No announcement yet.

WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

A 15% reduction would be about 3.5u. If her low point of the day is usually fairly low, near 100, you could always drop to 3 or 3.25u to be safe.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Again, I don't think any of us had trouble when we were forced to move from Novolin-N to Humulin-N the last time Walmart changed contracts two years ago. As Patty suggested, I'll probably back off 1/4 unit the first day and test an extra time or two
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolin?

I bought the Novolin today from Walmart and took it with me to the Vet. He said there should be no problem switching and to give the same dose.

I'll be giving Sadie her first shot tomorrow...

I do wish I had stocked up on the Humulin though because I hate the idea of changing anything at this point and we go through a vial about every two and a half weeks.

I checked a couple of other Pharmacies and one is selling Humulin for $86, the other was over $100! What a racket!!! No way I could afford Humulin at those prices.
        Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

We just saw my endo Spec. He told me to drop Side down to 5u and work my way back up to 8 u if necessary. That sounds a bit extreme, but I also know Side can be sensitive to drugs.

Change is the last thing we need. He was worn down by a vet stay of 13 days and has not recovered. He used up his reserve so to speak and is not bouncing back.

Both my parents died and that is why he had to stay at the vet. I knew it would be hard on him, but now I have a tired little dog all the time now.

I dread changing.

Comment

Both of your parents? I'm so sorry. That is a great deal to handle, and I wish you some peace.

And thanks for posting this. I will be cautious.
            Last edited by Cebe; 09-14-2012, 06:09 AM.
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your folks . Such a sad time.

5u also sounds like a bit more of a reduction than needed but some pups are more sensitive than others too.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. There just aren't any or enough words to provide comfort.

I wasn't really able to tell if the new insulin was any different or not because for the first time in forever Sadie totally refused to eat the morning I was supposed to start giving it to her so I could only give her a third the amount she normally gets. We are still working our way back to good numbers after that so it's impossible to tell anything.

Sadie's BG's have been mid 200's since we started with the new insulin so I'm just going to keep her at 28 units for now and see if those numbers change.

I'd still be interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with the Novolin.
                Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

Originally posted by jgr789 View Post
                  Very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. There just aren't any or enough words to provide comfort.

I wasn't really able to tell if the new insulin was any different or not because for the first time in forever Sadie totally refused to eat the morning I was supposed to start giving it to her so I could only give her a third the amount she normally gets. We are still working our way back to good numbers after that so it's impossible to tell anything.

Sadie's BG's have been mid 200's since we started with the new insulin so I'm just going to keep her at 28 units for now and see if those numbers change.

I'd still be interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with the Novolin.
                  Me too....It would be very helpful if we had a thread that posted the "differences" people are noting about the insulin change.
                  Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

We can still get Humulin N, and I purchased two of them, yesterday. Walmart said that a refrigerator full of Humulin, so I am hoping that we do not need to make the switch soon. They did confirm, however, that once this supply is gone, they will be getting the Novolon.

I think next week, I'll buy two more.
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by spiritdog6 View Post
                      We just saw my endo Spec. He told me to drop Side down to 5u and work my way back up to 8 u if necessary. That sounds a bit extreme, but I also know Side can be sensitive to drugs.

Change is the last thing we need. He was worn down by a vet stay of 13 days and has not recovered. He used up his reserve so to speak and is not bouncing back.

Both my parents died and that is why he had to stay at the vet. I knew it would be hard on him, but now I have a tired little dog all the time now.

I dread changing.
                      Oh, I am so sorry to hear you lost your parents! It's one of the hardest things to deal with! And having to deal with your pup not doing so well too... lots of hugs and good thoughts your way!
                      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Oh no! I wish I had seen this sooner. Many of the Wal Marts around me are now completely out of both. Glad we stick up an extra bottle usually but its time for me to get that extra.
                        Shelby has never been on the Novolin version, but I hate to change things with all her other things going on the past few weeks!
                        Shelby - JRT | b: 7/02, a: 9/14/02 | Addison's Disease - symptoms appeared 8/25/09, DX 10/5/09 | Diabetes - 5/26/11 | Blind 7/11 | W/D can/dry | Novolin N (Relion), Percoten (every 27 dys - Addisons), Prednisolone (Addisons), Actigal (for gallbladder), Liver supplement

Comment

Thank you all for your sympathy. It was a rough time (still is). They both lived very long lives (90s) and they were sick (mom ALZ/dad Acute Leukemia). The hardest part was having them die so close together. 4 days apart in July, dad died in the AM of the day of moms funeral. We had 2 funerals in 3 days. I know it is good they didn't have to live without each other, but it sure was tough and a scramble for the siblings. They both died at home too. Dad went to moms wake (via ambulance) talked to her, gave her kisses, and said "I'll see you soon". I'll tell you, there has never been a movie made that had this dramatic effect......seeing your mom in a coffin with you dad laying on stretcher next to her at the funeral home.......that was literally a body spinner to walk in and see. He died 7 hours later, and that was TOUGH.

I did post on the ReliOn FB page since they asked which stores were out of both. I just called my Wal Mart and they have the Novolin N in stock now.

The vet stay (13 days) while I was away really wore my dog down. He has many issues not just diabetes so the stress really wore him out and 2 months later he still is worn out. Even though the vet did all she could (she took him home to her house at night and on the weekends) he was still stressed.

So this change in insulin is scary for me. We really didn't need yet another "change" in our lives. I need this little guy.............he is all I have now.
                          Last edited by spiritdog6; 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritdog6 View Post

So this change in insulin is scary for me. We really didn't need yet another "change" in our lives. I need this little guy.............he is all I have now.
                            Wow. So sorry for your loss! I'm sure you can take comfort in the fact that they lived long together and not long apart, but it has to be so hard on you and your family.

Hope you don't have any issues with the change. I guess I'm about to find out myself how Shelby will do on Novolin. I wish I had known sooner so I could stock up a bit. The last thing we need at our house is more going wrong.
                            Shelby - JRT | b: 7/02, a: 9/14/02 | Addison's Disease - symptoms appeared 8/25/09, DX 10/5/09 | Diabetes - 5/26/11 | Blind 7/11 | W/D can/dry | Novolin N (Relion), Percoten (every 27 dys - Addisons), Prednisolone (Addisons), Actigal (for gallbladder), Liver supplement

Comment

We are in the same boat as you and Shelby. Since my return Sidekick had a flea infestation, then we attempted to adjust his Cushing meds which REALLY created havoc in his system, then I found an injury under his chin, then he was licking his foot raw, then he had skin issues on his stomach, and his chronic bronchial disease has kicked into high gear as well.

Like you we would just like normal to return and changing insulin doesn't quite fit that bill. We have a few more weeks with this $85 bottle of Humulin.

Sorry you and Shelby have had a rough go of it too.

Comment

After the amount of money we have spent, sometimes $85 doesnt seem like much, but when you consider that you can get almost 4 bottles of relion for one bottle of branded humulin, it just makes me feel sick.

Here's hoping we can also be some of the people who see little to no change with the Novolin.

Comment

Working...
                                X