No announcement yet.

Fragile Doggie and Mommy Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: URGENT - Fragile Doggie and Mommy Need Help!

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
    The 81 might be closer to 100. Not knowing where he is in his cycle and how close to meal and injection time I'd keep a close eye on his blood glucose. The thought process is that human meters read closer to accurate at lower numbers. Given the drop I'd be inclined to reduce his dosage. On my phone and have a hard time looking back so hopefully others will chime in on how much to reduce by.

Great job jumping in! One lucky pup you have.
    At the time I tested we would be about 4 1/2 hours out from his next meal. He ate at 9:30-9:45ish this morning.

I don't know how the numbers bounce around, but I was a little shocked to see it go from 140s, which would be higher, all the way down to 81, which sounds like it is at least not too low yet. . .

It took no less than four or five attempts in his lip to get this time to work. Some operator error at play. After the first two or three he looked as though I was not his favorite person in the world anymore.

And thank you for the words of encouragement. It choked me up and made me cry a bit. I have been running in crisis/adrenaline mode now and haven't had time to fall apart yet. Gotta' keep going, but your kind words at this very moment when I am worried about him dropping made me pause and breathe.

I am not sure if I should wait another two hours or just an hour. It would only be 15 or 20 minutes to go if I did it an hour after that last reading, but I hate to swiss cheese his lips tonight if I should be okay to wait until 6:45pm.
    Kristie & Snowball 8+yo? BROWN male Min Pin ; Dx 06-11-14; 6.8lbs! but 12lbs would be better!; 2 meals q D of chicken, broccoli, red beans, and oatmeal; 1u Novolin N BID; Testing with Relion Prime; cataracts. Lives with Fangie (8yo Rat Terrier), Mari (6mo old Rat Terrier), and three 4yos!!!

Comment

I'd be inclined to test at the hour mark. You could give a dab of honey or Karo and wait till the two hour mark if it's more comfortable. No need to add the extra stress. Karo is quick in and quick out,meaning it should provide an immediate boost but unlike a carb source it won't stay in the system long.

If he was ever really low you would want to give Karo and follow up with something carby like a milk bone, kibble, etc.

Both my husband and I shed tears while learning to home test. Saved our boy's life though.

Breathing is good. Over time it does become more routine.
      Last edited by momofdecker; 06-13-2014, 03:46 PM.
      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Within reason, it is always safer for your dog to run a little high than a little low. If you're not sure, I would give a little something to raise his glucose a bit.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I would retest now and see what it is higher or lower then 81. Someone on here told me there could be upto 20% inaccuracy on the human readings at 81 she could be up to 98 or as low as 64. Retest and see if its higher or lower.

Comment

5:46pm is 58.

Sounds like this is not 58, but it is time for some Karo, yes?
            Kristie & Snowball 8+yo? BROWN male Min Pin ; Dx 06-11-14; 6.8lbs! but 12lbs would be better!; 2 meals q D of chicken, broccoli, red beans, and oatmeal; 1u Novolin N BID; Testing with Relion Prime; cataracts. Lives with Fangie (8yo Rat Terrier), Mari (6mo old Rat Terrier), and three 4yos!!!

Comment

Oh, how much???

The handout the vet gave me said something like a T with syringe.

Should I just smear on his gums?

Comment

Smear some on his gums right now, then give a snack or something that he'll definitely eat.
                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Okay, it was actually 1T/10lbs so I gave him 1 1/2t. We have no milkbones so he got a pizza crust chaser. Thin crust and only about 2" long by 3/4" wide. . .

OH CRAP. I was reading so fast. You said Karo BUT IF he was ever REALLY LOW it would be Karo + carb. . .

Hope it didn't muck things about.

I am sure I will retest at my 6:45ish time that was my original 2 hour mark.

Comment

I tended to take anything under 60 at face value. My boy was a 90 pounder and we would start with a spoonful of Karo. I'd probably start with less with a smaller dog but I would also give something carby to help sustain the rise.

Hang in there. Lots of folks here to help you through.
                    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by Cara Sandler View Post
                      Smear some on his gums right now, then give a snack or something that he'll definitely eat.

Ha. Well he got the Karo syrup and enjoyed it very much. He also definitely ate the pizza crust. He always has like the crunchy bits although they have been off his diet now for months, and he pouts when he smells pizza.

I hope I didn't mess it up. I was just afraid to wait in case everyone was at supper and didn't check in until an hour or two from now.

And so much for his picky appetite. Perhaps I should feed him pizza for every meal. He sure didn't pause when he smelled that.

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                        I tended to take anything under 60 at face value. My boy was a 90 pounder and we would start with a spoonful of Karo. I'd probably start with less with a smaller dog but I would also give something carby to help sustain the rise.

Hang in there. Lots of folks here to help you through.

Ah, well that being said, Snowball would like to know if he may please have more of the pizza crust?

Comment

Re: Corn Syrup NOW, or Are We Okay???

81 is higher like add 30 is 111

I give riliey half a milkbone dipped in some karo just a little

using a syringe will spike him too high.

If that 81 was over 1/2 hour ago test again if its not up

give the busciut with abit of karo follwed by some solid food

you need to raise him by dinner to give him his insulin

keep posting his numbers, stay calm okay

tonight just give him the 1 unit of nph insulin but chech his fasting number first

he needs to eat more to match up with the insulin

did he getca snack midway at the 6 hour mark?
                          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Sorry no pizza
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                              Sorry no pizza
                              Pretty sure I saw him roll his eyes at that.

Comment

LOL! I'm sure you didn't mess it up. With the readings you were getting, he was definitely at risk of going too low. You did great!!!!!!!! And it probably goes without saying, but I feel the need to say it - you need to reduce his dose of insulin at his next meal :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X