No announcement yet.

WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Wow! $17 is a great price.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

maybe i should have not bought 3 of the humilin brand that is a great price
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Here is a chart comparing insulins that had been on the ReliOn site a few years ago. The chart indicates there might be some minor differences between the Humulin-N and Novolin-N. I don't recall anything major when we changed from Novolin to Humulin two years ago, but I'll probably back off about 10% on the dosage and run additional tests for a few days when I switch over to Novolin.
        Attached Files
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
          Annie would NEVER allow us to cancel cable TV. How could she watch ANIMAL PLANET?!
          I wonder who rules the roost at Craig's house?
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Thanks for posting the chart, Craig. This change might actually be a good way to curb Gigi's spikes if the Novolin begins to act a little faster than the Humulin. Might have been a blessing in disguise!
            Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

When we switched to Novolin from Humulin N, I noticed a slight change in Ali's patterns. It does seem to kick in faster for us and her pattern was a bit flatter then.

But Ali's sensitive to the slightest things and we also have a lot of variables on our table even in the best of times.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I asked the pharmacist at my walmart and he knew nothing of the change but said that doesn't mean it won't happen. Anyway, I bought 4 bottles since they had 15 on hand.
                Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jim maceri View Post
                  I asked the pharmacist at my walmart and he knew nothing of the change but said that doesn't mean it won't happen. Anyway, I bought 4 bottles since they had 15 on hand.
                  Jim, that means little as back in 2010 when Walmart was in the process of switching from Novolin to Humulin I asked a pharmacist the very same question....he too said that he knew nothing of this news.

I believe I bought about 10 vials of the Novolin N because I didn't want to deal with any possible changes with the switch to Humulin N.
                  I put off the change over for about a year.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I called Walmart here today. One said they are switching but not until "later this year." I think they just don't have it yet and aren't very well informed. So I called another close by and they said they have the Relion Novolin in stock now and price is $17.60 pre-tax.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                      So I called another close by and they said they have the Relion Novolin in stock now and price is $17.60 pre-tax.
                      Wonder what the true price is? I mentioned in another thread yesterday that my local Walmart told me it (Novolin-N) was a little under $25. $17.60 would be great. If my local store was selling it for that price I'd be tempted to buy 3-4 vials! I just might drive over this afternoon, but I still have an unopened Humulin-N vial.

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                        I called Walmart here today. One said they are switching but not until "later this year." I think they just don't have it yet and aren't very well informed. So I called another close by and they said they have the Relion Novolin in stock now and price is $17.60 pre-tax.
                        Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                        I just phoned my local Walmart. They have made the switch to Novolin and said the price is a little under $25. I didn't press for the EXACT cost, probably would have to ring it up on the cash register to give the price. I'm happy for now.
                        Originally posted by Scootersmom View Post
                        Our Walmart in Pa. is selling the Novolin for $24.88. Same price as Humulin. The pharmacist said it is almost identical. There are 3 molecules that are different. Whatever that means. Going to call our vet tomorrow to see what she thinks.
                        Originally posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
                        Walmart used to sell the Novolin brand, then switched to Humulin and guess now back to Novolin. Someone posted on another site she just bought Novolin at Walmart for $17.88. She is in Texas. She also said that her diabetic poodle has been fine with the brand switch.

I have to wonder what is actually going on with the price???
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Annie just asked the price on the ReliOn Facebook page. Wonder if they will answer?

Comment

Was just at a local Walmart picking up Daisy's Tramadol...so just had to ask about the ReliOn Novolin N ;-)....

The answer I got was yes, they had it in stock and for $24.88, also have ReliOn Humulin N at the same cost....but then things took a strange twist when the clerk looked at me oddly and said they've always carried both, ReliOn Novolin N as well as ReliOn Humulin N....at this point I could see there was no use in trying to explain or to question further.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I went to Walmart today to buy Humulin N for my dog which is usually $25.
                              They said they are not selling it any more and showed me a bottle of Novolin which they said would be the same price. So I guess I will have to go back tp paying $80 for Humulin N at the pharmacy. Can someone tell me what is going on?

Comment

Snoopy, I'm not expert, but what I'm gathering is that there may be a mild adjustment needed to switch to novolon, but that it should be mostly the same.

I have an extra bottle of Humulin N that I bought so I won't run into this issue for a month, but I plan to make the switch to keep costs in check. I will be doing a curve on Zoe within the first few days of the switch to see how it's working.

I'm still not sure exactly what I should be looking for or how these two insulins are different. But, I must keep my costs lowered, so novolon is it for me.
                                Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X