No announcement yet.

WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

for my jesse the switch to humulin had a milder profile jesse at the time had very strong action to insulin after shot the switch from novolin to humulin under the relion brand name seem to see that strong action a little milder where she did not drop as much during onset not a huge difference but i have to admit i did prefer the humulin

since the cost is so much lower for the relion brand we will switch back to novolin so for us we may lower the dose a bit because of the stronger action for us with the novolin maybe 5 to 10 percent and give it a week test a bit more and reevaluate .

it really isnt a big deal and many wont see any difference it may only apply to dogs that are a bit more sensitive to changes

so really the change is not something to worry about these things will happen change in dog food ingredients is very common i am happy they still have this insulin on the market and keeping that price point and thankful for that
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

+1 to what Jesse Girl said. I don't think I saw any difference between the Novolin and Humulin the last time Walmart / ReliOn switched contracts. I'll probably reduce by 1/4 unit the first day and run a curve.
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

We have 2 months worth of the Humulin N but will then be making the switch too if our Walmart has by then. She is so erratic these days what's one more variable LOL?
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Not sure where the owner lives but a post came across another site that a gal just bought a vial of ReliOn Novolin N for $18.00.
          (She is a reliable source)

I see the ReliOn site has updated their insulin information but also notice the price listed as being the same as before, $24.88 per vial.

http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I suppose there's no official statement about this change that is going to be made?
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
              I suppose there's no official statement about this change that is going to be made?
              ...more like HAS been made ;-)

Looks like 'they' just slipped over quietly.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

i think these lower prices that we are seeing in this $18.00 range maybe a temporary discount due to the disruption and it maybe a local discount for individual stores .

i would pick up a few extra vials at this price
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                  i think these lower prices that we are seeing in this $18.00 range maybe a temporary discount due to the disruption and it maybe a local discount for individual stores .

i would pick up a few extra vials at this price
                  Or the very low price is from years ago! I did a google search and came up with web page that stated ReliOn was under $17. Too bad that
                  was in 2000!

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2...ajor-retailer/
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I finally talked with my vet and he said there should be no problem switching brands/manufacturers.

So, guess I will be buying the Novolin N at Sam's. I had just purchased a bottle of the Humulin a couple weeks ago, unaware of the coming change, I always like to have a spare vial....good thing I did!

Comment

Sorry for sounding so dumb but what is the difference between Humulin 70/30 and Humulin N? My Walmart has both in stock at the moment Humulin and Novoulon.

Comment

Hi Frank,
                        70/30 is a premix of 70% NPH insulin (which is an intermediate acting insulin) and 30% R (Regular - which is a faster acting insulin).

Novolin NPH or Humulin NPH insulin is 100% intermediate acting insulin.

There's a great graph of the time/action profiles here:

You can see NPH has more of a gradual peak and the 70/30 starts a bit stronger and tapers off once the 30 or fast acting R portion runs out at about hour 7.

One of the reasons you may see a rise in Chase after the R has worn off. I've wondered if straight NPH might be a better fit for him. Let us know how Chase is doing in his thread
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolin?

Has anyone actually made the switch yet? Could you tell us about the experience?
                          Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

Just went to get new insulin and our local Walmart was out of the Humulin N. the pharmacist seemed very annoyed at me for asking about the difference and informed me I could get Humulin N but it would be$80. I am so nervous to try anything else since the smallest thing seems to set Cooper off. Tomorrow the vial we have will be 6 weeks old so I know I need to get new. Guess I will call my vet in the morning

Comment

I would reduce the dose slightly when switching just for safety. Then you'll have a cushion if your dog responds a bit different and can adjust from there.
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

So if she is normally on 4 units 2x per day would you reduce to 3.5 or 3??? Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X