No announcement yet.

WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Look at the change this way: Novolin might give your pup better regulation! It's possible.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I can only DREAM that something would actually work out for the BETTER and not worse after all this time - crossing my fingers and toes as I used to say as a kid!
      Shelby - JRT | b: 7/02, a: 9/14/02 | Addison's Disease - symptoms appeared 8/25/09, DX 10/5/09 | Diabetes - 5/26/11 | Blind 7/11 | W/D can/dry | Novolin N (Relion), Percoten (every 27 dys - Addisons), Prednisolone (Addisons), Actigal (for gallbladder), Liver supplement

Comment

Went to the Walmart here in Marinette, WI...The girl said they were all out of Humilin N...I had to ask her about the new insulin Novolin N..She found a bottle..It is made in Denmark....I hate switching from the Humilin N...Hattie is still so up and down..but maybe fingers crossed this will be better....can't afford anything else right now...

Comment

Originally posted by kitrose08 View Post
          Went to the Walmart here in Marinette, WI...The girl said they were all out of Humilin N...I had to ask her about the new insulin Novolin N..She found a bottle..It is made in Denmark....I hate switching from the Humilin N...Hattie is still so up and down..but maybe fingers crossed this will be better....can't afford anything else right now...
          i was happy when jesse switched to humilun under the relion name because she was so unstable and things did get better so switching back isnt as exciting but i think she will be just fine with the change back

most things dont remain the same over time and we have to expect change from time to time even within are dogs lifetime and must be ready to adapt to the new reality
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Bumping this up for newer members

Comment

Good day.

Walmart forced us to switch from Humulin N to Novolin N 5 days ago. Their pharmacist told us it was "basically the same thing," which many websites seemed to confirm. My buddy Joe Cooper, who is blind from diabetes, started having severe diarrhea today. I did a BG test, and his levels shot from 200 to 430 at the same time of day in less than a week--with the same amount of insulin.

Other factors could be to blame, certainly, but FYI. We're upping his injections by 10% immediately and keeping a close watch.

Comment

Hi
                I'm assuming you only had 1 reading of numbers in the 400's. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, they will have a number like that out of the blue. By the next fasting, he could be right down in his " normal" range. When people on here want to up the insulin over a single high reading we call it " chasing the numbers". I personally would have NO increase in dose until a complete curve is done..... A full 12 hours. It actually could cause more harm than good increasing on a single number, and you certainly don't want to risk a hypo. What was his numbers in general today???

Sandy

Comment

Hi, Sandy. The severe diarrhea set me in a bit of a panic--last time that happened, he was hypo- with readings in the 20's. His readings fluctuate quite a bit, and getting him dialed in was a year long (and very expensive) project.

Yes, the 400+ reading was the only time he's been that way in over a year, and it was a single reading. I haven't done a full workup on him since the switch 5 days ago. I had been planning a 12 hr. test tomorrow, giving the insulin a few days to work at his previous levels (25 units.) Between the time I posted last I gave him his PM shot at 27 units.

Is total fasting a good idea with a diabetic dog? I fed him a small dinner (his usual low-fat, homemade food) with a little scoop of pure pumpkin for the tummy. Was thinking about giving him some kaopectate, too.

Comment

Fasting can help a dog's tummy 'rest.' But you want to only give 1/4 or so of the usual insulin dose. A full dose on less food can lead to hypo.

If you fed less with a full dose, you'll need to monitor carefully as he may need more food to prevent lows.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

The only time I've withheld food was for almostv24 hrs and THAT was because of uncontrolable vomiting.... Never have for diarrhea..... Just fed boiled chicken and rice for that problem

Did he not get his normal amount of food tonight, but got a higher dose of insulin??? Watch him closely tonight, and better yet, I'd give a little more food to balance out the increase of insulin.

A curve, based on your 25u tomorrow sounds like a great idea!! Post your numbers before you increase..... You might be surprised

Sandy

Comment

If you gave him the full dose of insulin I wouldn't cut his food amount.

I assume you want to fast or reduce the food for the diarrhea? To do that safely you would also need to cut the insulin dose proportionately.

Beyond that I wholeheartedly second what Sandy said about raising the dose based on one high spot check.
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.
                        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Well, Joe Cooper's back in range again, thank God. And thank Sandy and all the rest of you for your good advice. It does appear I gave in to "chasing the numbers." This is a frustrating game--but he's worth it.

Comment

Just an update on Shelby and the switch - we finally made it last week. I had stocked up on Humulin in August. She actually seems to be slightly more level on the Novolin.

The first few days I lowered her dose of course and her readings barely changed within 50 points high and low but she was in the 300-350 range. I was only able to measure 3-4 times over the course of each of those 12 hour periods since they were work days, so it's possible something weird happened I didnt catch.

We are back at 9.5/10 units now, and her readings vary more high to low. She is however staying mostly between 100 (on the Relion Confirm) and 250. It's only been a week, but I havent seen some of the higher morning readings I have seen quite often before.

We'll see how it goes! Good luck to everyone else!
                            Shelby - JRT | b: 7/02, a: 9/14/02 | Addison's Disease - symptoms appeared 8/25/09, DX 10/5/09 | Diabetes - 5/26/11 | Blind 7/11 | W/D can/dry | Novolin N (Relion), Percoten (every 27 dys - Addisons), Prednisolone (Addisons), Actigal (for gallbladder), Liver supplement

Comment

Three weeks ago I went to Walmart to purchase the Humulin N and the cashier handed me Novolin N and said it was the "same thing". Seventeen days, later my pug was having a diabetic seizure for the first time. We took a trip to the vet 2am in the morning and her gluclose level was 40. I have been using the Humulin N for 15 months and my Ginger was very well adjusted. The vet is pretty sure that the change of insulin was the reason for this visit. He changed her insulin dosage from 8 to 4 (in half) and I have to now start monitoring her at home. I feel stupid for listening to the cashier and I never even thought to question the change of medicine. $600 later....... My knowledge of diabetes is minimal and I'm learning a little more each day. I now have to order a glucose meter kit..any suggetions anyone? The vet suggested Alphatrak 2.

Comment

There was a time, years ago, when I viewed the Humulin and Novolin as essentially interchangeable, but as the switches have been occurring over the past year or so, it seems that they do have somewhat different effects on some dogs, probably dogs who tend to be sensitive to small changes in insulin anyway.

We have seen enough reports of a difference that I recommend a small decrease in the insulin dose when switching from one to the other just to be safe. Could be in processing the insulins the two companies produce slightly different products.

AlphaTrak 2 is the meter for dogs and cats and it has a pretty good track record in terms of accuracy. It is, however, a lot more expensive to buy and use - both the meter and the test strips, with the test strips being the larger cost over the long run.

I had an AlphaTrak but 99% of the time I used my OneTouch Ultra, which was, for my dog, generally about 35-40 points lower than actual blood levels when compared with a lab analyzer. I think the OneTouch Ultra is the most reliable of the meters for people when using with a dog.

I also generally prefer the full size meters over the "micro" or "lite" meters. Since there is some difference between canine and human blood, it helps to have a really really accurate meter to minimize those differences.

My preference for a lancing device is Accuchek Softclix / Multiclix... may have some other names as well. You want to stay away from very fine lancets - 25 or 26 gauge lancets tend to most reliably produce a blood drop.

If you haven't already, you can see video and picture tutorials of places to test your dog's blood sugar at www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

Testing blood sugar at home is a great tool. Most of us found it much saner to manage our diabetic dogs when we could check the blood sugar, particularly for lows.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X