Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Hershey

What can I do to put some weight back on Hershey. She looks so sickly and see ribs as if she is starving, but know controlling food with insulin is key. Any advise. Going to try to get her to vet next Tues. for weigh in and curve.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Administrator

At one point, we simply weren't feeding our diabetic dog enough for him to gain weight since the prescription diet was low in calories. If the blood sugar is decent, more food could be needed.

Natalie
Old 03-10-2018, 02:56 PM

Once blood sugars come down, and stay in a better range, the weight will come back, albeit slowly. My dog had lost 4.5 lbs., almost 20% of his normal weight. Eventually he gained it back and is even slightly heavier than he was.
Just be careful with giving more food when the sugars come down, as the weight can come back more than you want, and extra weight affects insulin absorption. The heavier you are, the more insulin you need.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Thank you. I will be careful.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 PM

So yesterday her numbers never got to the 400's. Today was day at vet for curve. I took in my test results with her. After about 45 minutes after we dropped her off the vet called and said as long as I am doing testing that no more curves from them would be needed but dropped her insulin from 20 units to i5. thinks somogyi effect could be in play. a big drop. anything in particular I should be watching for?
Old 03-14-2018, 07:02 AM

When you say never got to the 400's, do you mean from a higher number?
If she stayed higher than 400, not sure an insulin decrease would be needed.

Why did the vet suspect somogyi? That indicates her numbers were too low.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 AM

No her numbers ran:
383 before breakfast and insulin 815am
430 after breakfast/insulin and walk 1125am
340 at 220pm
334 before meal and insulin 6pm
393 at bedtime 10pm
I think perhaps it is for several possible reasons. If you look at the original vet curve numbers I posted it seemed everytime he increased dosage, the glucose increased. Perhaps the other reason is the need to get up almost consistently around 230-3 am for water and pee. Not sure of his reasoning as he did not explain why only what it was (which I knew) and what to decrease it to.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Founding Member

this is the perplexing thing to regulation and i have seen it also where raising the dose sees a deterioration in the numbers driving them higher without any low numbers seen . As you raise the dose the numbers just goes higher and resistance strengthens . This is not text book rebound

So what is occurring . My thought its the bodies reaction to a foreign substance . It may not be fully accepting of injected insulin and as the dose is raised the body reaction increases

Now here is the conundrum . You lower the dose and the resistance is reduced but the numbers remain higher than you like .

This is where a diabetic dog may benefit from a fast or short acting insulin . The curve is fairly flat but you cant break resistance lower . The logic is if you could break the resistance with say an insulin like R into a lower level say in the 200s to begin with and say your dog is on nph so the hope the N insulin would keep that level stable through that 12 hour period

So if you cant break through the resistance either with a higher or lower dose this maybe an option . The advantage with the curve you are seeing is there is no big swings you can identify . You may want to get some tests late at night to make sure there has not been any lower numbers that could cause rebound

just a thought
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM

I totally agree with jesse girlís analysis.

In addition, I can see why your vet wants to drop her insulin to 15 units. The vet was correct in starting Hershey on 17 units because thatís the standard conservative starting dose for an 86 lb dog. (86 x .20) = 17.2. Because her BG has gone up with every methodical increase in insulin, It just may be that Hershey requires less than the normal starting dose. As they say, every dog reacts differently to injected insulin.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 03-14-2018, 01:11 PM

But she is on vetsulin. I will try and get a test done on her early morning run timeframe and see what it shows, but with the recent change from 20units down to 15 just started last night may be hard to tell anything at this point.