Jenny the experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jenny the experiment

McGill's IM said that it would be fine to give him SAMe. So, I will start that in the morning. I read and the vet said to give it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. That is doable but I also read that you should not have food for an hour after taking it. McGill expects a treat after his trip outdoors in the morning so he's not going to be happy about that. Maybe the SAMe in a pill pocket will serve as a treat?

Carol, Winnie (always), McGill & Atty Cat

Comment

Well it may be a coincidence but it's been about 5 days since restarting the sam e and I have lost that sick in the stomach feeling and even the joints feel a bit better. Even if it's all in my head it doesn't matter if it is working. There are so many studies on sam e and I found this really interesting.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/same/a/samensaidsoa.htm

Jenny

Comment

I believe it has come out as being pretty effective in treating canine dementia too.

I'll dig out the reference.

Alison

Comment

I do forget a lot of things but am pretty sure I don't have canine dementia.

Jenny

Comment

Here's one reference: http://www.dolittler.com/2008/08/10/...it.Virbac.html

And a link to the study: https://secure.vlsstore.com/Media/Pu...X_09_02_69.pdf

Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Lulusmom View Post
              Here's the Urban Dictionary definition for nuf nuf.

I can't believe that you found it there.

Comment

Alison & Jenny, thanks for the links.

I'm going to start taking it myself too. McGill & I have not been doing well without our Winnie.

McGill is very anxious whenever we go outside the house. I think he is just very uncomfortable without Winnie. While they went their separate ways in the house mostly, whenever I took them out for walks and front yard potty breaks, they were together. So, I'm thinking it might help some with the anxiety too.

We shall see.

Carol, Winnie (always), McGill and Atty Cat

Comment

Update on the sam e.

I had my monthly bloods done and ta da here it is....

AST 23 41 21
                  ALT 34 68 40

Those are the last three results, the first ones taken in March while on sam e, the second in April when I was off sam e and the bold ones taken yesterday back on sam e.

It is certainly looking like there is some merit to the benefit claims of sam e (for humans anyway) so I will continue it.

Jenny
                  Last edited by BestBuddy; 05-14-2009, 06:26 PM. Reason: getting the months right

Comment

Jen that is great! Do you feel better?!! I'm interested. How did you calculate the dosage? Kim

Comment

I didn't have to work out the dosage as it was on the bottle. The following is the one I am taking with a bit of info on the benefits...

Naturopathica MoodLift is the exciting new supplement containing the world renowned active ingredient S-Adenosylmethionine or SAM-e now even better value in 60 tablet packs! This amazing naturally occurring substance shows an incredible versatility in treating a number of ailments including emotional imbalance, osteoarthritis and liver disorder. Scientific literature shows SAM-e is equal or superior to tricyclic antidepressants such as Norpramin and Elavil, works faster and has no significant side effects.

What is in it?

SAM-e - not a vitamin, mineral or herb! S-Adenosylmethionine is a molecule that all living cells, including human cells constantly produce by combining methionine, an essential amino acid found in fish, meat and dairy products with adenine triphosphate, a molecule important for energy production. SAM-e is responsible for methylation, which occurs a billion times a second in your body, affecting everything from cell function to liver function to brain function. Methylation is where one molecule donates a molecular branch (a methyl group) to another molecule. As the most important active methyl group donor, SAM-e enhances the effect of the neurotransmitters responsible for mood ie. L-dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine, by inhibiting their breakdown and speeding up the production of the receptor molecules which they attach themselves to.

Moodlift also contains Vitamins B6, B12 and Folic Acid, which assist the bodys own SAM-e production and also as deficiencies in these would reduce the benefits achieved with SAM-e

It's certainly not hurting me and may be the reason for the better liver numbers so I will stay on it.

Jenny

Comment

Does anyone have an idea of how much of a difference the Vitamins B6, B12 and Folic Acid makes? I was giving Wylie SAMe - some brand I bought from Walmart. I recently bought SAMe from Vitacost.com because it was much cheaper (twice as many doses for about $5 more), but I don't think either brand has the additional Vitamins B6, B12 and Folic Acid.

BTW- for the pup joints...I read this article recently:
                        http://www.dogaware.com/wdjarthritis.html

-Susy

Comment

Susy,

That is a great link. I like the fact that there are a lot of natural things we can do to help before having to resort to the drugs.
                          I didn't have much choice (only two brands) with the sam e so I suppose it was just luck that it had vitamin B...

From your link....

SAM-e (s-adenosylmethionine), a supplement that is used to support the liver, can also reduce pain, stiffness and inflammation caused by arthritis. It works best when given apart from food, and should be combined with a B-complex vitamin

I do take glucosamine as well.

Jenny

Comment

Jenny,

Thanks for pointing out the B-complex from the link... oh geez, will I ever be satified with Wylie's supplement cocktail recipe???? I'm always tweeking it... when will it stop???!!

-Susy

Comment

Thanks for posting the info everyone, I was looking into this for Niki.

Suzy thanks for that link, i was laughing at the dogs name "Piglet"
                              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Working...
                              X