Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Help I'm reading the boards..

Thank you everyone.

Craig I see that you use Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight I was thinking about that before I learned she was a diabetic. Blue is good for diabetes?

The vet didn't tell me about Walmart, but thank goodness the vet tech did as I was walking out the door. So I did go there, I believe I bought the wrong needles.. I bought the "short" now I wish I bought the long. While I was at Walmart I did buy all the home testing equipment but I am having a hard time getting blood.

My girl freaks out to even having her nails cut.( she hates for you to even touch her pads before all of this )so this is a whole new world for us.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Thank you everyone.

Craig I see that you use Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight I was thinking about that before I learned she was a diabetic. Blue is good for diabetes?

The vet didn't tell me about Walmart, but thank goodness the vet tech did as I was walking out the door. So I did go there, I believe I bought the wrong needles.. I bought the "short" now I wish I bought the long. While I was at Walmart I did buy all the home testing equipment but I am having a hard time getting blood.

My girl freaks out to even having her nails cut.( she hates for you to even touch her pads before all of this )so this is a whole new world for us.
As I mentioned, we all have our own thoughts. Food is something brings out hundreds of suggestions! I don't really remember why I selected Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight (the dry kibble), but I'm guessing it was because of the fiber content.

The trick to blood testing is to make it fun. Annie loves to play ball, so she knows when I say "test time", she should bring a ball to the kitchen where we test and I'll throw her ball a few times after her blood test. Play, hugs, talking to her during the test makes her cooperate. Some give a tiny diabetic friendly treat, like a green bean, as an after test treat. Of course the pup picks-up on our nervousness, so we need to keep testing upbeat! I talk, hum or sing to Annie while poking to keep me calm.

What size lancets did you get? Most humans like the very thin 30-33 gauge, but they may be too thin for some dogs skin. I use the slightly thicker 26 or 25 gauge lancets. Testing takes practice. I was a nightmare the first several weeks, but then things just got much easier. Good luck!

Craig
Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 PM

Syringe needle length is personal preference. I like the short ones, but Annie is a small dog. In the beginning we used the long needles, but changed to the short ones after a year or so. No harm in experimenting.

Now that you are a member, would you like a moderator to change the title of your thread from "Help I'm reading the boards" to something more personal like "Roxy the Boxer"? Just post what you would like and one of us will change it for you.

Love Boxers! My son has a 3 year old Boxer and he is a real clown (Cooper the Boxer, not my son)

Craig
Old 01-24-2016, 04:39 PM

My suggestion to you would be change vets quickly! You are going to have a long relationship with the vet after diabetes and other issues that arise because of it, you need to have a vet you trust and have faith in and this one definitely doesn't fit. Also most vets will sell prescription pet food because they make money off of it, I also feed my dog blue buffalo and he does fine on it.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Syringe needle length is personal preference. I like the short ones, but Annie is a small dog. In the beginning we used the long needles, but changed to the short ones after a year or so. No harm in experimenting.

Now that you are a member, would you like a moderator to change the title of your thread from "Help I'm reading the boards" to something more personal like "Roxy the Boxer"? Just post what you would like and one of us will change it for you.

Love Boxers! My son has a 3 year old Boxer and he is a real clown (Cooper the Boxer, not my son)

Craig

Yes that would be perfect... That is exactly what we call her!!!!!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdamurph View Post
My suggestion to you would be change vets quickly! You are going to have a long relationship with the vet after diabetes and other issues that arise because of it, you need to have a vet you trust and have faith in and this one definitely doesn't fit. Also most vets will sell prescription pet food because they make money off of it, I also feed my dog blue buffalo and he does fine on it.

Thank you I have been reading up on blue. I've been reading non stop since Saturday.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Roxy the Boxer

Changed the thread title

Craig
Old 01-25-2016, 03:58 AM

Hi and belated welcome! I had a few questions as well - when you say she was sick yesterday, was it just yesterday or has she been sick for several days? Is it vomiting? Was it with the food change or did it start before? With her not eating well, I would be careful with insulin until she is eating but the insulin amount she started on is pretty low for her size, I think it may not be as dangerous if you were actually giving a full starting dose, which for her would be 15 units. Another aspect of wd is the fiber which is designed for maintaining or losing weight. She has lost so much weight - was she overweight at 100 lbs?

Maggie was on Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight for some time but I was not happy with her digestive issues on it - she had pancreatitis and would still be upset occasionally so I found something I liked better. But, she was regulated well on it.

Let us know how the curve goes - make sure and ask for any results and feel free to post the numbers here.

Amy
Old 01-25-2016, 09:00 AM

Just a little update. I ended up dropping her back off at the same vet. None of the other vets could take her today. So I didn't feed her or give her any shots this morning like they asked.

They told me on Saturday ( the first day I took her in her numbers were 537) When they tested her this morning her numbers are 617 !! She doctor also told me that she won't eat. That makes sense because when we would board her she would not eat also. I don';t understand how they can give her insulin if she is not eating.

They are testing her every hour. As far as the ketone numbers they said she has not been able to pee for them yet.

Last edited by Andrea; 01-25-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Just a little update. I ended up dropping her back off at the same vet. None of the other vets could take her today. So I didn't feed her or give her any shots this morning like they asked.

They told me on Saturday ( the first day I took her in her numbers were 537) When they tested her this morning her numbers are 617 !! She doctor also told me that she won't eat. That makes sense because when we would board her she would not eat also. I don';t understand how they can give her insulin if she is not eating.

They are testing her every hour. As far as the ketone numbers they said she has not been able to pee for them yet.
Yes, in my opinion a curve without a "normal" meal is near worthless. I suppose something can be learned, but it wouldn't be representative of a normal day. Much better to do it at home when everything is as normal as possible.

Craig