No announcement yet.

WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

I may have missed the announcement here, so kindly show me where I can find it here.

I went to Wal Mart yesterday to get a bottle of Humulin N. They no longer carry it and say Wal Mart is changing the name to Novolon (sp??) but they don't know when it will be in the store.

Can anyone update me on what this all means?

Sadly I had to go to another store and pay an outrageous price for Humulin N.

I haven't been around much, as life took quite a turn recently. My apologies if this is "old news" but it isn't for me!
    Last edited by spiritdog6; 08-31-2012, 04:14 AM.

Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

No, not old news. It has been posted by a couple of people that they have been in the same situation. Craig started a thread "Relion Insulin" for it just Because it seems to be coming up more often.
    Tara in honor of Ruby.
    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Thanks Ruby I looked at that thread but that is ReliOn R and N, not what we use Humulin N.

Seems WalMart is changing both of them???

It was over triple monies I had to pay for a bottle of Humulin N yesterday. I can't afford that for very long at all. $85 for one bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritdog6 View Post
        Thanks Ruby I looked at that thread but that is ReliOn R and N, not what we use Humulin N.

The Relion N.....IS Humulin N..... What most people on here use

Sandy

Comment

Relion N is Humilin N. I just checked my bottle and it says Humilin N on it. They just package it under the Relion brand name for walmart.
          If you have your old bottle of insulin that you have been getting from walmart you may see the Relion name on there, on the box it was pretty small, but Humilin N was printed in big letters.
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

You are both right, in tiny letters I see ReliOn on the box, never noticed it before.

So what is the "scoop" with the new Novolin brand that Wal Mart says is "coming"? Anyone know?

Comment

You could post to them at the walmart Facebook page.
              Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Bought a vial yesterday. No shortage here and the pharmacists weren't aware of any problems or a supplier change???

From what I saw yesterday on Facebook, it seemed to be east coast / mid Atlantic states where the outages were ... NY, PA, MD, VA ...
                ???????????????????????
                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
                  You could post to them at the walmart Facebook page.
                  Actually, it's the "ReliOn" Facebook page.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

If it's true that Walmart is switching their ReliOn branded insulin from Humulin to Novolin, it really isn't a big deal. Apparently, Walmart / ReliOn has two of the biggest producers of insulin bid on a contract to sell their insulin. For about the past two years Eli Lilly had the contract with their Humulin insulins. Prior to that, we were getting Novolin insulins that were produced by Novo Nordisk. Both companies make quality NPH, as well as other insulins.

We had a minor panic two years ago when Walmart went from Novolin to Humulin, but I believe everyone made the switch without a problem. The formula might have some very minor differences, but if I'm remembering correctly, Annie's dosage remained the same. Of course, it might be prudent to make a slight reduction for the first shot or two just to be sure your dog reacts the same on Novolin-N as on Humulin-N.

Just hope the stores get restocked with either soon, and at a good price.
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

For most it did not matter whether using Humulin N or Novolin N tho I personally know of 3 avid blood testers where it did matter and had to buy the more expensive Novolin N.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

i think the biggest problem is the lack of information and with that people tend to make up there own stories . you must remember humans use this insulin also and in larger quantities and just the word shortage can empty the shelves

i bought 3 vials yesterday just for back up and if you need insulin today and there is no more relion then you might have to purchase at a higher price this time around i was fortunate i could get it at sams club and they let me purchase without a card

many times when not much information is given they do it so not to induce panic so it maybe prudent to get an extra vial if available which really is a good idea anyway just for back up

as craig said last time around it took care of itself fairly quick we had to wait maybe 2 weeks till the change was complete and the shelves were stocked in my area . we do depend on this price and type of insulin but if i had to i would cancel my tv to buy insulin for jesse
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                          we do depend on this price and type of insulin but if i had to i would cancel my tv to buy insulin for jesse
                          Annie would NEVER allow us to cancel cable TV. How could she watch ANIMAL PLANET?!
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Well I am in OR, west coast and my Wal Mart is out of Humulin N.

I wrote Wal Marts FB and all they wrote back was that I could order online. I don't think they actually read what I wrote.

I'll try ReliOn FB.

Comment

In los angeles area I just went to one walmart they already have the novolon relion n and it sells for $17 a bottle so less than humilin... however my other walmart still has humilin so going to get that for $25 a bottle instead until we have to switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X