Bored, blood test!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored, blood test!

I was bored and was thinking about many of you who test your pups on their lip. I was wondering if saliva made a big difference, so I made an unscientific test on myself!

Poked my finger (sorry, didn't stick MY lip) and my reading was 121 (about two hours after a good breakfast)

Then spit on my finger(!) and reloaded a new test strip. The blood / spit mix read 45.

Wonder how much dog saliva is mixed in with the dog lip test. I know you wipe the lip before testing, but I would think saliva forms in just a few seconds?

Thoughts, besides that I need to get a better hobby!
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Re: Bored, blood test!

you need a new hobby! At least Annie was spared!

This is one of my vet's arguments for having all curves done at his office since I use the lip.

I can tell if her blood gets runny from saliva. It usually doesn't, it usually beads right up.
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

LOL, your experiments crack me up Craig.

I always wiped Ali's lip with a slightly damp paper towel before testing and I don't let it go. The saliva pools from the glands inside the mouth so it's not getting wet again right away since I'm holding it up.

Also ran A LOT of comparisons with the vet's lab machine as well as send out blood work. My degree of variability/consistency was good.

I also always tested her Right lip before they drew blood and recorded where they drew the blood from (R vs L, leg vs jugular - I'm anal retentive that way). Then compared any other variables based on that.

Will have to pull out the comparisons and post here sometime. Gotta get the bills finished today
      Last edited by Patty; 11-13-2012, 02:08 PM.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

well craig your going to have to test your lip im sorry its the only way
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

WOW, you were bored, weren't you?

I agree if the blood gets saliva mixed with it, usually a lower bg. But it's completely possible to get a dark red bead and quickly apply the test strip if you practice. Let us know your results after you test on your lip!

Comment

BTW, I couldn't reply to the article you posted about Mini Schnauzers but it was great! I'm going to forward it to my vet if that's ok!

Comment

OK everyone, I've decided not to test on my lip! Linda thought I was "loosing it" when she saw me spitting on my finger and would have me committed if she saw me poking my lip in front of the mirror!
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
              X