Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Diggydog

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ALFIE

Many, many more for you, St. Patrick's Day pooch!.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 AM

Happy Birthday Alfie. May he have many, many more wonderful, food filled, purse stealing days.

Barb
Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 AM

Wooohooo! Happy birthday, Alfie! What a wonderful thing! Yay!!!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Happy birthday Alfie boy!! I expect you to have a big 13th birthday teenager-now bash in 2016!!

Natalie
Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 PM

Belated Happy Birthday Alphie! I hope you have a great year and may you celebrate many more birthdays
Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim
Old 06-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Default Is it time for Wee dude Alfie???

Can't believe I am posting this. I always figured I would 'know' when it's time but am really struggling just now. Alfie has been diabetic for almost 7 years and never been regulated just managed as best I can. He has usually been ok as much as an unregulated diabetic can be but recently he has gone downhill. He still eats really well but completely refuses to walk and has started to frequently urinate while lying in his bed without moving so just pees all over himself then lies in it which is a major concern. No UTU or any indication that it's his bg causing any issue. Any time I try to take him out walking he point blank refuses as he appears too scared to move. I have recently changed jobs and he is so distressed at me leaving he is working himself into such a frenzy he is vomiting. I have tried to have him looked after by a very close friend and despite him liking her more than me he is just not coping.
I always thought I would make this decision based on him being in any pain but I figured that would b physical pain and not what I think is the emotional pain he is in just now. Really struggling to know if emotional pain felt by a dog is real or just in my head or if leaving Alfie so distressed everyday is just wrong?!?!
I think in my heart I know but scared if I go though with it I am going to regret it and never get over the 'what ifs'
I know at the end of the day it's a decision only I can make but would really like any input for everyone on making this decision?!?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Is it time for Wee dude Alfie???

I am very sorry to hear this Allison... If it was me, I would certainly consider the issues like urinating on himself and seeming agitated and not himself as valid reasons to consider letting him go. It's all about quality of life and that covers a lot of ground, much of it emotional.

When Chris started bleeding internally from cancer, he wasn't in pain, just very lethargic and tired. But he also couldn't walk to take himself out to go to the bathroom and that was really traumatic for him.

It was easier for us because we knew he had cancer and wasn't going to get better... but it really was his panic about not being able to take himself out to potty that told us it was time.

Natalie
Old 06-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I don't think I will merge your threads unless you want me to, at least not right now. But I wanted to bring Alfie's thread up to the top.

Natalie
Old 06-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Is it time for Wee dude Alfie???

You may have seen this already.

http://aplb.org/resources/quality-of-life_scale.php\
Old 06-05-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
I don't think I will merge your threads unless you want me to, at least not right now. But I wanted to bring Alfie's thread up to the top.

Natalie
Thanks Natalie. I think for now it's best to not merge them. It's easy to get caught up in too much info and that's not what we r going through just now xx

Last edited by diggydog; 06-05-2015 at 03:32 PM.