Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Update on Shadow

Jayne,

I was just thinking about Shadow, as I was perusing the Col. Potter's site. I would love to take every one of those Cairn's home with me.

Happy Birthday to Shadow.... Happy Sugaranniversary as well.

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
      Jayne,

I was just thinking about Shadow, as I was perusing the Col. Potter's site. I would love to take every one of those Cairn's home with me.

Happy Birthday to Shadow.... Happy Sugaranniversary as well.

Barb
      Thank you so much

I love seeing all the cairns that are posted on Col. Potters FB page that find forever homes! Honestly, I too could take each and everyone of them myself...LOL...

Comment

Happy Birthday/Anniversary/Sugarversary to Shadow!!!
        Wishing you all many more
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Happy anniversary Shadow- all great and wonderful milestones
          Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY and HAPPY SUGARVERSARY to you and Shawdow!!
            Feels good huh??!!

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by SandyL View Post
              A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY and HAPPY SUGARVERSARY to you and Shawdow!!
              Feels good huh??!!

Sandy
              Yes it does! And thanks!

Comment

Happeh happeh happeh!

Zoe has a birthday coming up in a few days and she deserves some attention. This is a good reminder that she needs a Zoe appreciation day.
                Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Happy Birthday to Zoe..hope she enjoys her day!

Comment

Thanks! Same to Shadow!
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Haven't been around much, life is always quite hectic around here...hope everyone is doing well, Shadow is hanging in there...turned 11 in January. The diabetes seems minor at times compared to the still anxiety attached to storms at this time of year and of course fireworks that are starting up.

We have him on Prozac now, and honestly, like the other meds we've experimented with, he can still override what we give him when the storm starts. I'm usually up with him for a couple hours if it storms at night before he settles down...makes for a tired me the next day

I'm going to have the vet wean him off the Prozac in the fall....I'm at a loss for what else to try....I think it is a lost cause trying to keep him calm during storms.

Comment

Jayne it's good to hear from you! I just was talking to someone who said the only thing that helps his dogs during storms is to take them for a car ride. With music. That could be a lot of car time but I wonder if it would work?

Judi
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

that has been a problem with jesse also all her life .we dont have allot of storms but sonic booms . this was a larger problem with her epilepsy and can cause seizures .

i made a campaign of rewarding with food (the forbidden fruit) her most loved eatables . i put the diabetes on hold every time a boom came . she received a treat the more the anxiety the larger the reward . if i caught it to long after than she had loss all focus and no treat will help .

its been a year or two ,cant remember when i started this and her anxiety is greatly reduced to a point of a normal dog no seizures which is the best part . i guess she associates the boom as a food reward and something positive .

now with storms they are longer in duration so it maybe more challenging to keep that focus on food . probably depending on the storm might need the whole cupboard .

another thought with jesse is her cortisol levels were low but i never got her tested because she has calmed down
                          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh, believe me, I've tried the treats and just about everything, except Judi's suggestion of riding in the car ...I don't even think that would help, cause we were traveling once with him and it started storming and he got all worked up.

I've come to accept he is a lost cause with this anxiety. I leash him at night and keep him in the room with me, cause as soon as it starts to storm or he senses it coming, he runs around and wants to pee on everything...I'm sure its a nervous reaction, and not something medical, cause he is and has been housebroken for years. We don't leave him out alone anymore when we leave the house, we crate him, as he just has become untrustworthy when we aren't here. This all started pre-the diabetes...so I feel its a combo of his age and his disease that has brought about this crazy behavior. I have to say, it is very trying and frustrating to deal with. Someone from here kindly sent me a Thunder jacket, and it helps a tad, but I've never seen anything like his ability to override any sort of medication or attempts to calm him.

Comment

now with storms they are longer in duration so it maybe more challenging to keep that focus on food . probably depending on the storm might need the whole cupboard
                              I think you are right, we would be feeding him non-stop!

Comment

Working...
                              X