Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Paxton's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
You need to get the vet to do thyroid tests, either at least a free T4 test or full panel. If they don't know how to do that, they shouldn't be vets.

Also have them check the lipids and tryglycerides. If those are high, that can cause insulin resistance.

Check this link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20219491
As Raysaint mentioned in the other thread, make sure your vet rules out any concurrent issues like hypothyroidism.

Also take a look at the Troubleshooting section of the 2018 AAHA Diabetes Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats. It’s a little technical, but it should give you a good idea on how the process works...
https://www.aaha.org/guidelines/diab...eshooting.aspx
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 06-25-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:40 AM

Thanks Mike, good article. In reviewing data from my vet, Paxton's triglycerides were out of sight during one recent visit. At the time, she thought Pancreatitis because PSL was also extremely high. His BG during this test was 203 (spot check). Basically the change addressing pancreatitis was a low fat diet, we started feeding him boiled chicken breast with some Hill's dry dog food.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:09 AM

I assume the triglycerides were tested at fasting, not at some time after he ate.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:15 AM

That is a good point on the Triglycerides, it just during a normal day, so he did eat. He had been vomiting, which was why we took him in. I got my Alpha Track 2 yesterday and learned from our vet how to take blood from Paxton's ear. He is fighting our every attempt - he is extremely strong for a 22 lb dog! His BG was over 500 when I was at the vet learning - she got a similar reading on her unit. We finally got a reading at home which was a little better - but still high. Is there a better place than the ear? He also fought the insulin needle for a long time - we finally reached an understanding.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:33 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Does Paxton have any skin tags or bumps? These are great to give blood and not many nerve endings. You can also try the base of the tail, just off to the side. The skin is tough there so you need a thick lancet and you have to shave a spot. Use some of your boiled chicken or the absolute favorite treat every time you handle him. Before long, Maggie hardly noticed testing and actually if I got my kit out, she would come running. Try to make it the happiest thing ever and hide any anxiety you have. It is worse for us than them.

The ear and lip were a no-go for Maggie, but blood is blood so you just have to look for a callous or wart or tag or a less sensitive spot.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:52 AM

Have your vet do a proper test for high triglycerides. The dog needs blood taken first thing in the morning before he eats; fasting bloodwork.

Fasting bloodwork is what any doctor wants from a diabetic. Food skews everything.

I've used my dog's ear exclusively. I tried on either side of the base of the tail, had a bit of success. Shave a spot, and use a thicker lancet. It can work there.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Last edited by Raysaint; 06-28-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:11 PM

A lot of us here test our dogs on the inside of the upper lip. There’s plenty of blood available there and it doesn’t hurt them at all.

Something you might want to try first is to get him used to your touching his mouth with your fingers and then try rolling up his lip. After getting him used to fiddling with his lip, then you can try using the lancing device.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 PM

Thanks Mike. I've been looking there - he doesn't like it yet. He also has some black spots inside his mouth (the have always been there), so I might not be able to see the blood. I'll keep trying.