervention may have a negative affect on repeated medical processes . Now i maybe in the extreme minority on this point . In jesses situation this approach did succeed especially with the management of the diabetes exclusively done by me

Now i am not saying to give up on going to the vet. They provide a very important service . Jesse would not be here without it but the financial cost was very high to accomplish that with no guarantees in jesses situation . Things worked out well in the end for her and all dogs care have there own unique situation

the good thing today we have the internet . we can research and determine what maybe the best direction to go . We can listen to the vet but we dont have to act on there recommendation and for me i would not give jesse anything until i researched how it will affect the body
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I’m not sure what to do right now..haven’t been able to sleep at all thinking about it.

I definitely feel like Mochi needs a different type of drops now to help him get his hearing back..maybe I’ll ask about the Zymox.

Carol I suspect he might have hypothyroid. He isn’t missing hair only a small patch in the front of his ear. I don’t think he has cushings.

I am super worried about his hearing right now ...
        Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
        Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
        Had cataract surgery June 2016.
        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

if it's allergies see if apoquel would help vs an ear drop

my dog suddenly lost her hearing and the vet techs told me sometimes that happens. I asked if it could be an ear infection, they were positive it wasn't. Lo & behold she took 30 days of antibiotics after a tooth extraction and a little bit of her hearing came back

I'd be leery of the drops too. I know there were some drops for ear infections that a lot of people had problems with
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Try the Zymox solution, with the hydrocortisone to relieve itchiness / pain, ... you won't be disappointed. My Otis used to get very regular ear infections, almost monthly, until I changed our M.O.. I would clean his ears weekly with a solution of 2/3 white vinegar, 1/3 alcohol, and use the Zymox at the first sign of any ear issues.

Using that routine, Otis had no more ear infections. Quite an improvement from the regular problems we were having. Worked for us. Was spending a fortune with his vet on the ear issues before we started our ear routine.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I’m not sure what to do right now..haven’t been able to sleep at all thinking about it.

I definitely feel like Mochi needs a different type of drops now to help him get his hearing back..maybe I’ll ask about the Zymox.

Carol I suspect he might have hypothyroid. He isn’t missing hair only a small patch in the front of his ear. I don’t think he has cushings.

I am super worried about his hearing right now ...
              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Thank you everyone for the input.

I took Mochi to a emergency vet and it took about an hour there..I was telling them about how I don’t trust surolan and that my vet seemed to have prescribed my other dog with the same ear drops and caused him to go deaf...

He took that into consideration and I asked about zymox but no one knew about those ear drops. He gave me an alternative and prescribed me with a ear drop called Osurnia which they put one once and it stays in there for a week. I’m hoping that this medication will be better and work.. has any of you heard of osurnia? It supposedly also contains steroids but he said most eardrops for ear infections all have steroids. He also prescribed Mochi with some anti inflammatory medication that I don’t want to give him..I don’t really want him to take anymore medication especially when his body is not that strong.

Has any of you given your dogs anti-inflammatory as well? Is it safe to give it to him? My vet also gave me a call back and told me that because his ear canals are so swollen putting those meds in there will probably cause his hearing to be really limited like he’s wearing earplugs. I hope the medication works and doesn’t cause harm since it has steroids in it..I couldn’t get away from steroids after all...
                On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I had a similar problem when i used an ear wax removal solution . It cause my ears to clog up like the vet said like putting ear plugs in your ears . It cleared after a day or 2

Zymox i believe has non prescription products

Like bill did with otis i use more of a home type remedy and followed some of the same things he talked about
                  Last edited by jesse girl; 04-15-2018, 02:38 PM.
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I hope his hearing comes back within a couple days..it’s definitely very bad right now and he can only hear me when I scream at the top of my lungs.

It’s hard to tell with his ears because he didn’t show any signs of ear problems til a week ago but my vet said looking at the inside of his ear it seems like it’s been an on going situation and his allergy medication was surpressing it and that’s why he didn’t show any problems. So it must be really bad now for him to show signs...

Because this medication has a steroid in it will it cause problems with his blood sugars? I’m scared..and having an anxiety attack because I keep asking “what if’s”.

I really don’t know what to do...I didn’t want to give him any of that medication but both the vets (today’s and my own) suggested the same thing. That his ear canals are really swollen and he needs this medication.
                    Last edited by Lchow022; 04-15-2018, 04:28 PM.
                    On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

The steroid may cause a temporary blood sugar issue as steroids tend to do that. But, many diabetic dogs do take them on a regular basis for other issues.

Maggie had an anti-inflammatory she would take and pain meds as needed. I would not deny her anything to help with pain. As much as she had to suffer through, I always felt that I would not let her be in pain if it could be avoided. I wouldn’t deny meds that could give relief.

Some meds are useful and necessary and many are only temporary so they shouldn’t have long term effects. Having a decent quality of life is preferable than just having life.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you for that Amy I definitely rather have his ears healed and have him not in pain. He is not in pain though but the doctor just prescribed it just Incase. I just really hope the steroid drops won’t cause too much of a spike in his sugar..

Osurnia is a 1ml one time drop that stays in his ear for a good 7 days..then they recommend having the second dose after 7days or it won’t fully be effective.

I’m just mostly concerned about his hearing..my vet suspected this ear issue to have been going on for quite some time except it slowly progressed.
                        He said he will do the thyroid panel in a couple weeks if things don’t change.

I’m just praying for things to get back on track and things get better because my other dog is having heart issues too..I’m getting very overwhelmed and money is starting to be a big issue...
                        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Mochi's triglycerides

Hi everyone I would love it if you can give me some input on his triglyceride levels and let me know if these numbers are good since I don't know the conversion to MG because I live in Canada....

Mochi has been on his new low fat diet since being diagnosed with very high triglycerides. He was up at 20 a couple months ago. I've been giving him omega 3 supplements with it. I took him in to get another triglycerides test last week and my vet called me back letting me know it has dropped tremendously down to 6 now. But he said it is still a bit high and he's hoping for the numbers to keep dropping. Now my concern is could he have hypothyroid still? I don't know how the numbers work and I'm not sure if I should be asking my vet about it.
                          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Re: Mochi's triglycerides

Multiply the mmol by 88.57 to get mg/dl.

This link has a converter for many lab results.

https://www.vin.com/calculators/ChemConvCalc.htm

And your vet should be telling you what normal range is. My vet tells me normal range for every lab result she shares. How else do you have a frame of reference.

As for normal range, websites show slightly different reference ranges, but below 150 mg/dl (1.7 mmol) seems normal. The fact your dog has come way down should mean she can continue. Give it a little more time I'd say.
                            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

• Hypo at night....

I did a small curve on mochi after I got off work..at 2:30pm he was at 83..i was a little concerned because it was quite low but I just waited to see how he was and tested him again right before dinner and insulin at 5:30pm. He was up at 215 but I’m not sure if it was correct because it might’ve mixed in with a bit of water. Two hours after insulin he was at 60!..I started to panic and give him just a couple kibbles. Two hours after I tested again and it was still at 60 so I gave him a bit more chicken and kibbles..about 5 or 6 kibbles and a tiny piece of chicken breast. I tested again at 10:30pm(1 hour later) and he was at 40...it just keeps dropping and dropping..I gave him even more food..about a handful..it did not go up and instead at 12am it was beeping “Lo”. That’s when I panicked..called an emergency and didn’t know if I should give the honey. Last time I gave honey he spiked up to 700... but I had to because the reading on the monitor kept going “Lo”...my heart was pounding out of my chest. So I around 1am I tested again and it seemed to have gone back up to 190. I just know it’s going to keep going up and I only gave him a little tiny dab of honey.

I don’t know what I should do now..should I give him less insulin??? I feel like my soul has left my body..what’s worse is I think he definitely has hypothyroid or something because I found a patch of hair missing on his back.... This nightmare just keeps going..
                              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

• Re: Hypo at night....

If his BG drops below 70, it’s best to intervene immediately with something really sweet, like Karo Syrup or honey.

Glad you were able to get him out of danger.

And yes, you should definitely reduce his insulin and do some extra BG testing to make sure he stays in a safe zone.

I think you mentioned earlier that his triglycerides have come down significantly. This may be the reason that he needs less insulin.
                                Last edited by MikeMurphy; 05-19-2018, 03:43 AM.
                                Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                                Diabetes: Aug 2013
                                Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                                Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Working...
                                X