• Show
Clear All

Re: Reba's numbers

Hi Denise,

How are Reba and Bubba doing?

Natalie

Comment

I forgot about Bub's stitches, they were removed yesterday, it's been 3 weeks! I don't think they would have taken them out at 2 weeks the way it looked then anyway but I felt like a dumb butt for not even thinking about it!

He is his crazy self, enjoying his extra canned food and doesn't seem to notice the meds in it. He's lost 1/2 pound so will watch that too.

Reba seems pretty good for the most part. I got her flax essence yesterday so that and the melatonin now and see how she does. Supposed to give it 3-4 months.

She isn't spending as much time in the bedroom and isn't panting as much, not eating all her food (which is normal for her and a relief from her begging and scarfing). No PU/PD. The worst part is how tired and old she seems when she gets up to go outside.

I'm also going to start her back on the glandular supplements now, Bogie too. We'd taken a break from that when all this started.

When do you get your report on Gus?
      Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
      Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

I hope the blood tests will be back late this week.

I'm so glad Bubba seems to be feeling okay!

No doubt better to take the stitches out later rather than earlier.

My Gandalf, a tiger stripe cat, had a small lump removed and the vet yanked on the stitches before it was time. She dove under the examining table and no one could get anywhere near her for 15 minutes she was so angry - she was a ball of growls, snarls, claws and teeth. Already a difficult patient, she was much worse after that experience so it did long-term damage to her ability to withstand veterinary care. The vet was an a.. about it too - last time we ever went to him.

Natalie

Comment

Re: Reba Update

Well, Reba is doing well on the melatonin and flax essence. She is moving more, lost 2 pounds, will get up for attention and greeting people, barks at nothing again, no panting, no stiff gait, appetite back to normal.

I'm amazed! It's hard to start a treatment that you know could take months and trying to be patient till you see results.

Now I need to get her in for an estrogen level test but Bogie kind of took over my life here for awhile.

Bubs is also doing great. He is running more than all the others combined, leaping stairs and gates and being a bit of a pain with some of the other cats. Taking his meds well too! So happy I can focus on one pet health crisis at once!!!

Comment

Got side tracked with the big C word so I'm late congratulating you on your success with Reba and with Bubba.

I'm so very happy to hear this news.

Natalie

Comment

Re: Reba update

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I posted about Reba. Didn't really have anything to report. She did well on the melatonin and flax for several months but this past fall I started to see the cush signs again. She was panting and thought she was starving. This turned into thirst and getting me up twice a night to go out. I emailed Dr. Oliver and he said I could double the melatonin and see if that helped in 30 days. It didn't so I took her to the vet last week and she had all the tests again, had the results on all but one test but it came in Monday saying she FOR SURE was a pituitary case. (which I knew but I understand a new vet wanting his own numbers).
              He has ordered Trilostain and when it comes we are going by the books on dose and will restest 2 weeks later. I am happy not to be thinking about Lysrodren.

One of my cats, Charlotte, is having breast cancer tumors removed today. Char is old, don't know her age but she was 6-8 when I found her and she has been with us 8 years. She is small, just a 7 pound cat before this cancer, I haven't even asked her weight but she is old, very thin, frail....but her labs were good so this is the only option other than euth and I don't go there till I HAVE to.

I assume the meds for Reba will be in by Thursday when I assume Char might be able to come home. So, in a month or so I should know if this helps Reba and it would be nice to sleep through the night again! LOL It's been months!!!!

I would encourage anyone that catches atypical Cushings early to try the melatonin and flax, it took a couple months to see that it was helping but it totally reversed her symptoms for at least 8 months.

Comment

Sorry that Char has to have surgery... She is tiny! Hope she sails through the surgery and is back to feeling good again in no time.

Reba's fairly large... what will her trilostane dose be?

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                X