• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sydney - new member...

Update on Sydney:

Here are her readings thus far:

11/20 a.m. = 435; 9 units given
    p.m. = n/a (wasn't able to get any blood after numerous attempts); 9 units

11/21 a.m. = 386; mid day = 431; p.m. = 323; 9 units given a.m. and p.m.

11/22 a.m. = 309, 10 units given
    mid day = 210
    dinner = after numerous attempts, wasn't able to get blood; 10 units given

11/23 a.m. = 170; 10 units given
    mid day = 182
    p.m. = 72.....waiting until 6:40 to give shot (that will be 40 minutes after feeding).....any thoughts on what to decrease it to? 9? 9.5?

Thanks!

Tami
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I ended up going with 9 units tonight.

I have a feeling our magic number will be 9.5 units...
      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I'd decrease to at least 9u Tami. I've heard Peggy say she would decrease Forbin by 25% when he'd have a low and work back up. That would be 7.5u.

I know testing Sydney is a challenge if you suspect she's getting low later. I'd error on the safe side.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Sounds good. Keep us posted
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

May I chime in with a question, please. Patty, by "have a low" you undoubtedly mean a low BG reading. But below what number would you (or Natalie) reduce insulin by 25%? Thanks for letting me ask!
            Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
            Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
            Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
            Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I would say a low meaning low enough you need to provide additional food or if your dog's curve is valley shaped and you have a number that's quite a bit below 100 at shot time.

Reducing insulin to get out of that low territory allows you to find a higher starting point and work back up to the correct dose.

I remember Kevin's story when he was regulating Ozzi and had started Tramadol which tends to lower bg. That was one of those times: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...t=ozzi&page=12

Hope that helps,
              Patty

Comment

I tried to keep all blood sugar levels at 100 or above. Blood sugar isn't low until it starts going below about 75 or so. I have mild symptoms of low blood sugar when mine goes into the 60s - that's when I start to feel it being low - and am very uncomfortable when it's in the 50s.

Whether I would drop 25% depends on whether I can do a curve or not and on what I know about my dog's insulin dose.

With my dog, I would probably drop just 1 unit in response to a low because I knew his typical range, 7-8 units, so a 1 unit decrease is fairly substantial, and I could test to see the effect.

In Tami's case, since testing has to be sparse right now and the usual dose isn't known yet (and honeymooning is also possible), I would probably do the 25% reduction to, as Patty said, err on the safe side.

Also I'd give any change several days to settle in. You can see in Sydney's numbers how her response was changing over time with the numbers getting progressively lower.

Natalie

Comment

I gave Syd a snack last night before bed (10:00 p.m.).

This morning she was at 102. I gave her 7.5 units.

I'm glad that we finally got her blood sugar down - now just need to monitor carefully...

Tami

Comment

Sigh...

This morning, 102, gave 7.5 units.

2:43 p.m. = 110....gave her a snack (some dog food)

6:18 p.m. = 86

Tonight I gave her 2.5 units.

Sounds like honeymooning?

Comment

It's a possibility. Seems like this was caught really early. Could be that the standard starting dose was just more than she needs too. Some dogs just don't need very much insulin.

The theory behind honeymooning is that once you inject them with insulin you not only rest the pancreatic cells but also break any resistance to the effects of the insulin that built up before they were diagnosed so the body becomes more sensitive after a few shots too.

http://www.k9diabetes.com/dogdiabeteshoneymoon.html

Kind of makes you think home blood glucose testing should be mandatory though...

Natalie

Comment

This morning she was at 93. I gave her 1 unit.

Comment

Wow Tami. Glad you're able to test her.
                          Happy Thanksgiving to you.
                          Patty

Comment

My poor babies....

Today I was going take Soaphie for a walk and Sydney decided to go with. 98% of the time she doesn't go for walks. We got around the corner from our house - maybe 50 yards away - and two pitbulls came running down the street out of no where and attacked the dogs. Mostly Sydney. She was pinned to the ground by her neck as I was screaming bloody murder having a total out of body experience. It was horrific. The other dog, in between biting at Sydney, was trying to get Soaphie. I was getting tangled up in the leashes and let go of Soaphie's so she could try to get away. Then Syd's collar came off and I could then use the flexi leash / collar thing to hit the dog that had her pinned down at the neck. The dog let go and when Syd tried to run away both pitbulls took her down by her back legs. Then Soaphie started growling at them. I continued hitting at them with the collar / flexi leash combo and Syd kept running towards home. Erik heard me screaming and came up and herded the dogs back into the house. I then went outside and a lady was going around the neighborhood looking for her dogs - she found them - then I found her and gave her yet another "out of body" screaming session. It was the sister of the owner of the dogs. The owner then came home and I had, yes, you guessed it, another out of body freakin' out on her. I called animal control on them then took Syd to the ER. She has staples in her ear and her abdomen and puncture wounds in her back hock and scraps on her neck.

I need to hit the lottery - I need some sort of good luck here...

Tami, Soaph and Syd....

Comment

Oh Tami, That is horrific! I'm so sorry you had to go through that experience and poor Syd and Sophie! I think the owners should be put in jail for letting their dogs run loose, especially pit bulls. Hopefully animal control will do something about it. I'd press charges and get them to pay the medical bills. You do need some good luck. I hope its right around the corner Tami. Prayers that Syd gets better soon.
                              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Thats horrific, I hope animal control do something - not sure how ur laws on things like that work over the pond but sue them for ur vet bills!
                                Hugs to you all after such a horrid experience.
                                Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Working...
                                X